cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got Public Mobile :)

skylenth
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello everyone,

I just activated my new Public Mobile SIM card, and from just an hour of using the service, I already like it. I used to be on 7-11 SpeakOut Wireless, but it was getting a bit pricey for my needs, so I looked around and found Public Mobile. The cheaper price for my needs, coupled with the rewards and such did it for me.

Right of the bat I can say that set up was fairly easy (I just had one issue with my card not getting accepted, but that was my fault since I entered my postal code with a space when I shouldn't have). I slipped the SIM into my phone (a Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 that was purchased in Rogers) and it worked! I did change the CSC code afterwards to the Public Mobile one (to get rid of the Rogers bloatware and get the Public Mobile APN) (I can do a how-to post if need be for anyone else who has a Samsung phone and wants to know how to do this). Calls work, messages work, and data works so yay!

I do wish that Public Mobile had a mobile app (but that doesn't seem likely considering that the sister brand Koodo got rid of their app), or at least a mobile site (Koodo has one!), or maybe those SIM toolkit or short-codes for checking balance, etc (that my previous provider SpeakOut had), but that's alright.

I look forward to being active on the forums/helping others and would appreciate any tips from more experienced members 🙂

Have a good evening,

-Skylenth

22 REPLIES 22

powerg21
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Nice to meet another new memeber.  I have been a new member for less than a week and so far I really like it.  I really like there are incentives to bring the overall cost down each month.  I don't see any other cell provider doing this.  

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@slash407 wrote:

7-11 has plans too? lol how about that, ever1 has plans these days.

It makes zero sense for PM to have an app.......PM is a basic phone company, they dont specialize in heavy data, alot of people dont even have data that are using PM, so most Customers would never need, let alone install or be aware of the app.

PM keeps its prices the lowest in the nation due to being BASIC.......BASICMOBILE ++++++++++++

I guess that's one take on it but they do have a lot of data options, both in plans and as add ons. So I don't think I'd call it a basic phone company. But I generally agree that they're a no frills company; still, they have pretty competitive plans and a variety of them. 

skylenth

@MJ23  IWIK's "Data Witness"

MJ23

Which app?

skylenth

@stonechucker I have the app now, and find it awesome. The widgets are a great addition.

skylenth

@mh1983 Yeah, I personally find it more pleasant to type my question out and help others than wait for an hour or so on hold

@skylenth, welcome to Public Mobile!

You seem to be a consumer much like myself. Do your research first, and hop on board when you discover it's what you've been missing.  I was ready to post about the Data Witness app but saw @will13am beat me to it, and you'd already read up on it.  It's a great app to have.  I use the long widget on my home screen to track my usage over the 90-day cycle.  It's awesome!

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Welcome to PM! Glad it's a good experience so far! Not everyone takes the time to post a positive experience, so thanks for that. I'm like you in that I prefer forum support, and so far it's been great around here. Nice to be able to help others in the same boat, too.

Can tell you did your due diligence, so that's refreshing too. 🙂 Hope the service and forums continue to serve you well!

skylenth

@will13am I hope so, I love forums/online communities so heh, I'm happy with this community-based approach to support.

skylenth

@Anonymous I guess everyone has their own preferences - talk to customer support over the phone or chat in forums. I personally like forums better, but I can see why others may not like them.

@skylenth wrote:
@william13am Yeah, I saw that app after researching for a bit and will be downloading it for sure.

You are super resourceful!  This service is going to fit you perfectly like a glove. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@skylenth wrote:

@cavemantoronto It's been only a day, and I already have gotten used to the self-serve system. MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than SpeakOut's (more features), you can do so much more, and honestly, being able to do manage your account without having to call support and wait on hold is great.

Welcome to Public Mobile. Your enthusiasm is great to see.

Your last line: yeah...people come on here screaming that there isn't a human to talk to and here you are thinking it's great that you don't have to wait on hold for one. But of course the regulars here generally only see the complaints.

The self-serve could be a little better in some places for yet more self-serve rather than needing to contact the moderators for something that should be there. But all these problems have been around for years and any change is glacially slow.

skylenth
@william13am Yeah, I saw that app after researching for a bit and will be downloading it for sure.

skylenth

@Doonerz Yeah, the only reason that I sayed with them so long was the 365 day expirity. But swtching now, I see that all your points are valid - I love Public Mobile much more than SpeakOut, coverage is better as well - I can see full bars at my home vs 1 or 2 bars on SpeakOut previously. The 911 fee SpeakOut applied was also annoying.

skylenth

@cavemantoronto It's been only a day, and I already have gotten used to the self-serve system. MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than SpeakOut's (more features), you can do so much more, and honestly, being able to do manage your account without having to call support and wait on hold is great.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@skylenth, welcome to this service.  Great that you were able to navigate the activation.  With respect to your comment about an app which this service does not offer, you could consider using this app developed by a Public Mobile customer to monitor data.  This app is designed around 30/90 day cycles. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en_CA

Doonerz

I also switched from 7-11 Speakout and find Public Mobile with much better coverage in my area (Telus towers).

As far as a no-frills carrier, Public Mobile is miles above Speakout in terms of service and plans. Allowing for a $10 plan ($8 with Autopay), friend referrals, and promotions, you have cheaper more reliable service.

On top of that, this community has a plethora of information - they will answer any and all questions in a kind and professional manner.

I also love the fact that this pre-paid service has no surprises - it is all straightforward and easy to figure out. The add-ons don't expire (a HUGE plus for me), and the price you see, is what you pay! (I hated the $1.25 added 911 service fee from Speakout every month, plus the 30 day only add-ons). The major thing Speakout had going for it was the 365 day expiry date - that was the reason I started with them!

Welcome @skylenth and enjoy your new carrier!

It's fantastic to hear that your account got setup without issue. With the reward system, the pricing is great as long as you can get used to the self service system.

skylenth

Thank you, I did read a bit there and will continue to do so 🙂 Am looking forward to being in this community.

skylenth

Thank you for your reply, guess that I should just stick the site onto my homescreen using Chrome. Lack of an app isn't that much of a big deal for me, so if it helps keep costs down, that's great.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Welcome @skylenth  always good to hear the good new stories.  glad everything went well, and that the service is meeting your needs.  I always reccoment new users to read teh KB artilcles as many questions are answered there.  but you do seem to already figured out many things 🙂  

Looking forward to seeing you in the community.

dom

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@skylenth

Welcome to PM.  Enjoy your new mobile service.

PM is a no frill service provider.  Mobile app will not be provider.  But login to your self-serve account using browser to check on your usage is not bad and is mobile browser friendly.

Need Help? Let's chat.