cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance charge

Dhara
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hello

Just learnt I get charge long distance even though I have unlimited canada wide minutes. I have 50$ 8gb plan for promo 40$.

Turns out you have to dial 1 then phone number to avoid charges. 

It took me 4 days to figure it out. Hopefully the calls I made so far I get those charges for long distance reversed.

11 REPLIES 11

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@stonechucker wrote:

@surreyboz wrote:

@Dhara wrote:

hello

Just learnt I get charge long distance even though I have unlimited canada wide minutes. I have 50$ 8gb plan for promo 40$.

It took me 4 days to figure it out. Hopefully the calls I made so far I get those charges for long distance reversed.

You already have your answer to your question. I have one question for you now. How do you expect Public Mobile to collect those charges from you? 

Why provoke the OP at the end of the vast number of responses explaining why the OP was mistaken, helping them to understand better what services are, and how they work?

Just another post that isn't needed.  I know, I know... Mine is just as bad as yours, but I'm doing it to help stop the needless run-ons.

I am not provoking. I am Genuinely curious to know how OP was going to pay for Long Distance Charges? So Original Poster if you are Reading the thread you created, an answer would be greatly appreciated. 

@surreyboz wrote:

@Dhara wrote:

hello

You already have your answer to your question. I have one question for you now. How do you expect Public Mobile to collect those charges from you? 

Why provoke the OP at the end of the vast number of responses explaining why the OP was mistaken, helping them to understand better what services are, and how they work?

Just another post that isn't needed.  I know, I know... Mine is just as bad as yours, but I'm doing it to help stop the needless run-ons.

surreyboz

@Dhara wrote:

hello

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@selva1 wrote:

I believe you are referring to add on minutes you purchased in addition to your normal prepaid plan and dialling 10 digits will drawn down from that add on balance. This is a interesting point and thanks for this information.

@selva1 no, they are talking about hearing the message that your call may incur long distance charges when dialing a Canadian phone number with their base plan which includes Canada-wide calling.  This has nothing to do with an add-on, and they were not actually charged anything for the call.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

selva1

I believe you are referring to add on minutes you purchased in addition to your normal prepaid plan and dialling 10 digits will drawn down from that add on balance. This is a interesting point and thanks for this information.

@sunflowershine wrote:

@Dhara "The long distance charges may applied" when you call out of your province. However, you can ignore it. You won't be charged extra from your plan as PM is prepaid service. If you are not entitled for, the call won't go through. 

It doesn't have to be be an out-of-province call for someone to hear that message. It only has to be a long distance call.  Calls can stil be long distance within the same province, even at Public Mobile.  It's just that all of Public Mobile's plans include at least long distance within the proinvce. 

For example, making a call from Sudbury, Ontario to Ottawa, Ontario is indeed long dstiance, but it's a type of long distance that is included in all plans at Public.  The "long distance charges may apply" message is playing as designed in that case.  That message is a holdover from Telus and Koodo plans that included only local calling and is meant to advise people that there could be charges (but not necessarily be charges, depending on the customer's plan).

@Dhara wrote:

hello

@Dhara wrote:

hello

Dialing the 1 or not has nothing to do with getting charged.  The only thing that dialing the 1 does is avoid the warning message.  The warning message means nothing at Public Mobile.  It's impossible to get charged for it by Public Mobile because they don't even have a system in place to charge for that.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Dhara "The long distance charges may applied" when you call out of your province. However, you can ignore it. You won't be charged extra from your plan as PM is prepaid service. If you are not entitled for, the call won't go through. 

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@Dhara wrote:

hello

Turns out you have to dial 1 then phone number 

???? You will never be charged for nothing with public mobile because it’s prepaid. You have only what you paid for.

shskr

Everyone of my contacts in my phone I have added "1" in front of area code. I don't get that message anymore.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Dhara wrote:

hello

Turns out you have to dial 1 then phone number 

@Dhara  Please explain more, where do you see the charges? There is no long distance charges. That is just a standard warning message. If you dial 1 you don't hear it. If you don't you hear it. There is no charges. This is the beauty of a pre-paid service. There are no overages because you only get what you paid for. Once you run out of data you no longer have data. If you don't have a "long distance" plan (anything outside your province / city / canada wide, canada-us, etc) plan you canno't call long distance. Its a standard warning for everyone. The system also warns you when you get close to running out of data with text messages.

There are never any extra charges ever.

If you need to add extra minutes because you used yours up

Or if you need more data because yours is gone
Or you need to call usa because you don't have canada-us you can do it in self serve or dial 611 to make a payment then add an add-on

Need Help? Let's chat.