cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving country for 9 months

thatguyman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just moved to Public Mobile as I was paying way too much to Bell.

I'll be travelling around the globe and I'll be away for 9 months. I'd like to, however, keep my number and keep getting texts.

What can I do? I read something about "pausing" the account through suspending it temporarily for 90 days, but if I do that can I still receive texts? I'd leave my phone card in Canada but my phone may get texts from two factor authentication, I want to make sure I won't lose the number. Right now it seems that the best I can do is stay on the $15/mo. plan.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could switch to the cheapest plan PM has ($15), then enable autopay. Add 9 months of payments to Available Funds...your plan will just renew itself for those 9 months. When you get home, just start your plan again, as long as you're not under Suspension for longer than 89 days after last payment expired. 

chrisbasm
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@thatguymanIf you need to keep getting texts, your best bet is to keep your line active, leave the Phone(SIM) at home, and set up some sort of forwarding of texts to email, etc., so you can pick them up from anywhere.  You wouldn't be able to reply by text, however.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Yes you need  to leave your sim card in Canada on 15$ plan . Pit simcard in an old android phone and install an app that forwards your sms to email or another number.

Otherwise port your number to fongo or other VoIP service that can receive sms.

But is all honesty I would try and disable 2fa while away. What happens if the phone gets disconnected / shuts off while away then you are out of luck.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@thatguyman wrote:

I just moved to Public Mobile as I was paying way too much to Bell.

I'll be travelling around the globe and I'll be away for 9 months. I'd like to, however, keep my number and keep getting texts.

What can I do? I read something about "pausing" the account through suspending it temporarily for 90 days, but if I do that can I still receive texts? I'd leave my phone card in Canada but my phone may get texts from two factor authentication, I want to make sure I won't lose the number. Right now it seems that the best I can do is stay on the $15/mo. plan.

Thank you!

The $15 plan will receive text while you are in Canada.  You will not receive any text outside Canada.  Unfortunately, PM offers US roaming add-on only.  For 2FA, I have use Fongo app on my phone to get 2FA text message.

Need Help? Let's chat.