cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data to save on Samsung J5 (2016)

xanadu18
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I have just got a Samsung J5 cell phone, so I am still learning to use it.  I have 2 questions:

1. Whenever  I turn the phone on, the phrase "Emergency Mode" appears just below the PIN pad.  I thought my phone is already activated so this sign should not show up.  Any idea?

2. Phone screen has this message: "To save and manage mobile data, turn on Ultra data saving mode.  What is mobile data?  Where do I look for them in my phone?  Are they covered in my $15/month with auto-pay plan?

I look forward to hearing from you.  Thanks for your help.

11 REPLIES 11

@mimmo wrote:

@will13am  would it not ask for network unlock code if the phone was locked?

@will13am wrote:

@xanadu18, until you enter the unlock code for your phone, there are only limited functions available.  Thus the emergency mode which allows calls to 911. 

My bad, you might be right about that.  My first reaction here was screen lock, not SIM lock.  Looking at the release date for the phone, yeah it could be SIM lock. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am  would it not ask for network unlock code if the phone was locked?

@will13am wrote:

@xanadu18, until you enter the unlock code for your phone, there are only limited functions available.  Thus the emergency mode which allows calls to 911. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@xanadu18 wrote:

Hello,

I have just got a Samsung J5 cell phone, so I am still learning to use it.  I have 2 questions:

1. Whenever  I turn the phone on, the phrase "Emergency Mode" appears just below the PIN pad.  I thought my phone is already activated so this sign should not show up.  Any idea?

@xanadu18  When your device is not in use for security reasons it locks the screen and that message is just letting you know that only 911 calls are allowed until you unlock your phone with your PIN, Fingerprint or whatever other method you configured when setting up your phone. This has nothing to do with Public Mobile.

2. Phone screen has this message: "To save and manage mobile data, turn on Ultra data saving mode.  What is mobile data?  Where do I look for them in my phone?  Are they covered in my $15/month with auto-pay plan?

SInce you are on AutoPay your $15 plan comes with 250MB of data. That message refers to a feature of your phone that allows you on how to monitor and save data so you don't run out. It's also a feature of your device and has nothing to do with Public Mobile.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@xanadu18 wrote:

Hello,

You can look at this website for your questions:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/SM-J510FZWNBTU/

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@xanadu18 wrote:

Hello,

Did you activate your SIM card already?

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@goldilock wrote:

@xanadu18 Unless you purchased an add-on data plan, data is not included in your $15/month phone plan.  

Perhaps your phone by default settings has those messages to pop up. Go into your phone settings which on most phones the icon looks like a round gear and find the data settings and then turn or disable those options.  

It is if auto pay is being used for payment. And the OP is using auto pay.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

As for the first question, the first thing I would do, is shut your phone down, take out the sim for a minute, put it back in am start your phone again. Let us know what happens.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@xanadu18 wrote:

Are they covered in my $15/month with auto-pay plan?

Screenshot_20190807-111138.png

goldilock
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@xanadu18 Unless you purchased an add-on data plan, data is not included in your $15/month phone plan.  

Perhaps your phone by default settings has those messages to pop up. Go into your phone settings which on most phones the icon looks like a round gear and find the data settings and then turn or disable those options.  

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

As for data, the $15:plan has 250 mb. This is not alot. So I I were you, I would cycle your data on and off as you need it. You need it to surf the web, do email or check social media. Once you use the 250 mb, your internet access other thAn wifi will stop. No overage charges with PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.