cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance dial around

ladybearbc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I just transferred from Telus - and with them, I could use a dial around number #100 for any long distance number - other than Canada (because that was included in my plan). The cost was 5 cents per minute to the States - I think to Europe as well.

Can I use the same long distance dial around option with Public?

Thank you

13 REPLIES 13

@ladybearbc wrote:

Thank you.

Probably won't be using 'Hangouts' because they insist on having access to my contacts

I can undersatnd your concern, but I'm not sure how the comes into play when your default phone dialing app also has permission to access your contacts list.  The only way to get around that would be to never once have the phone ever connect to the internet.  You probably don't want to know some of the stuff that your phone and apps have permissions set to do. 

ladybearbc

Thank you.

Probably won't be using 'Hangouts' because they insist on having access to my contacts

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@austinhuang wrote:

@ladybearbc wrote:

No.....it was prepaid.  I just had to dial the #100 and it showed up on my bill

You do pay your plan prices beforehand, but you pay for your long distance afterwards.

Say your billing cycle is April 1 ~ May 1. You pay for the plan price before April 1, but then you made a long distance call on April 10, so you pay that on/after May 1. That's postpaid.

For prepaid: You pay your plan prices, and if you reached your usage included in the plan, you just can't use it anymore (Unless you buy addon, manually, essentially paying before using extra stuff). PM is prepaid.

@austinhuang  @ladybearbc  some prepaid providers have a "pay as you go" set up, where you load credit and then it deducts from it as you make calls, use data, send texts, etc.  It sounds like that's the type of plan @ladybearbc was using previoulsy, and that's why calls to #100 could be billed to her account. 

Public Mobile is different, there are NO pay as you go or pay per use charges--you literally must pre-purchase anything before you can use it.  For long distance, that means pre-purchasing a block of minutes as noted by previous responses in this thread.  They do not expire, and will stay on your account until fully utilized.

If the country(s) you wish to call is not on the list of 18 countries covered by the 400 min long distance package, you will need to make other arrangements such as purchasing a calling card from your local convenience/grocery/drug store.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ladybearbc wrote:

You do pay your plan prices beforehand, but you pay for your long distance afterwards.

Say your billing cycle is April 1 ~ May 1. You pay for the plan price before April 1, but then you made a long distance call on April 10, so you pay that on/after May 1. That's postpaid.

For prepaid: You pay your plan prices, and if you reached your usage included in the plan, you just can't use it anymore (Unless you buy addon, manually, essentially paying before using extra stuff). PM is prepaid.

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ladybearbc wrote:

Hi @ladybearbc, with Public Mobile these are the long-distance options when calling from Canada.

In Canada Long Distance Add-Ons6

Any unused minutes will roll over to your next cycle.

400 International Long Distance minutes$15

Included countries: Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.

200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes: $8

ladybearbc

Dankaroo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@austinhuang wrote:

@ladybearbc wrote:

I just transferred from Telus - and with them, I could use a dial around number #100 for any long distance number - other than Canada (because that was included in my plan). The cost was 5 cents per minute to the States - I think to Europe as well.

Thank you

That's postpaid - You pay for your usage afterwards.

Since PM is prepaid, it is highly unlikely for them to have such service.

Please mark quoted post as solution, with the app boom there are loads of apps that are widely used for long distance communications. What's App and Viber are your best bet.

@mimmo wrote:

@Lieux not all countries in Europe are included in the long distance plan.

The list can be found here

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Calling-an-international-phone-number/m...

Yes you are right..thanks.

@austinhuang wrote:

@ladybearbc wrote:

Thank you

That wouldn"t be possible because Public Mobile has no way to bill you.

There are many low cost long distance options, including many long distance companies who you pay for minutes ahead of time.  Those work by having you dial a local access number which connects you to a system that then  prompts you for the end destination number.  Those types of services will work.

For calling the U.S., use of Hangouts Dialer is free.

mimmo

@Lieux not all countries in Europe are included in the long distance plan.

The list can be found here

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Calling-an-international-phone-number/m...

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@ladybearbc wrote:

Thank you

You can buy an add-on for 15$ for 400 minutes for Europe (some countries ..thanks @mimmo ). And it will roll-up until it is used.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ladybearbc wrote:

Thank you

mimmo

Pm has long distance to 16 countries  fm 400 mins for 15$

Never heard of dial around how exactly does that work? 

Need Help? Let's chat.