cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just joined and half data gone without actual usage (Happened on 2 different accounts)

User1954
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I have just joined Publicmobile with 1 gb plan and somehow 500mb is already used. All I've done was sending and receiving TEST text and picture messages.

I've activated a 2nd, similar account and same thing happened.

Any thoughts please ?

32 REPLIES 32

I don't bother with speedtests for mobile data.

I expect the "3G" at 3Mbps to be very consistent because it's an artificial cap on 4G (and soon 5G) machinery which is designed to sustain more than 25x faster bandwidth specs.

While WiFi speeds are faster still:

802.11b = 5.5Mbps to 11Mbps

802.11a = 20Mbps to 54Mbps

802.11g = 20Mbps to 54Mbps

802.11n = 100Mbps to 600Mbps

802.11ac = 200Mbps to 1300Mbps

802.11ax = 2000Mbps to 10000Mbps

Most modern smartphones (and wifi routers) support 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, they default on n/ac but will use a/b/g (or at least a/g) when connecting to antique wifi equipment. But if a smartphone can only get lower values (like, say, 18Mbps or 85Mbps best speed) on multiple Wifi networks then it's apparent the phone's hardware is the maximum-speed bottleneck, not the network hardware. And it's apparent the same hardware-imposed maximal limit will apply to every kind of network the phone connects to. Some phones (expensive phones) are able to approach maximal specs for bandwidth standards, most phones can only handle lower end performances.

@AE_Collector 

Thankfully I wasn't curious enough or was clueless enough that i never did that when i joined pm. I learned quickly enough not to do any speed tests on my $10 account. But to prove a point about data speed differences and either saving a member from needlessly wasting their data on a speed test or showing someone that the difference in quality between 3G and 4G speed is indiscernable I play the same YouTube song/video and record the amount of data used. The 4G will always use a minimum 3+ times the amount of data than the 3G video does and saves the member from burning up a couple hundred MB of data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector wrote:

@Korth 

@Anonymous 

Okay so while there may be lots of variables in the test, for the most part it sounds like a “timed test” where far more data is likely to be sent if on 4G rather than a 3G which adds up for what is being said/claimed here... lots of your monthly data allotment gone quickly doing a speed test while on 4G! 

AE_Collector

But everybody'll do it once and go holy crap! My data's gone! And then come complaining that PM stole all their data. Sigh.

@Korth 

@Anonymous 

Okay so while there may be lots of variables in the test, for the most part it sounds like a “timed test” where far more data is likely to be sent if on 4G rather than a 3G which adds up for what is being said/claimed here... lots of your monthly data allotment gone quickly doing a speed test while on 4G! 

AE_Collector

@computergeek541 wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

Oh okay, I hadn’t noticed the typo (?) of 5Gb speed as opposed to 3Gb and assumed you were saying, No, it is 3Gb right from the get go.

That's not the case. When a new customer activates on one of the current "3g" plans, the data is much faster for the first 2 days. The 3Mbps speed limit doesn't kick in until a couple of days later.

Okay, were all on the same page except I #$%#ed it up by putting 3Gb instead of 3G.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector wrote:

Sounds reasonable but that doesn’t answer whether there is a set amount of data moved to see how long it took which would not result in higher data consumption if 4G rather than 3G OR if a set amount of time is used to move as much data as possible within that time frame which certainly would consume more data than the first method.

The data itself is a bunch of random garbage files with standardized block sizes, fetched from the speedtest servers then sent back, arranged contiguously because read/write and transmit/receive operations are always fastest for sequential data access.

The speedtest app doesn't care how much data it uses - it will hog all available memory and all available bandwidth, it just deletes the temporary mess when it's done. The "set amount of data moved" is "as much data as the device and the network can move during the test".

If you are connected to a fast network and your device has fast processing then it can consume a lot of data in a single run. It's trying to move impossibly huge data before cutoff, but the bottleneck from the network or the device will impose a real limit and thus a real performance result.

When I run a speedtest from a home computer with 10Gbps optik it downloads almost 70GB  and uploads almost 24GB because the network bandwidth can support it and the computer can process it. And this represents less than 10% of the actual packet requests sent by speedtest, it would consume 1024GB if the hardware could sustain a fast enough rate before cutoff.

Mobile devices are not as well-equipped for large data loads. Wireless networks are pitifully slow and low bandwidth rates compared to wired networks. But speedtest can still gobble up most of a GB per run on a decently powerful mobile device with uncapped LTE data access, good signal, and low network traffic conditions.

@AE_Collector wrote:

Oh okay, I hadn’t noticed the typo (?) of 5Gb speed as opposed to 3Gb and assumed you were saying, No, it is 3Gb right from the get go.

