cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone has a split personality now. I can text friend, but friends can't text me back.

Megadda
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

BUT I have to say, it's inconsistent. 
Some friends can text me back and some can't. 

So, I just activated my old phone, using a new sim card. My number was hand picked from the list, as per usual. BUT, when I texted my closest friend, she texted my new number and someone else responded, saying they had my new number months ago. 

Is there a way to fix this? Do I need to *somehow* contact this person and get them to turn off their phone? Do I just wait it out? What if more friends have the same problem? I would never know. How do I fix this? 

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

@Kathy2 @Kim1971kim Try to read through a thread before responding, especially a day AFTER the problem has been resolved: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/My-phone-has-a-split-personality-now-...

'ta. Robot Happy

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Kim1971kim
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Contact public mobile and maybe change your number again? 

Kathy2

This would be a porting issue. What carrier is your friend with? It could be held up on either end. If the number you now have through Public Mobility had been ported to another carrier in the past, people with the that carrier will reach your number on thier carrier when calling your number, Yet you will still be able to call / text out and reach people on any carrie . The porting became held up in the LNP data base where porting takes place. Ask Public Mobility to check it into or ask for another number. 

Megadda

I'm not using an iphone, but my friend was. I don't know if I just needed to give it more time or not, but there seems to be no further issues. 

[Marked Solved even though noone know why ... Luddite] unless it's because "good things come to those who wait" Robot wink

dhuffma

If you have moved from an iPhone to an Android or other type of phone, you may have to deregister from iMessage in order to recieve messages from other iPhone users.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Megadda wrote:

But they said they got a new number now, and this was their old number. I'm able to text and receive texts via this number, but inconsistently. 

Are you using iPhone?

If yes, are the text messages ,which you received, from iPhone user too?

If yes, your iMessage setting is not correct to send and receive text messages to and from Android phone user.

Megadda

But they said they got a new number now, and this was their old number. I'm able to text and receive texts via this number, but inconsistently. 

@Megadda To me, it sounds like Public Mobile assigned someone else's phone number to you by mistake. If that happened, you will need to change your phone number.

Need Help? Let's chat.