cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large volume of overseas calls/hang ups in the last 24 hours.

BenKayfetz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I know everyone is getting fraud/spoof/fishing calls these days. However in the last 24 hours I've had about 30 calls from "011" and other international numbers. Some say Albani, some Guatemala, some Montenegro, and some say "Chad".

Each time the call rings once and then stops.

Many came through in the middle of the night. Of course my cell was muted except known numbers.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Is there a way to block international incoming numbers at the server/PM level? (iirc rogers/bell offer this)

Call log screen shot: (oranged-outed personal calls)

Call log Screenshot_20191116-100937.jpg

13 REPLIES 13

See a prevous topic of mine: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Fun-with-Conditional-Call-forwarding-and-...

My idea: set your "Busy" conditional call forward to an invalid number such as 13 or 000-000-0000 - program it on any phone by dialing:

*67*13#

or

*67*0000000000#

Then, the idea is that if you manually 'reject' a call, or if the caller is on your blocked callers list, or you have an app that rejects calls based on matching phone numbers, they are directed to a "number not in service" / "number cannot be completed as dialed" message. I figure this method is most likely to be logged as an invalid or unassigned number in their system. Plus it saves the junk call from polluting and having to delete messages from your voicemail box as well...

Calls when your phone is offline, or unanswered will continue to voicemail as usual...

@Dunkman wrote:

You could put your number on the "do not call" list, but probably not going to help that much for the international spam calls.  

International companies don't have to follow this rule. Do not call list can make it worse when they use it as a list to call.

@hairbag1 wrote:

You're not the only one. I get those type of calls once or twice a day now. I just don't answer if I don't recognise the number.

Thankfully...some of them only ring once thinking we're stupid and will call them back.

I think these calls are made by bots.  The call hangs up when you try to answer and the call ends if not answered after a few rings so that it does not go to voice mail.  The intent is to encourage a call back.  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

These calls happen in spurts.  I haven't had any in months and in recent days, they happen almost daily.  The idea is to get the recipient to call back and incur huge long distance charges.  Public Mobile offers protection because of the prepaid format.  I have set my dialer to auto block the spam calls.  

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Probably best to change your number if they're that frequent. After doing that and you just get a few from an unknown number, just dismiss the calls.

@BenKayfetz 

It looks like your number got popular somewhere...

What phone do you have?

You can block calls outright and send them directly to voicemail
Or you can install an App to help.

I like my Android phone. It lets me:
1. Block any caller not on my contact list.
2. Block calls based on the starting or ending digits of their number. Goodbye to calls from "011", "+011", etc.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@BenKayfetz"Canada’s telecom companies say they’re close to deploying new technologies that will help combat a surge of spam phone calls — but add they’re also working with the industry regulator to bring out more advanced solutions.".... Click here for the full article.

Telus Corp., on the other hand, says it will put in place a filtering system that blocks most robocalls — an alternative that the CRTC has said would be acceptable if in place by Dec. 19.

BenKayfetz

The DNCL only stops reputable companies from marketing to you via calls.  For the most part I don't mind those calls. Sometimes there are good offers out there you wouldn't find out about if you were on the DNCL.

The fastest remedy is to change your number...I know it's inconvenient though.

Otherwise you'll just have to ride it out until they get tired of calling you. Make sure to never answer if you don't recognize the number.

Good luck.

BenKayfetz

I'v had 1 or 2 spam call a day for a long time.... 

It's 30+ in 24 hours that concersn me.

Ben

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

I didn't get any from overseas

But I did get some spam, every day and 2 or 3 of them about noon eat. Some of them start with 011 but then it follows 647, a Toronto code so I knew those were spam.

I don't think I can really do anything short of changing my number, I just try to ignore, if I don't know number and if I answer I don't talk. I may make some noise. Most are in Chinese or it's cra informing me that they are about to dispatch to arrest me because I owe taxes. Here and there there would be 'thank you for choosing Marriott/Hilton/West Jet/...' and some just hang up

Gets annoying as I never know if I'll miss a call when I do ignore

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@BenKayfetz 

From my understanding, no way to block calls at PM carrier level.  You could block at your phone depending on which model.  

You could put your number on the "do not call" list, but probably not going to help that much for the international spam calls.  

Other option is to change numbers and that might decrease the number of spam calls.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

You're not the only one. I get those type of calls once or twice a day now. I just don't answer if I don't recognise the number.

Thankfully...some of them only ring once thinking we're stupid and will call them back.

Need Help? Let's chat.