cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving Rogers but love my number

whereiswardo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Been with them for years but the pricing is substantially more expensive.  I was wondering how do I go about transferring the number I have with rogers to use with Public Mobile? Is it possible?  When money is tight, Public Mobile feels right!  Can't believe I hadn't switched sooner. Hooked my son up with his first phone, but want to switch mine over to Public Mobile too.

Thanks for your help!

12 REPLIES 12

tweakthis
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I agree. I just jumped right in an ported over my phone number. Once I put the Public Mobile SIM into my phone and entered the website to set up my account, it all went relatively smoothly.

I personally ported to PM from Rogers in late October for similar cost reasons (after 15 years!) and also started initially with a temp number to make sure everything worked. Then I initiated the number port by entering and quadruple checking my rogers phone #, account number, IMEI (ESN), and.. Name I think?

Anyhow, once I intiated it it was complete in about 30 minutes, and I received a txt message from rogers immediately prior to deactivation there:

"Rogers has received a request to transfer your telephone number to another Service Provider. If you did not authorize, contact Rogers urgently at 1-800-588-6718"

Then I removed the Rogers SIM and put the public mobile SIM in my phone for good.

After about 2 months, I received a physical cheque in the mail from Rogers for the prorated amount left for the month I cancelled. Even though when I called and asked Rogers about it, a rep said it would be credited back to the credit card on file. Heheh

@SaraWeerder wrote:

I ported my number directly (I didn't realize a temporary one was an option). The issue I ran into was the port got stuck, and I was without phone service until I got it resolved. This was easily fixed by a moderator.To port your number you will need your account number from your Rogers account, in my case I found mine by logging into my Koodo Self-Serve Account, where my account number was displayed. Can't speak for Rogers.

Yes, Rogers has their account number displayed when logging in online as well.

If you are waiting for your port and it has been an hour, don't wait any longer, contact a moderator - PM directly.

Not necessarily correct advice, because porting a number will often take longer than an hour.... in my case, it was about 2hrs., and I've seen it mentioned here several times, that it can take up to 4hrs. But yeah, anything after that, would indicate some sort of problem.

SaraWeerder

I ported my number directly (I didn't realize a temporary one was an option). The issue I ran into was the port got stuck, and I was without phone service until I got it resolved. This was easily fixed by a moderator.To port your number you will need your account number from your Rogers account, in my case I found mine by logging into my Koodo Self-Serve Account, where my account number was displayed. Can't speak for Rogers.

If you are waiting for your port and it has been an hour, don't wait any longer, contact a moderator - PM directly. I personally waited way too long before I figured that out! They fixed the issue within an hour of me sending a message.

This page explains how to contact a moderator: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/The-Public-Mobile-Moderator-Team/ta-p/...

@whereiswardo If you haven't activate with Public Mobile yet,

you can check whether your number is available for transfer here:

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do

If your number is eligible, you get to decide whether to switch immediately (and start saving $) or wait for the next promo.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@whereiswardo wrote:

Been with them for years but the pricing is substantially more expensive.  I was wondering how do I go about transferring the number I have with rogers to use with Public Mobile? Is it possible?  When money is tight, Public Mobile feels right!  Can't believe I hadn't switched sooner. Hooked my son up with his first phone, but want to switch mine over to Public Mobile too.

Thanks for your help!

Which city is your phone number from?  There are some numbers that can't be ported to Public Mobile due to Telus/Public Mobile not operating there/not giving out numbers for that city.

ruthlinley

@whereiswardo wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Yes you can keep your old #. I just switched and was able to keep my old # without any issues. I left my old SIM card in my phone while creating my Public Mobile account and chose to port my old # when the option was presented. After I had finished up entering all the necessary info, I then put in my new Public Mobile SIM card and it all worked out. I'm  not sure if the sequence is important or not but it worked when I did it this way. 

@whereiswardo wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Which city is your phone number from?  There are some numbers that can't be ported to Public Mobile due to Telus/Public Mobile not operating there/not giving out numbers for that city.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @whereiswardo 

It's really easy and fast.

Open yourself brand new account with temporary number just to make it smoother.

Make sure that your rogers account is in good standing.

Make sure you don't have any outstanding tab balance.

When everything is up and working, your phone and the selfserve, just go to https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/plan-and-Add-ons/msisdn-swap/

And select option of transferring the number.

Best is to open your rogers account page in different window and copy/paste info to transfer form.

Put back your sim card in your phone and use it until it stops working, that's the sign that the port is completed, shouldn't take much moire than2 hours.

Then put your public sim in and wait for the cheque from rogers for unused portion of your bill, or if you didn't pay your bill yet, then wait for the new one with the corrections.

Also don't forget to use your son's referral code, that will give you $10 credit and will reduce his bill bh $1 as long as you sick to public.

Welcome to public mobile

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

You are welcome. Follow all the great advice given above, and welcome to PM. 

@whereiswardo wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@whereiswardo Couple of additional thoughts:

- use your son's referral code when activating; you'll get a $10 credit and he'll save $1/30 days

- you must use a different email address than your son's

- register a credit card for autopay to save $2/30 days

- read: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/BE-PREPARED/m-p/112014#M20827

Welcome aboard.

The good ship "PM Adventure".The good ship "PM Adventure".

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@whereiswardo  The prevailing wisdom around here, is that you activate your SIM, and take a new phone#, all while keeping your current Rogers account active. Once that's working as it should be, THEN go into your account, and choose the option to "port" your Rogers number over. Once that's done, your Rogers account will cease functioning, and they'll apparently refund you for a pro-rated portion of whatever your plan currently costs.

Personally, I went straight with porting my previous number over, and NOT taking a temporary PM number, but many folks around here have found that doing it that way tends to leave the process open to more chances of issues arising.

That, and apparently it's also best to use Private/Incognito mode in your browser, since many people have had issues when not doing so.

ARGH - ninja'd yet again..... gotta do some copy & pasting, I guess. 🙄 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Yes definitely. I suggest activating a new account first selecting a new number and once account is up and running log into your new account and port your Rogers number over 

IMPORTANT MAKE SURE YOU DONT CANCEL OR CLOSE ROGERS ACCOUNT UNTIL NUMBER IS PORTED OVER. Once it's ported to Public Mobile Rogers will be notified to close your account.Screenshot_20191223_210328.jpg

If your son is already on public Mobile be sure to use his referral code for $10 sign up bonus.

Need Help? Let's chat.