cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile number selection

harshad
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't know how many of users coming onboard to Public Mobile are those who do not already have a mobile number they are porting in, but after having played around with multiple SIM cards from the three prepaid flanker brands, I have arrived at a conclusion that Lucky Mobile has the choicest numbers. In the same context, the number selection offered by Public Mobile or even Chatr is comparatively poorer. I may be wrong and to many this may not even be something they'd want to even consider but I do get a little zing out of it. Do you fancy "fancy" numbers? 

For e.g., I got a 416 number (which is quite a rarity these days), a number that is xxx-660-0001, or one that is xxx-ayy-ayyy. Quirky! 😉

13 REPLIES 13

harshad

With people moving around the country and Canada-wide calling becoming the norm for most service providers, the concept of "local" may enlarge or become redundant per se. Unless, of course, you move to a province which has preferred plans (QC, MB, SK) and the only way to get those plans was if you had a number with an area code from that province. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I moved. I went through a LOT of list refreshes looking for a specific area code and a somewhat reasonable prefix. I came across a couple few but the numbers were not anything "fancy" as harshad says.

As I was refreshing, I came across several new area code numbers that were kinda fancy. Even using the prefix let alone the last 4 digits. They were on the 10's. I could recite the numbers quickly but people didn't really get it. So I end up reciting it the familiar way anyway...123 pause...456 pause...7890 (not ninety). So the numbers I chose turned out to be kinda pointless. Oh well. I still think they're fancy numbers. After saying it I get some comments, but back to pointless.

I guess I'm old school as I think it's the thing to do to have a "local" number to where you are.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@harshad 

If you are in less populated areas like southwestern ontario it is easier to get a number you want. I played around with temporary numbers and some were pretty funky, as funky as a phone number can get. LOL

@zblackma wrote:

Our household is basically half n half (2 416 and 2 647 numbers). 

416 numbers offered by Public Mobile are certaintly possible as Telus Mobility does have 416 numbers assigned to them. That's going to be a rare thing as it would be subject to a number being available.  I have recently seen 647 numbers avaialble for activation.

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Our household is basically half n half (2 416 and 2 647 numbers). 

harshad

@gpixel Yes, it indeed is possible. You just need to enlist Moderator assistance by raising a ticket. 

harshad

Makes sense! @ most of the 416 numbers are assigned to Bell Canada. No wonder I got one off Lucky. 

@harshad  Getting a 416 number from Lucky is very impressive. I don't think that would ever happen with Public as those numbers would only  be available to higher tier providers like Telus and Koodo once they are available.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Lucky SIM card is cheap 33 cents at Canadian Cell Supplies. Get the cheapest plan and port out.

@harshad wrote:

I don't know how many of users coming onboard to Public Mobile are those who do not already have a mobile number they are porting in, but after having played around with multiple SIM cards from the three prepaid flanker brands, I have arrived at a conclusion that Lucky Mobile has the choicest numbers. In the same context, the number selection offered by Public Mobile or even Chatr is comparatively poorer. I may be wrong and to many this may not even be something they'd want to even consider but I do get a little zing out of it. Do you fancy "fancy" numbers?  

One can only choose from the numbers that are available. Consumers always have the option of porting a phone number in.  As to a number is considered good, that's subjective and different people will look for different things such as repeating patterns, specific area codes, or sometimes combination of numbers that may be cosnidered good luck.  

I also believe that sometimes, the regiion that you're in might determine how many numbers a carrier has available for a certain area code. If we take Toronto as an example, most of the 416 blocks of numbers are assigned to Bell Canada. This means taht you're far more likely to be able to get a phone number with that area code from them, although it will be a recycled number. 

I would also say that i this day, the person's phone number doesn't matter much compared to the past. I believe it rare that people memorize the phone numbers of others any longer and that the numbers are just saved in a electronic phonebook on the device.  

harshad

I got a good number on Lucky and ported it over to PM. The OP was just an observation per se. 🙂

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@harshad wrote:

It could also be largely due to the size of all 3 tiers combined using up the numbers.  You can also search for the last 4 digits you are looking for if it is available.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.