Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minutes used

Torque
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello. New to pm yesterday.

100 min plan to start.

Summary screen says 26 min used of 100 so far.

But detail usage says different. 

I assume round up to a minute. I count a 12 sec call as 1 min, and 2 min 20 sec call as 3 minutes, my total outbound calls in detail page add up to 20 min.

But any idea where the extra 6 minutes came from?

22 REPLIES 22

Yeah if you watch your self-serve overview page, refresh it the moment an outgoing call starts ringing - you'll see your plans usage increment one minute. Then end the call before it is answered, refresh the overview page and you'll see your used minutes go backwards by one minute. 🙂

@kb_mv 

Ring time is only counted if the call connects. That's why the counter will show 8 or 10 seconds when you hang up just as vm answers. That half a second too late counts the full ring count. You will see it if you make a phone call and hang up at 58 seconds the call will use 2 minutes. It will show in usage as 1 min 6 sec. This is what is meant by ring time counts.

Torque

When I checked transaction history, I sorted by call type, so that outgoing were all together.

I assumed that would sort all the history. No.

It only sorted the first page.

So, yes, page 2 also had a couple calls.

Torque

The 705 voice mail number does show in minutes history,  so that's not it

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kb_mv wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I kinda thought you were on the $15 plan. What matters is the front counter. Try it again and in mid-ring refresh the page. Then again a few moments after. See what happens.

@Anonymous No change to the front page counter doing this. Learn something new every day. Thanks.

Hmm. I had thought I had remembered seeing it increment and then decrement after. Maybe it was a toll free. I hallucinate too much. 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

I kinda thought you were on the $15 plan. What matters is the front counter. Try it again and in mid-ring refresh the page. Then again a few moments after. See what happens.

@Anonymous No change to the front page counter doing this. Learn something new every day. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kb_mv wrote:

@Anonymous @Jb456 Just looked on my 100 min account. Not sure why I didn't think of this earlier. Called my other number, let it ring a bit and then hung up. No record of the call in my usage history.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous @Jb456 Just looked on my 100 min account. Not sure why I didn't think of this earlier. Called my other number, let it ring a bit and then hung up. No record of the call in my usage history.

@Torque  Could it be possible that a few calls have not updated to your usage history yet?

Would it be possible to look through your call history on your phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kb_mv wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

@kb_mv  not as soon as it starts ringing. As soon as the call connects.

Officially: Talk time is calculated from the start of a call to when it is disconnected, and includes ring time and call routing. Total call time is always rounded up to the nearest minute.

I suppose around these parts YMMV.

@Anonymous So just to clarify, the timer starts when the you place the call, including ring time. What happens if no answer?

I don't remember. I clicked on Get Help up top, typed in limited minutes, one of the suggested topics was what I was looking for, I copied the text.

It's why I said officially.

@Jb456 : also why I said YMMV 🙂

@Anonymous 

Sorry can't quote on mobile so screenshot it is.

Screenshot_20201102_154015.jpg

I have to say this is not true at least for me.

I take full advantage of free incoming calls. Most people I contact know to call me back. So I call their number and let it ring 2 or 3 times then I hang up and they call me back.

I have never been charged for minutes letting their phone ring. It's something I definitely would have noticed as I do this method 20/30 times a day.

Torque

The 705 voice-mail number does show minutes used in history, so thats not it.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Torque 

Are you looking only at the first page?

Click on next page and see if there is more

You are counting them correctly otherwise

If by any chance you are getting billed for incoming as well contact moderators https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

To get unlimited with 100 min if you have autopay download fongo, get free fongo number, calls transfers and forwards are free to Canada.

Call yourself using fongo, it's free because it's incoming, when you answer click on 'transfer call' in fongo and transfer the call to t number you want to call. Notice it is not 3way call, but a clean transfer, fongo will disconnect and only your cell and destination are connected. It will use 0.07 megs of your data

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

Officially: Talk time is calculated from the start of a call to when it is disconnected, and includes ring time and call routing. Total call time is always rounded up to the nearest minute.

@Anonymous So just to clarify, the timer starts when the you place the call, including ring time. What happens if no answer?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@JoyLuck  textnow @gblackma  got from me. Just saying lol

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Torque 

Also ensure you are checking all the pages under view usage.

Screenshot_20201102_153713.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 wrote:

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Torque 

From a post by @gblackma :

Add the TextNow voip app and use it via Wifi to make / receive / send calls and texts in Canada and to the United States for free. You can also use it as I do to check my voicemail from my own phone without using the minutes from the PM plan. Simply dial your PM phone number - reject the call when it rings (this sends the call to voicemail) - press the * key to allow you to enter your password. - enter - and you are in your voicemail account - Hang up when you are finished. No minutes used.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Torque 

Did you use the phone to set up voicemail? Did you check your voicemail using your phone? Those use minutes.

Edit: yow

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Calls are billed by the minute not seconds. You hit someones voicemail and hangup that's a minute.

Also calling your voicemail costs minutes 

You can add a $5 add-on for 500 Canada wide minutes that rollover every 30 days until all used up if you want.

Two steps to buy an add-in 

1 add money to account

2 click purchase add-ons and select the add-on you want to buy

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Torque wrote:

Hello. New to pm yesterday.

100 min plan to start.

Summary screen says 26 min used of 100 so far.

But detail usage says different. 

I assume round up to a minute. I count a 12 sec call as 1 min, and 2 min 20 sec call as 3 minutes, my total outbound calls in detail page add up to 20 min.

But any idea where the extra 6 minutes came from?

@Torque Did you check voicemail? They count as well. As soon as the number starts ringing you are charged if I am not mistaken, even if there is no answer. Disregard that last part

Need Help? Let's chat.