cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My experience porting from Koodo Prepaid

clexxi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is not a question but I thought I would give my 2 cents with my quick swtich to Public Mobile.

Hi, I just ported my Koodo Prepaid to Public mobile in less then 30 minutes.  After reading multple posts here before making the switch I was reluctant to make the jump due to the complaints about Moderator timeframe to port Koodo prepaid numbers.

I decided to make my way to a Walmart to purchase my SIM.  The gentleman at the counter talked me into letting him do the entire switch including the port.  He had to do all the recommendations given here in the community (choose a number during setup) except one thing he had that us users don't have......a number to call for doing the actual port and talk to a human.  So my port went smooth and was done in less then 5 mins with a fully working ported number, talk text and data.  So happy I took this route.  I almost left the store purchasing a SIM and attempting at home and going through the wait game for a MOD to do the port.  Just thought I would give my easy peasy switch to PM from Koodo....any questions don't hesitate to ask.

I went fully prepared as well with my Koodo account #, phone # to be ported, and PIN.  This made the port go seamlessly.  Hope this helps others on the fence to switch and save $$$.

12 REPLIES 12

wingin

My porting experience was great; it only took few minutes. It was easy enough to set up the account/porting by myself. 

@Momof7 

I think you should take his sim card and switch to the appropriate plan for you the next billing cycle and get him a new sim card with the new number. Do you still have the access to the number you wanted him to have?

Momof7
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the help, I've submitted a ticket.

I don't understand why they would change it from the number that was assigned initially though to my number which is with another company altogether? So 3 different numbers by the time I get it to his? That's not cool!

Plus I have employees messaging me about work absences and I don't get the message because my son is getting it on his phone! I can't have this happening!

clexxi

@Momof7 wrote:

Glad it went smoothly for you! I went to walmart and they had me get a new number entirely then sent me home to make the switch myself. My son now has my own personal number, not the one I tried to port over. I'm not with Public yet as I wanted to see what it was like first so they would only even know my number because there was a spot to include an alternate number in case there were problems with the porting over. Now my 13 year old is getting all my messages on his phone! I need to get this fixed asap and I have no idea how. 

If you're not aware, Koodo prepaid when done online on your own you need to get a Mod involved to do the port.  Walmart in my situation was able to call and talk to a person and do the port for me eliminating the wait times for a MOD to complete the port.  There's many posts here when searching that show this.  Try using the ? to the lower right of your screen to prompt SIMon the online virtual help to initiate a ticket to solve your issue.

clexxi

@popping wrote:

That WM rep must has the phone number to the Telus porting department.

This could be the case, either way it was done promptly, phone working with ported number in less then 5 mins. Zero wait time for the Walmart salesperson as well, he got straight thru to the rep on the other end of the line.

Momof7
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Glad it went smoothly for you! I went to walmart and they had me get a new number entirely then sent me home to make the switch myself. My son now has my own personal number, not the one I tried to port over. I'm not with Public yet as I wanted to see what it was like first so they would only even know my number because there was a spot to include an alternate number in case there were problems with the porting over. Now my 13 year old is getting all my messages on his phone! I need to get this fixed asap and I have no idea how. 

clexxi

@kselmak wrote:

That's fantastic

Thank you so much for posting

Now other people who do the research before making a move will be able to see this post. 

Also would you mind sharing which Walmart was it, they are definitely not all the same.

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to also give them a good rating with the mention of that employee, that may motivate stores to get and keep such employees and to train them properly.

Thank you again and welcome to public mobile:)

I live in a small town in Amherstburg Ontario, this is the Walmart I used.  The employee was very convincing to just let him do the entire switch over from Koodo to Public Mobile.  He was very confident there would be no issue porting my Prepaid phone number.  He also said he wouldn't let me leave the store until I was up and running. Very impressed for a Walmart transaction.  First time using the Mobile kiosk at a Walmart.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

That's fantastic

Thank you so much for posting

Now other people who do the research before making a move will be able to see this post. 

Also would you mind sharing which Walmart was it, they are definitely not all the same.

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to also give them a good rating with the mention of that employee, that may motivate stores to get and keep such employees and to train them properly.

Thank you again and welcome to public mobile:)

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

That WM rep must has the phone number to the Telus porting department.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Glad to hear it went smoothly and I'm sure this will help others who are thinking of coming over from Koodo prepaid. Cheers!

tyedye00
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Awesome experience. Thanks for the share. I also had a fairly easy port into PM as well.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@clexxi   good to hear,   welcome to public mobile!! 

Need Help? Let's chat.