cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Texts not being sent

manny21
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

HI, everything works good(calls and short texts). But none of my Longer texts (more than 160 characters ) are being sent. I get the message "Sending...", and then after quite a while i get an error saying text not sent. Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9

Dolphin1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Do you have your data on ?  For the most part I use wifi so when a picture in a text is sent I have to turn the data on to receive it so that it can download.

@manny21 wrote:

Im not able to Send large texts and or recieve pics from other people, other than that my texts work fine. All apps are up to date. its been 2 weeks on public mobile, no other problems

I havent recieved a working solution

Ièm thinking it may be some network setting or something like that

manny21
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Im not able to Send large texts and or recieve pics from other people, other than that my texts work fine. All apps are up to date. its been 2 weeks on public mobile, no other problems

I havent recieved a working solution

Ièm thinking it may be some network setting or something like that

@will13am wrote:

No necessarily.  I send some pretty long text messages sometimes and they send as SMS.  I am using the latest stock android SMS app.

Long messages can be converted to MMS, but as you said, it's not always done. I believe that it's the app that decides whether or not to do that. When a messsage is longer than a standard message, it gets broken up into more than one message. Some carriers deliver those messages as individual multi-part messages while some re-assemble it into one. After a certain number of message parts (something like 5 parts), the conversiion will usually take place to MMS. When SMS is sent in multiple parts, each is counted as a separate message when it comes to usage account purposes.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@manny21 , when was the last software update did you do to your phone? My father-in-law had a similar issue, and when I looked at his phone, it said he needed to update the software. He didn't want to because he was afraid of the changes. Once we did, the short texts were no longer there, and he was able to send long texts

@will13am wrote:

@Dolphin1 wrote:

With longer texts you have to have data on to send as an MMS.  If you do this you shouldn't have any issues.

@manny21 wrote:

HI, everything works good(calls and short texts). But none of my Longer texts (more than 160 characters ) are being sent. I get the message "Sending...", and then after quite a while i get an error saying text not sent. Thanks in advance

No necessarily.  I send some pretty long text messages sometimes and they send as SMS.  I am using the latest stock android SMS app.

Guess it's a case of YMMV, because if I send a fairly long text, once it goes past whatever the magic cutoff point is, my screen tells me, "converting to MMS", or something similar. Whatever that magic cutoff point is, it also becomes shorter if I add in an emoji, i.e. I can have a fairly long text, that converts to MMS, RIGHT after inserting an emoji, and if I delete that emoji, it converts back to a regular SMS, until I make the text too long, at which point it will convert to MMS again.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@manny21 wrote:

@manny21 Make sure that you also have a strong signal. I recently sent long message >200words, and it was automatically split into several messages, but it couldn't be sent because of 0 line signal. After getting 2 lines, is was fastly and successfully sent.

@Dolphin1 wrote:

With longer texts you have to have data on to send as an MMS.  If you do this you shouldn't have any issues.

@manny21 wrote:

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@manny21, there are limitations to text message length.  Most newer test message apps are able to send longer text and have them stitched back together on the receiving end.  You might be using an older text messaging app perhaps.  What phone and messaging app is being used here?

Dolphin1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@manny21 wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.