cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location Accuracy on Map Navigation

grkn
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Last few weeks, my phone's location service has been very inaccurate and jumpy. I have an iphone 6 and it was great before. On any navigation app, my location is shown away from where I actually am an it keeps changing. It also doesn't match the direction my phone is pointing at so the map navigation is totally screwed up. I cannot accurately track myself on the map and I cannot receive proper navigation instructions because of all these. What can I do to fix this?

9 REPLIES 9

StewartMann
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I doubt it would be an issue with Public Mobile as Tellus has plenty of coverage for cell tower triangulation, as others have stated if GPS services are off or faulty on your phone this is most likely the problem.

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@grknI had this EXACT same problem after the last time I let google update. I keep location/wifi scanning disabled untill I need maps and usually do not agree to anything and keep as many things disabled. When I want to turn location back on on by default google location now starts off in "DEVICE ONLY" and is literally uselses. If you wait after enabling it you get a pop up that says "Improve location accuracy?" If you agree it will go into "HIGH ACCURACY" and be extremely accurate. Then go into your location settings and click scanning and enable Wi-Fi Scanning and agree to that too.

This is their new way to force you to have to "share" your data with "google play services" if you want to use your GPS. There is no way around this now. Basically your GPS in the phone is useless now without sending info to google. But if you agree to have their services on your GPS will work with pinpoint accuracy.

24/7 Google wants to know where you are at all times. This is there way of doing it. It's so they know what stores people visit at what times. What speed people are traveling on down the road for traffic information. How long you spend at home. What time you travel to work, what time you go home. How many people are in walmart at 6pm etc

Wifi-Scanning also will wreck your battery. Make sure to disable it after you are done.

OP has an iphone.

This would be one of the many reasons why I prefer to steer away from all things Google.

Unfortunately, my choices are severely limited. 🙂

@AnonymousI thought everyone does this now. Apple does it. Blackberry does it now too. Should be similar for all phones?

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT207056

If Location Services is on, your iPhone will periodically send the geo-tagged locations of nearby Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers in an anonymous and encrypted form to Apple, to be used for augmenting this crowd-sourced database of Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations. 

• Location-Based Apple Ads — Your iPhone will send your location, including its travel speed and direction, to Apple in order to provide you with geographically relevant ads on Apple News and in the App Store.

https://blackberrymobile.com/privacy-policy/

To provide location-based services on TCT products, TCT and our partners and licensees may collect, use, and share precise location data, including the real-time geographic location of your device. Where available, location-based services may use GPS, Bluetooth, and your IP Address, along with crowd-sourced Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations, and other technologies to determine your devices’ approximate location. Unless you provide consent, this location data is collected anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you and is used by TCT and our partners and licensees to provide and improve location-based products and services. For example, your device may share its geographic location with application providers when you opt in to their location services.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertQc wrote:

@grknI had this EXACT same problem after the last time I let google update. I keep location/wifi scanning disabled untill I need maps and usually do not agree to anything and keep as many things disabled. When I want to turn location back on on by default google location now starts off in "DEVICE ONLY" and is literally uselses. If you wait after enabling it you get a pop up that says "Improve location accuracy?" If you agree it will go into "HIGH ACCURACY" and be extremely accurate. Then go into your location settings and click scanning and enable Wi-Fi Scanning and agree to that too.

This is their new way to force you to have to "share" your data with "google play services" if you want to use your GPS. There is no way around this now. Basically your GPS in the phone is useless now without sending info to google. But if you agree to have their services on your GPS will work with pinpoint accuracy.

24/7 Google wants to know where you are at all times. This is there way of doing it. It's so they know what stores people visit at what times. What speed people are traveling on down the road for traffic information. How long you spend at home. What time you travel to work, what time you go home. How many people are in walmart at 6pm etc

Wifi-Scanning also will wreck your battery. Make sure to disable it after you are done.

OP has an iphone.

This would be one of the many reasons why I prefer to steer away from all things Google.

Unfortunately, my choices are severely limited. 🙂

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I sense of is either bad hardware or bad software causing the problem.  Update the map app and if that doesn't improve things, then it's a hardware problem.  This is how aGPS works.  Cellular connections are digital, if there's a connection weak or otherwise, there's a connection and cell tower information will be usable for aGPS.  This is how aGPS works on a phone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

Screenshot_Google_Play_services_20181111-075845.jpg

Screenshot_Google_Play_services_20181111-080234.jpg

Most likely its the app issue,  If happens on all app, then you might have to try soft reset and your network setting too.   Make sure turn on your wifi even when no wifi around you when using gps.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@grkn wrote:

I don't know how my gps would be off, because it still gives me some location and moves around as I do but just very inaccurately. The faded blue area circle around my location is often super big, covering several blocks.

To your other question, before the last few weeks. I am rather new with PM so I'm not sure if this started with it or after I switched to it.

Locationing can use the cell towers for triangulation to position you somewhere in that vicinity. Your big blue circle may be hinting at that too.

Another idea would be to try the lesser radios related to 3g to get better signal reception and thus better triangulation.

But I would stick with the GPS for the more pinpoint location.

Edit: Might be permissions for the app too.

grkn
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I don't know how my gps would be off, because it still gives me some location and moves around as I do but just very inaccurately. The faded blue area circle around my location is often super big, covering several blocks.

To your other question, before the last few weeks. I am rather new with PM so I'm not sure if this started with it or after I switched to it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@grkn wrote:

Last few weeks, my phone's location service has been very inaccurate and jumpy. I have an iphone 6 and it was great before. On any navigation app, my location is shown away from where I actually am an it keeps changing. It also doesn't match the direction my phone is pointing at so the map navigation is totally screwed up. I cannot accurately track myself on the map and I cannot receive proper navigation instructions because of all these. What can I do to fix this?

"Before" what?

Is your GPS on?

If the phone also uses cell towers to supplement the GPS then maybe you're not getting great cell reception either.

Need Help? Let's chat.