That's not the case. When a new customer activates on one of the current "3g" plans, the data is much faster for the first 2 days. The 3Mbps speed limit doesn't kick in until a couple of days later.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector 

How I understand it is that that initial ping test they do determines how much data will be shovelled across. Oh hey look at that, super-fast ping time...ok let's give'r. Or hmm well we see a fair to midland time so we'll keep the volume down.

The larger the volume the more accurate the results...as I understand it.

@Korth 

Sounds reasonable but that doesn’t answer whether there is a set amount of data moved to see how long it took which would not result in higher data consumption if 4G rather than 3G OR if a set amount of time is used to move as much data as possible within that time frame which certainly would consume more data on 4G versus 3G than in the first method.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector 

Speedtests work by trying to ram as much data up and down as possible, as fast as possible.

They deliberately push and pull more packet requests across the network than any device or network could possibly handle - it's a synthetic benchmark but the end result is real numbers for how much data was sent and received.

Data sent and data received all count towards billable data provision, of course.

I know nothing about how a speed test runs but would think it would be a block of data that isn’t a variable size and the test determines how quickly that block of data is transferred determining the actual speed. Thus 3G, 4G, 5G wouldn’t make any difference to the amount of data consumed to do the speed test. But the implication seems to be that in actuality data is moved as fast as possible for some predetermined length of time leading to a much larger consumption of data in that certain length of time if on 4G rather then 3G (throttled speeds). Is it known for certain that this is how speed tests actually work?

AE_Collector 

Public Mobile Help Article says: "If you activated on a plan that includes data, it could take up to 48 hours until you experience 3G speeds."

In practice this means you just signed up, you wanted to see how fast your new data service works, and you ran some speedtest with uncapped LTE speeds. Your data was all consumed in just a few minutes.

Telus 4G/LTE-A (uncapped) = varies up to 75.8Mbps (or more) = over 544MB per minute

Telus "3G speeds" (across LTE) = fixed at 3Mbps = just over 21MB per minute

@computergeek541 wrote:

@AE_Collector New customers do get full speed for the first 48 hours. I disagree with the 5Mbps speed mentioned.  

@geopublic I also have some plans on "3g" plans. The speed is almost spot on around 3Mbps. Are you 5Mbps results maybe on the 3g network?

AE_Collector

@computergeek541  Too late now I guess. 🤐

@geopublic wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@AE_Collector New customers do get full speed for the first 48 hours. I disagree with the 5Mbps speed mentioned.  

@geopublic I also have some plans on "3g" plans. The speed is almost spot on around 3Mbps. Are you 5Mbps results maybe on the 3g network?

@computergeek541  No, I don't use the 3G network all speed tests were performed on LTE. Like I said on many occasions I have clocked 5-9 Mbps but the majority of the time it's around 3Mbps.

That would mean that your account has fallen off the throttled list. It happens. Keep quiet as you can about it.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@computergeek541  No, I don't use the 3G network all speed tests were performed on LTE. Like I said on many occasions I have clocked 5-9 Mbps but the majority of the time it's around 3Mbps.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@User1954  Running speed tests is the problem. When you first signup your speed is full LTE it takes PM a couple of days to start throttling your connection to 5Mbps

As a result the speed test can use hundreds of MBs at a time.

The speed on these plans is limited to 3Mbps.

@computergeek541  Thanks edited  my post, that is the official number but on many occasions when I do speed tests I get more than 3 Mbps on a consistent basis.

User1954

THanks to everyone who participated in this thread !

@computergeek541 

Is your statement in disagreement with @geopublic ?

I too have heard numerous times that new customers default to full LTE Initially and then need to get reprogrammed to “3G Like” speeds on PM so I agree with @geopublic 

AE_Collector

@geopublic wrote:

@User1954  Running speed tests is the problem. When you first signup your speed is full LTE it takes PM a couple of days to start throttling your connection to 5Mbps

The speed on these plans is limited to 3Mbps.

@User1954  Running speed tests is the problem. When you first signup your speed is full LTE it takes PM a couple of days to start throttling your connection to 5 3Mbps

@User1954 wrote:

Both phones were used with other provider and were up to date.

I did run speed tests on google and ookla 3-4 times each.

Sorry, but that means that you used the data. Speedtest.net is a bandwidth hog. I've personally used 500MB before on a single test.

User1954

Both phones were used with other provider and were up to date.

I did run speed tests on google and ookla 3-4 times each.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@User1954 My guess is app installations. Did you test the speed?  That uses alot. First 2 days is fast LTE and can be used very quickly.

User1954

Both phones are Android.

User1954

Screenshot_20200915-233950_Samsung Internet.jpg

User1954

It says 

• Data & Add-OnsAmount Used
    500MB + 500MB at 3G Speed
    553.534  /  1024 MB

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@User1954 Are you using new phones? The first time using them, there are many apps to downlaod and system software.

Are you using iPhone? imessage uses data and if you send many pictures, that counts.

Need Help? Let's chat.