cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just moved to BC from Ontario, trying to call numbers and being told I don't have long distance

zachboyd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello. I've just moved to BC from Ontario and my phone has stopped working. I can make recieve calls and send txt; but when I try to call my wife who is using the same Ontario number as before, I am told I don't have long distance data set up.

Will my old plan not work in BC? I didnt know we even had long distance with cell phones anymore.... 

11 REPLIES 11

JonSeltzer

I had Canada wide from Ontario,

When I was in BC, I made phone calls to Ontario.

I know that Public cannot charge me long distance, because my plan is fixed dollar  amount.

I also used data when I was in BC

If you plan to be there a while in BC, two options

1. Make it a Canada plan or

2.  Add on minutes for Canada, all provinces.

@zachboyd The address saved in your account has no effect on long distance. Neither does your phone number when it comes to what's long distance for you. As @Anonymous was saying, it will use long-distance minutes for you to call any non-BC phone number while you are in BC.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@zachboyd 

Your tax rate will be based on the province of the area code.

Whatever province you're in, you can make calls to area codes in that province using your plan. You will use the add-on minutes for calling a different province.

People in the province of your area code will make "local" calls to you. People in the other province you're in will be making "long distance" calls to you even though you're in the same room.

zachboyd

ahhh that was it, yes my plan was only provience wide; which I didnt know was a thing or notice I had.

I went ahead and purchased the 500 minute add on as thats a bit easier than changing it all.

I also changed my profile address to BC from Ontario. Will my Canada long distance calls now be based on BC or Ontario? My area code is an Ontario area code.... Sorry a bit confussed how this works.

living in BC; changed my Public Mobile address to BC. 
using Ontario area code, plan originally signed up for provience wide Ontario.

Purchased 500 anywhere Canada minutes

Any insite as to how this will work? Thanks again for your help!

Jencho
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Do u have Canada wide.

It always states long distance charges may apply.  Just have the call go through, if your wife picks up, you will not be charged long distance charges.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Is it only a message or the call doesn't go through at all. If message you can just ignore it.

Are you on old province wide plan, if that's the case you can only call bc while in bc. Either change plan or get free forwarding through fongo.

If not you should reboot your phone with sim in. If that doesn't help contact moderators

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@zachboyd  If you are on a provincial call plan either change to one of the newer ones that includes Canada wide calling or purchase the 500 minute Canada wide calling addon for $5.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@zachboyd wrote:

Hello. I've just moved to BC from Ontario and my phone has stopped working. I can make recieve calls and send txt; but when I try to call my wife who is using the same Ontario number as before, I am told I don't have long distance data set up.

Will my old plan not work in BC? I didnt know we even had long distance with cell phones anymore.... 

What is your old plan? Provincial only calling perhaps?  ..... https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Provincial-Plans/m-p/330728/highlight/tru...

and https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Out-of-Province-Calling-Question/m-p/21...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@zachboyd wrote:

Just let the call go through...there's no long distance charges involved.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@zachboyd wrote:

Yes your phone should work in BC.  What plan are you on?

Maybe try rebooting the phone too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@zachboyd wrote:

Just add a 1 in front. The recording is only a warning and it will continue and connect the call. There are no extra charges here.

Need Help? Let's chat.