cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping same American number

seanmj98
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I recently moved from America to Canada. I have had an At&t number for a while and would love to keep the same number. Since the two countries have the same extension, would it be possible to keep the same American number I have if I transition to Public Mobile?

9 REPLIES 9

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@seanmj98 

You can't port a USA number into Public Mobile, but if you'd like to keep the number, you could port it to another service like voip.ms for a dollar or less per month and just use it for call forwarding. I know they support porting in USA numbers. Then you could pick a new Canadian number with Public Mobile.

BasesLoadedWalk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@seanmj98 wrote:

Hi,

I recently moved from America to Canada. I have had an At&t number for a while and would love to keep the same number. Since the two countries have the same extension, would it be possible to keep the same American number I have if I transition to Public Mobile?

I use Voip.ms and forward calls I receive from AT&T to my Voip number, which then also then forwards to my Public Mobile number. You could also just set up a Voip Canadian phone number and have it set up to forward to your AT&T number. That way people in Canada can call a local number, and you can keep your USA based plan. Voip costs me 2-4 bucks a month depending on call volume that gets forwarded. 

BasesLoadedWalk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Luddite wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@seanmj98 : You could just keep the service with AT&T. They roam here. You're probably even paying less. The problem would be that then callers here would need calling ability to call you and likely incur costs.

@Anonymous  I recall reading that US carriers offering NA unlimited roaming "require" most usage to be within USA. Similar, issues occur in Europe even with EU wide roaming mandated.

AT&T no longer has any geographic usage restriction in place. I have confirmed directly with AT&T, and they removed that in late 2019. I have had AT&T prepaid for just about 2 years now.

@Anonymous wrote:

@seanmj98 : You could just keep the service with AT&T. They roam here. You're probably even paying less. The problem would be that then callers here would need calling ability to call you and likely incur costs.

@Anonymous  I recall reading that US carriers offering NA unlimited roaming "require" most usage to be within USA. Similar, issues occur in Europe even with EU wide roaming mandated.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kb_mv  I think Fongo is Canadian numbers only. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@seanmj98 

From my understanding, you can only port over numbers from a Canadian mobile company. You will need to choose another Canada number.

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@seanmj98 wrote:

Hi,

@seanmj98 hi sorry  Canadian numbers only

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@seanmj98 wrote:

Hi,

@seanmj98 Unfortunately not. You will need a Canadian number to use with Public Mobile. Maybe you could port the US number to Fongo or Textnow and forward that to the PM number?

Edit: maybe not on Fongo but there must be some that would allow this?

Need Help? Let's chat.