cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo advantages/disadvantages?

ericdvan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Was just wondering what would be the advantages and disadvantages to switch to koodo? I have the 12GB/120$ three month plan but could switch to koodo for 4GB/40$. 

37 REPLIES 37

ericdvan

@makkahn28wrote:

@jparwrote:

Will PM ever see volte & vowifi? 

@jpar, I hope the VoLTE at least

They said No to VoWi-Fi unfortunately

BUT, Who knows, Maybe CRTC/CCTS might Force it, and Enforce the Issue

Probs will not happen because telus doesn't even give their own Telus prepaid customers VoLTE and VoWifi...

kenkck
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Although Koodo's data overage pay-per-use rate is $7/100 MB, there is an option to purchase top up data for $10/300MB or $20/1 GB when data is paused at 100% usage.  This is cheaper than $30/1 GB in PM, but any used portion cannot be carried over to the next billing cycle.

Details per https://www.koodomobile.com/help/shock-free-data

@will13am Tab Medium is same discount Tab Small has more upfront cost

https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/essential-phone

So on Tab Medium, you pay $100 out of pocket and subsidize $360 ($15 x 24)

On Tab Small you pay $220 out of pocket and subsize $240 ($10 x 24)

Same price

More upfront cost is better if you have trade in or if you plan to cancel before term is up

@makkahn28wrote:

@will13amwrote:

@makkahn28wrote:

@will13amwrote:

@makkahn28wrote:

@mimmo, that depends on the kind of device you have as well.

Some devices might do 1GB speed, others might do 50MB, You get what you pay for

Samsung S9 might do greaty on Data, BUT fee is like over $1200

Overpriced and inflated.

Plus, what kind of Materials they're using, Regardless

If Koodo had dd Speed of PM, I'd call that Rubbish, and perhaps complain to CCTS/CRTC on this, as I find that to go against net Neutrality and perhaps even possibly illegal

Wireless performance is far more influenced by network congestion than device model.  Shamsung phones do not guarantee a faster download speed.  I live in a congested city.  Around 20 mbits is typical for me.  I run the same device as @ShawnC13.  Maybe I am not holding the phone properly???

@will13am, that depends on how you hold OR handle the Device.

Plus, If Near anything That may cause Static or IntrrruptiInt, Like Metal, Plaster, Hot water Tanks, Microwave oven, That Bunch of IT Troubleshooting stuff.

Though Samsung never Sung a Sam Right, Never was my favorite Brand

You have confirmed it, Steve Jobs was right.  There is such a thing as a correct and incorrect way of holding the phone.  I better stop this before I get committed to CAMH.

That is Correct @will13am

Just to say, I am Not a Troll, And I am just replying to your inquiry on this subject

@will13amwrote:

@makkahn28wrote:

@will13amwrote:

@makkahn28wrote:

Overpriced and inflated.

If Koodo had dd Speed of PM, I'd call that Rubbish, and perhaps complain to CCTS/CRTC on this, as I find that to go against net Neutrality and perhaps even possibly illegal

Wireless performance is far more influenced by network congestion than device model.  Shamsung phones do not guarantee a faster download speed.  I live in a congested city.  Around 20 mbits is typical for me.  I run the same device as @ShawnC13.  Maybe I am not holding the phone properly???

Plus, If Near anything That may cause Static or IntrrruptiInt, Like Metal, Plaster, Hot water Tanks, Microwave oven, That Bunch of IT Troubleshooting stuff.

You have confirmed it, Steve Jobs was right.  There is such a thing as a correct and incorrect way of holding the phone.  I better stop this before I get committed to CAMH.

That is Correct @will13am

@makkahn28wrote:

@will13amwrote:

@makkahn28wrote:

Overpriced and inflated.

You have confirmed it, Steve Jobs was right.  There is such a thing as a correct and incorrect way of holding the phone.  

I better stop this before I get committed to CAMH.  I must not contribute to trolling.  I must not contribute to trolling.

@jparwrote:

@jpar, I hope the VoLTE at least

They said No to VoWi-Fi unfortunately

BUT, Who knows, Maybe CRTC/CCTS might Force it, and Enforce the Issue

@will13amwrote:

@makkahn28wrote:

Overpriced and inflated.

jpar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@makkahn28wrote:

Overpriced and inflated.

@ShawnC13wrote:

@ericdvanwrote:

@R47wrote:

@Litvinau_Awrote:

Internet speed on koodo is double what PM is.

There's been a fair amount of people testing on the forums every now then, and comparing, the general concensus is that PM customers are getting full, untrottled Telus LTE alongside Koodo.

I hope this is true 

IF koodo is getting double the speed then WOWOWOW.  Here is mine test on PM

Screenshot_20171215-150124.png@ShawnC13, why waste your data proving a pointless argument?  How big is ourv wireless data bucket?  How many people at home have unlimited internet that is slower than LTE data?  How many still use a wireless G router at home?  End of discussion.

@kav2001cwrote:

@will13am Small Tab & Medium Tab normally (99%) have exact same hardware discount

Plus Small Tab works better when you have a trade-in (since many places give $50 or $100 minimum trades even for old broken phones)

Tab Large usually has much better discounts but Koodo only offers this on the expensive poorly priced plans (unless you go the way of the loop)

@kav2001c, you may be totally correct with the small and medium tab being the same.  I have only been a "casual" Koodo customer a couple of times.  The last time, I thought the essential phone at $360 was only available on medium tab.  That may have been me just wanting to put everything on tab for economic advantage.  

