cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to switch from Rogers Family Plan to Public Mobile

eloisetaylor
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Community 🙂 

I am looking to switch off my in-laws Rogers Family Plan to a new Public Mobile account. I plan on using my old Rogers iPhone as it is still in working order and payed off. I want to bring my number from Rogers. My questions:

1. My Rogers number is registered under my in-laws account and address. Should I register my new Public Mobile account to their address in order to switch over the number? I can chnage the addess when the number transfer is complete

2. The Rogers Family plan has my mother-in-law as the account holder. Correct me if I am wrong, but does this mean she is the one who has to call Rogers and have them switch my number over to my new Public Mobile account?

I haven't yet got my Public Mobile sim as I want to do my homework and make sure this will be a smooth transition due to the complexity of the family plan. Any help in advance is appreciated. Public seems like a no-brainer with these huge $$ saving options!

6 REPLIES 6

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@eloisetaylor wrote:

Hi Community 🙂 

I am looking to switch off my in-laws Rogers Family Plan to a new Public Mobile account. I plan on using my old Rogers iPhone as it is still in working order and payed off. I want to bring my number from Rogers. My questions:

1. My Rogers number is registered under my in-laws account and address. Should I register my new Public Mobile account to their address in order to switch over the number? I can chnage the addess when the number transfer is complete

@eloisetaylor  That is not necessary. Using your own address would be best.

2. The Rogers Family plan has my mother-in-law as the account holder. Correct me if I am wrong, but does this mean she is the one who has to call Rogers and have them switch my number over to my new Public Mobile account?

No, calling Rogers is not necessary to setup a phone number port. In fact, it's the other way around you will request the number port from within the Public Mobile system either during activation of by accessing your selfserve account after your PM sim card has been activated.

My recoomendation would be to activate your PM sim with a temporary number. Once that is done access your online selfserve account and select the "change phone number" option located on the landing page under your profile info. All you need to do is to provide the following info to setup your number port:

1. Rogers account number
  2. Name on the Rogers account 
  3. Rogers phone number

That's it!! 

I haven't yet got my Public Mobile sim as I want to do my homework and make sure this will be a smooth transition due to the complexity of the family plan. Any help in advance is appreciated. Public seems like a no-brainer with these huge $$ saving options!

You will definitely $ave a lot of money with PM. Also  make sure you setup AutoPay to get an additional $2 off your 30 day plan renewal. Also, once your setup your first account you will have your own referral code that you can use to signup friends and family to get an additional $1 off your plan for every referral that you uses your code.

More info on PM  rewards can be found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/reward-rules

Hope this helps!

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @eloisetaylor 

You can do the transfer of the number with your in-laws consent, there is a check mark you tick off if you have authority to transfer number. As long as nobody makes the complaint about it, all is fine. Previous provider doesn't have to be informed before, public mobile port department will do that after you initiate the port. You may get an SMS that port was initiated and if you didn't initiate to call them back. I never received such text personally but did read about it.

To save more money you can

1.Get referral

2.Wait for a good promo (they do have frequent sales tired either to weekend or holidays where they give 2nd month free, or extra data, or $5/10 off over 3/6/8 months. If you are aiming at larger plan, you will see such offer very frequently, smaller plans like 15 or even 25 are sometimes left out. You can come back often to check announcements or you can go to plans page and signup for the alert at the bottom of the page

3.Stores sometimes give free sims, is usually not advertised here, you just gave to call the store to check. Sometimes they will tell you wait for the weekend we may have it, sometimes they will not know when it's coming.

4. Use autopay. You don't have to actually use the autopay you can pay manually (much more reliable) or buy voucher but if you register for autopay you will get extra data and$2 off every cycle.

5. Keep your account active, don't go inactive for not than 90 days or you will lose it. For every 365/366 days you spend with public mobile they will lower your bill by $1 up to total of 5

If I remember I'll add

Welcome to the community:)

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@eloisetaylor Find a PM customer and use their referral code; you will be given a credit of $10. Sometimes, Walmart will provide a free SIM when activating in store; they should add a referral code if you bring one and you stll get that $10 credit.

I, too, have had no issues activating several accounts at PM but still believe in being prepared for the worst case, hence this post: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/BE-PREPARED/m-p/112014#M20827

We're a friendly bunch. Welcome aboard.

The good ship "PM Adventure".The good ship "PM Adventure".

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@scapper1 wrote:

a moderator would answer all your questions

There is no need for a moderator to answer these questions?!?!?  What good would this community be if we can't even provide answers to these questions?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@eloisetaylor wrote:

Hi Community 🙂 

I was on a Family plan from Rogers with my wife when I moved over.  Her name was on the account but it isn't a big deal.  Don't have her call Rogers about you leaving they will find out when you port your number.  

When you setup your new account you can use your address without any issue.

When you port your number you will just need the account on the name and the account number and you will be good to go.

Now Public Mobile recommends that you activate your SIM and take a temporary number to make sure all services are up and running and then port your existing number over to your new account so that you aren't without service at anytime.  Personally I have never had any issue with doing the port at activation but just letting you know what PM recommends.  Any other questions just ask

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

scapper1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

a moderator would answer all your questions

Need Help? Let's chat.