cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS won't send picture texts

Rastaman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

this is my SECOND public mobile account. i just started the service a few days ago. the service i signed up for has unlimited international texting. last night when i wanted to send a picture via text it didn't work, there's a red X beside the picture and says: "general problems". now i assume my plan comes with pic texting (although i can't see it in the fine print anywhere). please help!

17 REPLIES 17

shskr
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@srlawren wrote:

@shskr I mean, I'm not sure I'd change carriers just to get MMS working, personally.  Are you wanting to MMS with them for group chatting, for longer message lengths, or for being able to send media? 

He said he has unlimited Text with picture messages but never could recieve or send picture message. I'm thinking its got to do with data blocked.

Personally, I think sending media via MMS should be a last resort anyway, as it horribly compresses photos (and makes videos nearly unwatchable).  If you can, you're better off to send them photos via just about any other means:  email attachment, WhatsApp instant message, Facebook instant message, or ideally everyone should be using Google Photos (you should!, even if you're an iPhone user) and you can send them a share link there easily.  What is Google Photos and should you be using it?

I agree very compressed photo and video is poor. The other alternative you mention is way better. Maybe I can talk him into PM.

His plan $22/month 100 min. talk / unlimited text with picture messages. On PM $25/ month (https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/25unlimitedtalk-text) mind you its province wide talk not canada wide.

Thanks for your insight. This community is awesome.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@shskr I mean, I'm not sure I'd change carriers just to get MMS working, personally.  Are you wanting to MMS with them for group chatting, for longer message lengths, or for being able to send media?  Personally, I think sending media via MMS should be a last resort anyway, as it horribly compresses photos (and makes videos nearly unwatchable).  If you can, you're better off to send them photos via just about any other means:  email attachment, WhatsApp instant message, Facebook instant message, or ideally everyone should be using Google Photos (you should!, even if you're an iPhone user) and you can send them a share link there easily.  What is Google Photos and should you be using it?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

shskr

@srlawren wrote:

@shskr wrote:

ok the problem is the person I sent a picture message has his data blocked. I sent pictures to other people with different provider and they went through. So the problem is on the one person's end, because everyone receives fine.

@shskr thanks for the follow up!  Glad you've got it figured out.

What carrier is the person with? 

Telus Pre-paid with data blocked.

I'm not sure about any others, but I know with Koodo Post-paid plans, you can add a $2/month add-on that blocks data (100% guarantee you won't get any unexpected pay-per-use data charges if there is data leakage in your OS/apps--most have at least some even with mobile data turned off) while still allowing you to send and receive MMS. So with this add-on, you can leave your mobile data turned on safely, it just won't do anything other than send and receive MMS messages.  Might be an option for them, if they are with Koodo or another provider that happens to provide a similar service.

I'll Tell them to turn on data even thou data blocked to see if they receive pic message. Or i'll get to activate a PM sim card and switch to Public so i can get $1 off my monthly for referring.

srlawren

@shskr wrote:

ok the problem is the person I sent a picture message has his data blocked. I sent pictures to other people with different provider and they went through. So the problem is on the one person's end, because everyone receives fine.

@shskr thanks for the follow up!  Glad you've got it figured out.

What carrier is the person with?  I'm not sure about any others, but I know with Koodo Post-paid plans, you can add a $2/month add-on that blocks data (100% guarantee you won't get any unexpected pay-per-use data charges if there is data leakage in your OS/apps--most have at least some even with mobile data turned off) while still allowing you to send and receive MMS. So with this add-on, you can leave your mobile data turned on safely, it just won't do anything other than send and receive MMS messages.  Might be an option for them, if they are with Koodo or another provider that happens to provide a similar service.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

shskr

shskr

@srlawren wrote:

@shskr what version of iOS are you on?  At least some iPhone models running iOS 12 are unable to send MMS messages.  It's a known iOS issue.

ver: 12.1.2

srlawren

@shskr what version of iOS are you on?  At least some iPhone models running iOS 12 are unable to send MMS messages.  It's a known iOS issue.

shskr

@Dunkman wrote:

@Rastaman

Directly from the knowledge database....

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visiting https://apn-canada.gishan.net/. Select the brand and model of your phone, scroll down the page and then select Public Mobile. After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.

• Some models of iPhones do not allow you to manually update your APNs. If this is your case, using your mobile phone, visit co.nz. This will automatically download the required APNs in your phone settings.
  • If you have an LG phone and you still aren’t able to use your data after all of this, we suggest doing a factory reset of your phone.

so i link above it created a profile for unlockit, I restarted my phone and tried to send picture message and it gave the same error.

Do not know what im doing wrong or am i missing a step? I also turned on my data and unchecked my wifi.

Rastaman

thank you for that link. WORKS NOW!!

@Rastaman

Directly from the knowledge database....

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visiting https://apn-canada.gishan.net/. Select the brand and model of your phone, scroll down the page and then select Public Mobile. After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.

• Some models of iPhones do not allow you to manually update your APNs. If this is your case, using your mobile phone, visit co.nz. This will automatically download the required APNs in your phone settings.
  • If you have an LG phone and you still aren’t able to use your data after all of this, we suggest doing a factory reset of your phone.

Rastaman

ok... so i swapped out the SIMs and it is obviously a setting in the phone with the new SIM card.

hxj140
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Which phone are you using? Can MMS features be turned on and off in the settings? I know there is an MMS setting in iPhones.

Can you try your SIM in your first PM phone (I am assuming MMS are working on this other phone), to see if the problem is the phone or the account?

Rastaman

the settings are correct

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Rastaman

mobile data is on. APN is currently set to 

sp.mb.com

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@Rastaman, you must enable data on your phone to send a picture message.  Is it enabled?

You may also need to verify your APN settings are correct.  We'll need more information to assist you.

Need Help? Let's chat.