cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Victoria from Vancouver

dinob
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am planning a move to Victoria from Vancouver.  I have been Public Mobile customer for 2-3 years now with phone number starting with area code 604.

• Do I need to change my area code and if so how?
  • Can I keep the rest of my number same (except area code)?

Much appreciated

18 REPLIES 18

604 = Only Greater Vancouver.

250 = Only Everywhere other than Greater Vabcouver

778 = Anywhere in BC

236 = Anywhere in BC

672 = Anywhere in BC

Don't confuse where an Area Code is available with its calling area. Where is available only determines where you may be assigned a number within that Area Code. Of course you can take a cell phone wherever you want to. Calling area is determined by provider and plan generally not directly related to areas shown in chart above. 

@dinob  take your existing 604 number with you and see how it goes. If you hear very often friends say "I tried to call you to see if you could come with me on a free 15 day cruise to Hawaii when my other friend friend couldn't go at the last minute... but I couldn't get the call to go through" that friend must still have local calling area service only. Frequently the message they will get is "your call can not be completed as dialled" (needs a 1 in front and caller needs a LD plan) which can be confusing.

AE_Collector

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dinob  I havent checked and maybe someone in victoria may know but almost all area codes offered in vancouver are (236) which can be anywhere in bc (604) and (778) basically denote vancouver but (778) can also not be local...(250) is usually all of Vancouver island and outside of the gvrd. Changing your number wouldn't really make much difference. Alternatively  the (604) area code is highly sought after so if you're not tied to it ...it has value in selling it. Not that you own the number but their are people willing to or want to acquire it.

Okay I wondered whether that might be the case. I think I would probably go for the 15Gb of throttled LTE over 12Gb of unthrottled but that's just me. I saw no difference switching to PM from TELUS in what I use data for.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector wrote:

That's the only benefit to the 90 day plans that I can think if. You are sort of creating a short term Roll Over Data plan within the 90 days. In this case the same $40 per 30 days buys 15Gb total data rather than only 12Gb but yeah, you can't use 6Gb in one 30 day period on the 30 day plan. Gets you Canada wide calling as well.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector , there is another difference the 12GB is LTE where the 15 is 3GonLTE

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

That's the only benefit to the 90 day plans that I can think if. You are sort of creating a short term Roll Over Data plan within the 90 days. In this case the same $40 per 30 days buys 15Gb total data rather than only 12Gb but yeah, you can't use 6Gb in one 30 day period on the 30 day plan. Gets you Canada wide calling as well.

AE_Collector

DanielleMarie
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am wrote:

@dinob wrote:

$120/90 days

• This plan includes: -
  • - 12GB Data
  • - Expired
  • - Unlimited International Text
  • - Unlimited Provincial Talk

I am not sure why is it expired and why it says Unlimited Provincioal Talk if every time I call to a non 604 number I get "long distance call message"

I have the same plan.  IIRC back in the day, they added the expired labeling to indicate the plan is no longer offered.  You can continue on the plan as long as you wish but just cannot get it back if you change to an in market plan. 

What's the benefit of keeping this plan besides paying less often? Unless I'm missing something you would get more for the same amount of money if you switch to the $40 plan? https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/40for4500MB-3Gspeed
Oh I guess some people might need to use a lot of data at once and then not use much for the rest of the 90 days? I use so little data I never come close to using it all so I didn't think of that at first.

I think you will find local people who will try to call and then give up when they hear you are a long distance call for them. Lots of landlines without a larger toll free calling area still. There are no 604 numbers outside the Greater Vancouver area. That said, it won't be a problem for you calling out but will be fire trying to call you if you don't change your number to a local one. JMHO

AE_Collector

@will13am wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@dinob wrote:

$120/90 days

• - 12GB Data
  • - Expired

I am not sure why is it expired and why it says Unlimited Provincioal Talk if every time I call to a non 604 number I get "long distance call message"

@dinob  Since you only have provincial wide calling in your plan, you may want to consider adding $5/500 Canada wide minutes add-ons.  These minutes don't expire and will roll over every month until depleted.

If Canada wide calling minutes were not needed while in Vancouver, it won't be needed while in Victoria.  It is the same province. 

I realize OP's province wide calling won't make any difference whether the calling occurs in Vancouver or Victoria, but I will still recommend that OP gets Canada wide calling add-on for the unforseen time when he may need to make a call outside the province seeing how inexpensive an add-on it is, plus being non-expiring. 

But, it's entirely upto OP to decide what's best for him, of course, because it's only a suggestion based upon what I would do if I had only province wide calling.

@dabr wrote:

@dinob wrote:

$120/90 days

• - 12GB Data
  • - Expired

@dinob  Since you only have provincial wide calling in your plan, you may want to consider adding $5/500 Canada wide minutes add-ons.  These minutes don't expire and will roll over every month until depleted.

If Canada wide calling minutes were not needed while in Vancouver, it won't be needed while in Victoria.  It is the same province. 

@dinob wrote:

$120/90 days

• - 12GB Data
  • - Expired

I have the same plan.  IIRC back in the day, they added the expired labeling to indicate the plan is no longer offered.  You can continue on the plan as long as you wish but just cannot get it back if you change to an in market plan. 

Personally, I would keep the same number.  There are very few people who have not cut the cord and continue to carry decade old landline plans that charge long distance calls across the street in the same neighborhood.  Province wide calling which is included in this plan is becoming somewhat obsolete. 

@dinob wrote:

... thanks, and what do I need to do then if I cannot keep my current number?

who to contact?

@dinob  Access your selfserve page and select the Change number option on the Overview page.

CN.png

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@dinob wrote:

$120/90 days

• - 12GB Data
  • - Expired

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@dinob wrote:

who to contact?

You can try adding +1 in front of all the numbers you are calling if you have calling within the province.

There is no requirement for you to change your number.  If you want to do it then just log into your self serve account and to the right hand side of the overview page you can select 'change my number' and from there follow the prompts.  You can change it once every 30 days.

Keeping or changing your number may impact others calling you if they don't have province/Canada wide calling, in that they may incur long distance charges.

@dinob wrote:

$120/90 days

• - 12GB Data
  • - Expired

I live in Victoria, and you can keep your number but any local Victoria landline that would be calling you would need to call long distance.  As for why you are told it is long distance is because it still is it is just included in our Provincial plan.  If any call would be long distance from a landline you need to dial 1 in front of the number and that way you won't get the long distance message.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

dinob

who to contact?

dinob

$120/90 days

• - 12GB Data
  • - Expired

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@dinob wrote:
  • Do I need to change my area code and if so how?
  • Can I keep the rest of my number same (except area code)?

Much appreciated

need to change my area code?  ------ no

keep rest of my number with same area code?      -------- no (unless you are very very lucky)

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

What is your current plan at PM?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.