cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS Port number - which one?

dawna
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

At the end of the activation process today, I saw a link ( https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone ) that told me how to "Set up data on an android phone".  However, when I went into my phone's APN settings, I saw that public mobile had already placed some settings in for me.  I checked and while most everything was the same as the instructions, I did notice that the MMS port that had been automatically placed in my phone settings was 8799, which was different than the suggested 80.   Should I change this number to 80 as suggested or leave it at 8799?  I am using a Samsung A5.

4 REPLIES 4

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@dawna  8799 is less used so for performance reasons it's better to leave it as is. In fact you should leave all settings untouched. Those settings you are looking at are general recommendations for devices that can't set the correct APN settings on their own.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@dawna Samsung phones wll usuall fetch the APN settings for you. 8799 seems to be the default mms port for them. To make sure it works send an mms text message and try to surf the net.  Welcome to the community. Stay safe. 

@dawna wrote:

At the end of the activation process today, I saw a link ( https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone ) that told me how to "Set up data on an android phone".  However, when I went into my phone's APN settings, I saw that public mobile had already placed some settings in for me.  I checked and while most everything was the same as the instructions, I did notice that the MMS port that had been automatically placed in my phone settings was 8799, which was different than the suggested 80.   Should I change this number to 80 as suggested or leave it at 8799?  I am using a Samsung A5.

There's no need to change it. Leave it at 8799. Phones that show that MMS port will also have an MMS proxy of mmsproxy.mobility.ca.

Both versions of the settings should work fine.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@dawna if your picture messaging works then just leave it. your phone chose the correct settings automatically.

Need Help? Let's chat.