cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new Triple Punch Sim Card on Iphone 5s says Sim not supported, etc etc

Tucana
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My Iphone 5s is supported, but when I put the new Triple Punch Sim card, bought online through Public Mobile, I get this message:

" The sim card that you currently have installed in this iphone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iphone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iphone be unlocked by your carrier."

When I bought the Iphone, it was NEW in a sealed box even though it's an older phone ..listed as "Apple iPhone 5S 16GB Space Gray LTE Cellular Bell IPHONE 5S 16GB GRY)" I assumed it once belonged to a Bell store and their over stock got sold to other sellers.  The seller, I bought it from, assured me it was unlocked, but I did contact Bell to confirm and they took the IMEI number etc and after checking, they told me it was already unlocked and must be a problem with the sim card itself and I must have received a faulty sim card. What to believe?? Would it be a sim card problem? When I was first activating it, I had to do it over a few times  because when I wrote down the sim card numbers it would say invalid, although I worte the numbers down correctly. I waited until the next day and tried again and it worked  and was activated.  

17 REPLIES 17

@Tucana wrote:

Just to follow up...After many attempts phoning Bell who had promised to unlock my phone and didn't, I received a message from their Prevention Assistance Team that does the unlocking. So, they told me I required a Bell sim card in my phone and then Customer Care will be able to unlock it. Sheesh! So, I bought and inserted a Bell sim card and phoned Customer Care who promised me he'd make it a "priority" and I would get unlocking instructions in my email in the next 4 hours...and same old story, it never happpened. After complaining that I never received the e-mail, yet again, they told me, because it was Friday and due to the weekend, it would not come in until Monday. So frustrated, and on that Sunday, I phoned again, not expecting anything would come of it.  But, I had a sympathetic person to talk to, who said she would send me the unlocking instructions right away and to stay on the phone and tell her if I received the e-mail. And Lo and Behold!, I did receive the e-mail! and now my phone is, hallelujah!!, unlocked! What a fiasco working with Bell.  

So happy to be with Public Mobile who's $15 plan is so much better than the $45.00 I had with Bell. And the only reason it was $45.00, was because I had a very old cell phone...as soon as you upgrade the Plans jump in price by quite abit.

Some one is pulling your chain! Any iPhone we have owned has been second hand. If it was a Bell Phone I unlocked it using the chat option on the Bell website. Sometimes I unlocked before I bought it just to make sure I was dealing with a somewhat honest seller....and SIM in or out I don’t know and was never asked to insert one. You give them the imei and they verify it was sold by them and then their two step and awkward process is to pass the request to someone else to submit the unlock to Apple. They then email you. I have never given them my real name and only give out my generic email address. If they ask why are you unlocking I say I want to use in USA or Europe and that my son in-law gave me his hand me down. And legally they have to unlock it anyways. But as we have all read Bell can be a bit stupid and unrealistic at times.  You then reboot the phone and that causes the phone to check in with Apple and the unlock will be completed. I have never been asked by any carrier to insert a SIM. And was the sim that you  inserted registered to their service....if not.....what was the point? Now I admit sometimes setting up a phone.....the phone will ask for a sim to be inserted.....and when that happens I have a collection of used unregistered sims that I use to finish the process. Chat hereThen click the chat pop up towards bottom right of screen.  

Nice to hear you are unlocked. Maybe you were dealing with some one that was stressed working from home. 

Tucana

Just to follow up...After many attempts phoning Bell who had promised to unlock my phone and didn't, I received a message from their Prevention Assistance Team that does the unlocking. So, they told me I required a Bell sim card in my phone and then Customer Care will be able to unlock it. Sheesh! So, I bought and inserted a Bell sim card and phoned Customer Care who promised me he'd make it a "priority" and I would get unlocking instructions in my email in the next 4 hours...and same old story, it never happpened. After complaining that I never received the e-mail, yet again, they told me, because it was Friday and due to the weekend, it would not come in until Monday. So frustrated, and on that Sunday, I phoned again, not expecting anything would come of it.  But, I had a sympathetic person to talk to, who said she would send me the unlocking instructions right away and to stay on the phone and tell her if I received the e-mail. And Lo and Behold!, I did receive the e-mail! and now my phone is, hallelujah!!, unlocked! What a fiasco working with Bell.  

So happy to be with Public Mobile who's $15 plan is so much better than the $45.00 I had with Bell. And the only reason it was $45.00, was because I had a very old cell phone...as soon as you upgrade the Plans jump in price by quite abit.

@Tucana call Bell and ask them to unlock it for you. Stay safe. 

Tucana

I was told that their is a cellular Bell Flex Lock on my phone that has to be unlocked first. What does that mean? Bell lead me to Apple that couldn't help me.

Tucana

Yes I did.

@Tucana wrote:

I did contct Bell to unlock my phone and went through the process and they were supposed to send me an e-mail with instructionson how to unlock it,  but I never received it, so I phoned today and they said my phone was already unlocked. 

Reboot your phone. Did you give them the IMEI number from the box, sim tray, or from settings?

@kselmak wrote:

You can also contact apple to have it unlocked

Do youl have tab on it?

NO. You cannot contact Apple. Apple sells unlocked phones and always has. You have to go back to the carrier that originally sold it and ask them for a free unlock. I do it over the chat option. So it won’t be Telus or Koodo. Likely Bell, Rogers, Fido or a discount carrier. 

@Tucana wrote:

I did contct Bell to unlock my phone and went through the process and they were supposed to send me an e-mail with instructionson how to unlock it,  but I never received it, so I phoned today and they said my phone was already unlocked. 

@Tucana  You don't have to do anything on your device to get it unlocked. Bell needs to send the request to the Apple servers along with the devices IMEI and it will automatically get unlocked. There's nothing to do from your end.

Tucana

Yes I will do that.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Tucana , I would agree with the numerous assertions that the phone is locked.  If you have another unlocked phone, perhaps you can try the SIM and convince yourself there is nothing wrong with it.  

@Tucana if you are still getting that message, it isn't unlocked. Call them again and insist that they unluck it. Stay safe.

Tucana

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

Your description says it is a Bell iPhone. Call either bell or Apple to have it unlocked. It's free. Your PM sim will work fine when you are done.

@Tucana try an update your iPhone to the latest software update

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Tucanayou can contact customer support here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/contact-a-moderator

Moderators are available from Monday to Friday from 8AM to Midnight EST and from Saturday and Sunday from 8AM to 10PM PM EST

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

You can also contact apple to have it unlocked

Do youl have tab on it?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Tucana  Your iPhone is locked. You need to call your previous provider give them your IMEI and ask them to unlock it.

Need Help? Let's chat.