cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microscopic Megabyte Usage - Wazzup?

bashley
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just curious, no problem.

My Usage HIstory page online shows a couple of instances web data usage pegged at 0.001Mb.

0.001Mb? 

What might cause that sort of blip either in the reporting or my electronics?  I have my phone's access to data turned OFF. 

Thanks!

bob

Summerside, PEI

8 REPLIES 8

The very act of the phone connecting to data services, even for MMS, will use a tiny bit of data for setting up the connection, such as exchanging login information, IP address, DNS, and other network information thats negotiated upon connection.

bozenakirby
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So, what is the answer / solution?

I have data off, have not used GPS and am still getting that small web charge twice every day... I understand it is very small and practcaly does not make much difference but it is still so... anoying! What is it?!!!

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@gblackma  @bashley 

When location is turned on, GPS does not require data, however depending on the app even when wifi is off, a request could be make for data related to other functions and completed when data is eventually turned on. I believe also simply turning on data uses up a little bit of data to register the phone on the system.  

I've had the same thing happening, and I have data turned off all the time, except when it needs to be turned on for MMS, but since I haven't sent or received one of those for..... I dunno, over 2 weeks, that still leaves the data leak as a mystery..... 🤔 

bashley
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@darlicious wrote:

@bashley  Incidental data use from MMS or turning data on or off. Anything for MMS will show on your phone and in your usage in your account but will reset in your account but not in your phone. An immediate reset can be achieved by toggling airplane mode on and off.

Very likely, yes, thanks @darlicious .  I was indeed doing some switching OFF, denying certain apps data access, and some of it MMS related. 

bob

Summerside, PEI

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Noticed the same with data turned off. When I checked the time of the usage, It was when I was out without wifi. I have my location turned, which, in my opinion may account for these spikes.

@bashley wrote:

Just curious, no problem.

My Usage HIstory page online shows a couple of instances web data usage pegged at 0.001Mb.

0.001Mb? 

What might cause that sort of blip either in the reporting or my electronics?  I have my phone's access to data turned OFF. 

Thanks!

bob

Summerside, PEI

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I saw that too in one of my accounts. I can't figure out what activity would require all of 1 kbyte.  I generally don't micro manage my account.  I have not seen such recorded activity in the past.  I wonder if there is something new happening in the background. 

Personally, I think the bigger concern is data round off and how/when that is done.  Back in the day with Wind, they rounded off data usage to the MB which was a large quantity of data.  When on the home network it was no big deal as unlimited data subject to FUP would make up for any unfavorable metering.  It was bad when roaming.  The roaming rate was 5c per MB.  You find yourself paying 5c for every Whatsapp text message.  The data meter cuts off literally on every data event and does a round up.  I don't see that kind of aggressive metering on Public Mobile.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@bashley  Incidental data use from MMS or turning data on or off. Anything for MMS will show on your phone and in your usage in your account but will reset in your account but not in your phone. An immediate reset can be achieved by toggling airplane mode on and off.

Need Help? Let's chat.