cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just activated SIM & plan - usage shows 6/50 msgs used but I haven't used any?

asadafa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey all! 

New Public Mobile user here. I just activated my SIM and $10 talk/text plan today. After I created an online account, I noticed my text usage was at 6/50 units but I haven't send/received any texts other than 2 texts that PM sent to my phone. Could anyone help? 

Also, side note: anyone know when we'll see that bonus $10 (Feb 2-3 promo) deposited to our account? 🙂

Thank you! 

15 REPLIES 15

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@asadafa as @Lieux mentioned, send the moderator team a friendly private message to ask if they can credit you for those messages, since they were not in your control. Technically, I don't believe they are obligated to do so, but we have heard from others in the community that they seem willing to do so, for good will.  If you're not familiar how to private message them, please see here:  How to Get Help

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Yes the 474663 number is for the iPhone ... I had 30/50 during the first month... but since 0... So yes it will stop @asadafa and did you write to the moderator? They can do something for you. And yes it would be good that something can be done to stop that... what I read it’ s only with PM and Koodo..

asadafa

@srlawren

Thanks for your help! I'm using an iPhone.

I just checked my usage again and 15/50 of the texts are unaccounted for, but it did give me a destination address for the mysterious texts (474663). 

When googled, I found this thread: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/outgoing-messages-to-474663/td-p/66707

It seems like the consensus is that it has to do with the iCloud setup after you switch carriers. Hopefully no more mysterious usage of text usage after this, but we'll see. 

Although, I'm wondering if any mods would be able to fix this issue for future users since it shouldn't really be counted towards usage?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@asadafa wrote:

Thanks so much @Anonymous for the quick response!

One last thing, how do you turn off the background texting? Tried poking around in settings + googling, but didn't seem to find much on that topic. 

@asadafa is your phone an iPhone or an Android phone?  If Android, go to Settings, Applications, find your Phone app and tap on it, then tap on Permissions, and tap on SMS to turn it off.  This will stop it from using up any of your texts.

If you have an iPhone, I think the only way is to turn off iCloud and iMessage, but that's probably not something you would want to do.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi, I hope it would be the case. But the sales person told me as what I have said earlier. Will know it for sure until next month. I am a new user too. So trying to figure things out. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sunflowershine wrote:

Hi, $2 auto pay credit is available in the account now (if applicable). Her plan is $10, with tax will be $11.12. The plan of $10 (first month free) a few days later. This customer should have $12 credit in the account. So basically, next month will be free. 

The next renewal would still be "free" regardless of autopay. (assuming no add-ons purchased or plan changes) It's like a tax free bonus. The OP will get $10 in Available Funds. The plan costs $10. It'll renew from Available Funds. No autopay involved. Then yes they'll be left with $2 for that autopay reward.

sunflowershine

Hi, $2 auto pay credit is available in the account now (if applicable). Her plan is $10, with tax will be $11.12. The plan of $10 (first month free) a few days later. This customer should have $12 credit in the account. So basically, next month will be free. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sunflowershine wrote:

Hi, I activated yesterday. I was told that the refund of the cost of the plan within 5 days. Basically you will be free for next month if you have set up auto pay.

All renewals start looking at Available Funds first. This promo credits into Available Funds. Autopay isn't related in this context.

sunflowershine

Hi, I activated yesterday. I was told that the refund of the cost of the plan within 5 days. Basically you will be free for next month if you have set up auto pay.

@Lag333 wrote:

I got my 10 referral the next morning (3rd) but no Feb 2/3 plan bonus yet. 

It can take up to 72 hours to appear as available funds.

Lag333
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I got my 10 referral the next morning (3rd) but no Feb 2/3 plan bonus yet. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@asadafa wrote:

One last thing, how do you turn off the background texting? Tried poking around in settings + googling, but didn't seem to find much on that topic. 

I don't have exact instructions. They're different for iphone and Android. I think for Android it's a permission in the dialer. SMS or something. For iphone it's something in iMessage?? I'm not sure.

asadafa

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

It’s probably the number 474663  @asadafa????

you can ask the moderator https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage for a credit for your number of text.. they did it for meSmiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@asadafa wrote:

Hey all! 

New Public Mobile user here. I just activated my SIM and $10 talk/text plan today. After I created an online account, I noticed my text usage was at 6/50 units but I haven't send/received any texts other than 2 texts that PM sent to my phone. Could anyone help? 

Also, side note: anyone know when we'll see that bonus $10 (Feb 2-3 promo) deposited to our account? 🙂

Thank you! 

iPhones and Androids do some background texting to set things up either or both on each restart or a new SIM. You can turn the function off.

Edit: You'll see the credit in your Available Funds either in a few days or just before your renewal.

Need Help? Let's chat.