cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Public Mobile Experience (1 Year of Service)

SQuinless
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Everyone!

I just thought I’d provide some insight into my experience with Public Mobile now that I’m coming up to one year of subscribing to the service. I hesitated during my switch over to Public Mobile and I think I can probably help others make the leap with a bit more comfort by explaining my experience.

I was previously a Telus customer with a very good plan that I had for about 8 years. It was $60 for 5GB of data. I used to work for a cell phone retail store that sold Rogers, Telus, Koodo, Fido, and Chatr. Telus was hands down the company that I had to be with since I have been with them since 2005. 14 years later I’m still within the Telus company but now with their discount brand Public Mobile. I have no complaints with my experience with Telus. I’ve never had a billing issue, and any service issues I had were always rectified within minutes of calling a customer service representative. I first started thinking about switching my plan when I started to travel around Canada. My plan with Telus was local, so any time I travelled outside of Toronto I would be charged for making phone calls.

After shopping around I noticed that Public Mobile had the best deal around. $45 for 6.5GB and unlimited talk and text Canada wide. It seemed like a really good deal, I’d be saving $15 a month and getting 1.5GB more with Canada wife talk and text. The only hesitation I had was that the data was at 3G speeds. This fact made me hold off switching for almost a month, until one day my girlfriend and I decided to just suck it up and make the switch together. 

Another benefit when I switched was that I instantly saved $2 every month just for setting up auto pay. So now my bill is $43/month. That’s a total saving of $204/year just by switching to Public Mobile. Since being with Public Mobile I have not had any issues in terms of service and connectivity. Like I said I was initially with Telus and I can guarantee that I feel like I receive the exact same service for $17 less per month. As for the 3G service, of course it is a bit slower, but it’s not as bad as many people say it is. Sure you’re waiting a few seconds more here and there, but there isn’t any buffering issues or videos stopping suddenly to load. I watch Netflix, YouTube, and BellTv on my phone and even Favetime without any interruptions. I even switch off my Bell Fibe 50 wifi sometimes because my Data is faster than it sometimes. So all in all the switch has been great and the savings even greater.

I referred friends and am saving even more money per month, and since I’ve been with Public Mobile for almost I will soon receive savings for that too. All of this is brining my monthly bill down and saving me a lot more than when I was with my old plan.

As for the device I use. I have an iPhone XR. I bought this phone outright from Apple for just under $1,200. Yes this obviously seems like a lot of money to pay out of pocket but if you account for all the savings this is actually more cost-saving then getting it on a plan.

I usually keep my phone for about 2 years before I upgrade to a new one, based on that here is what being on Public Mobile works out to for 2 years including buying a phone outright:

iPhone XR = $1,162.77

Public Mobile Service (6.5GB unlimited talk/text Canada wide) = $43 x 24 months = $1,032

Total cost after 2 years = $2,194.77

Now for comparison with Fido. If I got the iPhone XR for $0 down on an XL plan with 2GB + 4 GB Promo and unlimited talk/text Canada wide for $115 it would cost $2,760 after 2 years.

That is $565.23 more being with Fido than buying the phone outright and getting a service with Public Mobile. Also, if I decide to keep the phone longer I’d be saving even more money per month. So for me, it’s an easy choice. Buy the phone outright and save huge on my monthly bill.

To sum it all up. This last year with Public Mobile has been great and I’ve saved a lot of money on my cell phone bill. I even switched my parents to Public Mobile and I now save a total of $89.32/month by having three lines with Public Mobile. Hopefully this post was helpful and can bring comfort to those thinking of making the switch to Public Mobile.

Enjoy!

12 REPLIES 12

sand--29
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have just switched over so this is very encouraging.  I ported my phone number and changed username all with no problems.  Next i plan to change my plan.  I was a littled worried because of negative comments i read.  However, I am happy to say that i joined anyway and glad i did.

mojorising
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I joined in February of this year and so far so good. I was with Wind/Freedom Mobile for 4 years. I called them one day and told them I was looking elswhere for better deals and if they could do anything to keep me on. Their reply, "We don't have anything for you. Sorry". Freedom Mobile means the freedom to go elsewhere and save money!

Bell3
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am a relatively new custom/member and I am also having very positive experience. I did break my previous contact in the middle to come into PM and I also did similar analysis before I signing into PM.

Good story and very good analysis. By the way, you can be a good consultant 🙂 

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

+1

Alan_K

@SQuinless LOVE this! The messages in this thread remind us all why we do the things we do. Thank you for sharing Smiley Happy

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@SQuinless,

I love this post.  I got in prior to the Fall 2016 promo.  I've just renewed my 2016 promo a couple of days ago.  My plan is the province-wide calling, 90-day with international text and SMS, and 12 GB of LTE data.  Cost originally $120 + taxes (13% Ontario).

I'm expecting the following rewards at my next renewal.  $9 loyalty, $6 AutoPay, and $15 for friend referral.  As I'm very active in the community, I'm only going to be paying $10 on my next renewal for 90 days.

I was with Rogers at $90/mo for more calling and fewer data.  I switched to WIND for a $20 discount on essentially the same plan as Rogers, with less reliable service.  I came here following that.

I bought a Pixel 3a 3 weeks ago outright from the Google Store online.  With a $150 credit against the $549 for accessories (waiting for the credit to arrive), making my phone and accessory costs $549 plus the taxes.

This is a great service provider.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

We're so glad to hear that you've saved a lot of money. This type of posts is what makes us proud to belong to the Public Mobile family.

Sincerely,
Public Mobile Moderator Team

TheOldVR

Good review, thanks for sharing @SQuinless !!

Sometimes we spend too much time focussing on the not so great stuff :(.

Raptors winning btw 🙂

MandyJ
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@sulagok wrote:

It's been a good experience for me and even those that I've introduced also never had any issue (which has been my fears when introducing my friends)

Yes, this too is my fear with introducing family/friends to Public Mobile, especially since I've been active in the community and see many people posting about their issues. But I have to remind myself, though people come to these forums with their problems, there are many, many more people who never post because they are are having perfect service. People tend to be quiet when things are working well. 🙂 That's why posts like these are very reassuring and highly welcomed.

sulagok

Thanks for sharing your experience here. Like you, I'm almost a year too and I've not had any issue with my account/connectivity since after the initial set up with few hiccups porting from Koodo.

It's challenging to decide on switching especially when you're informed that there'll be no customer service to call and all you'll be able to do is contact moderators and wait 48hrs and above for response.

I'm glad I made the switch, saving a lot of money and even getting a much better plan including calls to US.

It's been a good experience for me and even those that I've introduced also never had any issue (which has been my fears when introducing my friends)

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

It's always great to hear positive stories.

Great to see you did your homework before signing up. 

I did similar calculations before signing up and had similar results.  It's however hard sometimes to "convince" people even with the math. 

MandyJ

Thanks for sharing this @SQuinless . Always love to hear about positive experiences from other Public Mobile customers, especially since I'm a relatively new customer myself and haven't had that long to experience all the upsides (so far there's been no downsides for me) of the service myself.

I too love all the chances to save big on this plan. The autopay reward, the referral reward, the loyalty reward (when I can get there) - they all make this already affordable service even more affordable! And if you stick around in the community too, you can even get a community reward.

Before Public Mobile I never dreamed it would be possible to save so much money and still have a decent cellphone plan. It's wonderful!

Need Help? Let's chat.