I have been searching out the exact hardware eligibility for the migration plan and I have determined that there is no way it qualifies for medium tab.  Medium tab plans start at $45.  At best, a small tab will be available unless it's been programmed out.  

@will13am Small Tab & Medium Tab normally (99%) have exact same hardware discount

Plus Small Tab works better when you have a trade-in (since many places give $50 or $100 minimum trades even for old broken phones)

Tab Large usually has much better discounts but Koodo only offers this on the expensive poorly priced plans (unless you go the way of the loop)

Overpriced and inflated.

@mimmowrote:

@ShawnC13 nice speeds. I only get 69.88 up, and 8.55 up.  And we are in the same city. 

That was in Esquimalt.  I am more around what you get most of the time

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ShawnC13 nice speeds. I only get 69.88 up, and 8.55 up.  And we are in the same city. 

@ericdvanwrote:

@R47wrote:

@Litvinau_Awrote:

There's been a fair amount of people testing on the forums every now then, and comparing, the general concensus is that PM customers are getting full, untrottled Telus LTE alongside Koodo.

I hope this is true 

IF koodo is getting double the speed then WOWOWOW.  Here is mine test on PM

Screenshot_20171215-150124.png

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ericdvan

@R47wrote:

@Litvinau_Awrote:

I hope this is true 

ericdvan

@MoFromTo2016wrote:

How is voicemail better at Koodo? I doubt the plan comes with visual voicemail. Do you have any idea when they will be adding VoLTE and WI-FI Calling?! Thanks.

Apparently spring 2018 is when VoLTE will be available at Koodo and for VoWifi, it was be different dates for different phones all throughout 2018 and possibly continuing to 2019.

BGL
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The issue that has kept me from switching to Koodo is the unbeatable US roaming that Public offers: $8 for 10 days of talk or text; or $20 for 10 days of talk+text+data. Koodo's $7/day is a massive difference (a $50 difference for 10 days of talk+text+data, to be exact!!!)  -- I would never pay it and would get a US sim card instead with tracfone. 

R47
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Litvinau_Awrote:

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I see it this way, the only potential advantage is long distance but only if needed and used.  The small tab is weak sauce.  It is so tiny that much of the device cost has to be paid up front.  Most if not all promotional offers are on large and medium tab.  If there is a cost advantage to staying, then stay.  The only certainty is the savings today  While there may be an ominous cloud placed over our heads with what Dave had said in his post, rest assured they will not take draconian measures to remove us from this service again, unless Telus is not a learning organization.  Future migrations could very well be on better terms, not worse.  In case of emergency, there is always the opportunity of a parachute offered by the competition or a lifeline via Koodo regional plans.  For all these reasons, I am staying the course. 

skifan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have been getting pretty good speedtest numbers on my new Pixel 2. 

Public SpeedTest.jpg

Litvinau_A

If you're switching, go to koodo kiosk and tell them that their customer service told you that sim card will be free. Also, they'll apply $100 to your account at the end of your billing cycle, Which is 24th-25th for them, and youl'll be able to use it towards your $40 bill.

And i was told that they'll be able to squeeze you in on a med tab if anything. Either way, who cares about that yet? 

You can  travel with your phone now.

No rewards - yeah, but you can talk to an actual person. You do get charged $10 only if you're doing changes to your account, which you can do online(web page looks exactly like PM but blue lol) 

They stop your data when you run out of it, but you can still send mms, even with no data. 

Shutdown

Koodo advantages: Canada wide calling/International roaming assuming you want that/monthly plan allows you to switch to other carriers easily and with post paid they are suppose to refund the unused days when you switch/International calling can call A LOT more countries then PM can

Disadvantages: Surprise bills since it's not prepaid you could get surprised with a huge bill especially with the calling scams going on where people are being charged up2 hundreds $ per minute. It also costs money to call their customer service apparently.

PM advantage: cheaper plan/no surprise bill/cheaper long dist calls that don't expire. Even if you get the international calling add on with koodo that's $3 a month at the $0.05 per min rate it will cost $20 per 400 min vs $15 per 400 min that never expire /cheaper data add on that don't expire $30 per gb vs $70 per gb with koodo.

disadvantage: only province wide calling but that can be compensated with a calling app using data like fongo/Website can be buggy

My sentiments exactly

Judi Pissed.JPG

now if "SHE" Ran things, well, I'd say we'd be in EXCELLENT hands

Mana
Mayor / Maire

Koodo has always seem a little shady to me. 

I wouldn't be surprised once they get all the PM customers, they turn around and raise the price after the first couple of months. 

@MoFromTo2016 you can pay extra to get the upgrades (IF you need / want it, I am more than happy with the 25 message system here)

Things like iPhone Visual Voicemail are popular to many people

MoFromTo2016

How is voicemail better at Koodo? I doubt the plan comes with visual voicemail. Do you have any idea when they will be adding VoLTE and WI-FI Calling?! Thanks.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@ericdvan main advantages are long distance cross Canada & option to subsidize hardware

Other than that just a few small things (eg voicemail) are better at Koodo

The pricing $40 for 4GB is a good offer for a legit (non loophole) plan

Need Help? Let's chat.