cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Distance message

Langlois
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi

Whenever I make a call I get a recording stating that “long distance charges may apply” I find this annoying and confusing as I have 100 minutes Canada wide calling and this occurs when I’m making a local call. Anyone have the same problem and know the reason behind this.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

7 REPLIES 7

@Langlois wrote:

I agree it’s annoying and unsettling to hear this message even when calling my daughter when she is across the street from me. Surely it could be removed.

That means her phone number is not in the local calling area of your current physical location, regardless of where she happens to be at the time.

Langlois

I agree it’s annoying and unsettling to hear this message even when calling my daughter when she is across the street from me. Surely it could be removed.

@Vautrec It'a not about Public Mobile customers. Also, not all Public Mobile customers have Canada-wide calling.  This message is on the Telus network end and Public Mobile doesn't have a choice on this matter.

Not all Telus customers have plans that include any type of long distance. The fact there is a warning is good thing for such customers. This prevents surprise charges at the other Telus-owned brands.

Vautrec

Ok, but it's still annoying. I don't plan to add "1" to all my contacts. And I don't think I can get used to adding "1" when manually dialing either.

It would make more sense for Public Mobile to deactivate that message, especially since all (or almost all?) clients have Canada-wide calling.

I hadn't heard that message for years, back in the day when long distance was usual. (1997 maybe? hehe)

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Langlois , this notification is sometimes present if 1 is not dialed in front of the 10 digit phone number.  Being on a prepaid service, I really don't worry much about these notifications.  I know that there cannot be surprised billing.  If my plan covers it, the usage will work.  If not, it won't.  Even with add-ons, they are already a sunk cost.  Taking usage from there is not really an extra charge.  

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Langlois wrote:

Hi

Whenever I make a call I get a recording stating that “long distance charges may apply” I find this annoying and confusing as I have 100 minutes Canada wide calling and this occurs when I’m making a local call. Anyone have the same problem and know the reason behind this.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

@Langlois   As long as you still have available minutes left in your plan then you can ignore that message and your call should complete, or just add +1 in front of all your numbers before dialing.

You can also add the $5/500 mins add-on which will supplement your minutes anytime you've depleted your plan mins before renewal.  These mins stay with your account until used up.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

The keyword is "MAY" apply. It's a generic message by the Telus network (which PM uses) to let you know you are making a call to a number outside of your local calling area without prefixing a "1", but will connect it anyway for your convenience.

All current Public Mobile plans include Canada-wide long distance, so you will never have an extra charge. Grandfathered "province wide" plans will just not go through unless it's included in a previously purchased add-on.

This can seem "intermittent" because what's considered a "local" call can change depending on the location you're calling from, such as if you're visiting another city.

Solution to skip that message is to prefix a "1" before the number, and update your address book phone numbers accordingly as well.

Need Help? Let's chat.