cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with activating a brand new SIM card - no service

silolicam
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello!

I have just activated a new SIM card (I did not transfer from another carrier).

I picked a number and then the phone would not get any signal, although it says TELUS on the phone. Also the account on self-serve is ACTIVE.

Then I had someone text the "new number from PM" and it was already in use.

So I went and changed the number 1 hour ago and still it is not working. I am not getting any signal at all. I am not such a newbie with phones so I tried everything I could and still it wont get any signal. It is very frustrating. I had PM back in 2017 and it was not this complicated!

Please help =(

18 REPLIES 18

Cucumber999

Could be a defective SIM card. 

Cucumber999

You probably have a defective SIM card. 

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@silolicam wrote:

Ohh gotcha.

Thank you very very much for your time and efforts.

Hopefully they get to fix it shortly and I get to keep the number, cuz I really liked the 2nd one 😃

Have a great night!

The second number should be good. You're not going to get 2 used numbers in a row.  Like number porting, service should work even with a used number given out to you. You wouldn't receive incoming calls or messages because they get routed to the proper person who already has the number.

silolicam

Ohh gotcha.

Thank you very very much for your time and efforts.

Hopefully they get to fix it shortly and I get to keep the number, cuz I really liked the 2nd one 😃

Have a great night!

@silolicam 

Though rare sometimes sim cards just don't work. If bought from pm or amazon a refund/credit can be issued.

Provisioning of a sim card is a technical "difficulty" when it was activated and essentially needs to be reset by the moderators and/or tech team.  A relatively easy fix from their standpoint but requires account access to be fixed.

mm80

@silolicam wrote:

Hi! Thanks for the insight.

What would be a sim provisioning issue, and a dud sim card. We received the SIM card through mail.

Thanks again 😃

It's a fancy way of saying that account didn't get setup right.  The SIM card is not likely defective. 

silolicam

Hi! Thanks for the insight.

What would be a sim provisioning issue, and a dud sim card. We received the SIM card through mail.

Thanks again 😃

@silolicam 

Your problem lies within the sim card. It is likely that @mm80 as correctly identified it as a sim provisioning issue. Other wise theirs an outside chance you got a dud for a sim card. Regardless its  up to the moderators to fix it for you. Hopefully they ave reduced the wait time to less than 48 hours. Welcome back to public mobile.

mm80

@silolicam wrote:

Yes, 3G wouldnt work either, I tried before =(

Someone mentioned they might have given me 2 numbers from Telus instead of PM. It is so weird, why would they list it in the first place.

Thanks a bunch

They're the same numbers. They gave you a number being used by mistake. It's rare but happens.

silolicam

Yes, 3G wouldnt work either, I tried before =(

Someone mentioned they might have given me 2 numbers from Telus instead of PM. It is so weird, why would they list it in the first place.

Thanks a bunch

mm80

@silolicam wrote:

Oh yes, it is on LTE.

I sent both message and ticket, thanks for that.

Let's hope they reply soon, I really need the phone.

Thank you!

Try settting to 3g. Some members are having problems with calls going to voicemail and swtiching to 3g network fixes it for them. If there's a network problem, lots of strange things can happen.

silolicam

Oh yes, it is on LTE.

I sent both message and ticket, thanks for that.

Let's hope they reply soon, I really need the phone.

Thank you!

@silolicam 

Phone is compatible with PM.

If the SIM card does not work in the iPhone, likely an account provision issue.  Need to contact moderator/PM employee for help.  Expect some time for response. Check your private messages hopefully sometime tomorrow.

To contact moderator via 2 methods:

1. Ticketing system - faster response time

Click on the blue chat bubble icon on the right lower corner of website to start ticketing process to contact moderator.  Type: Contact moderator. Follow the prompts to submit ticket.  

or

2 Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

silolicam

Hi!

First I got a number. Then it would not work. Someone from home texted the number and it was already someone elses. So I changed my number on the system.

It shows my number on my self serve, shows its active seems to be all good as it should be, but still not signal.

It is incredibly frustrating. Something so simple made so complicated. I had PM back in 2017 and it was a breeze. =(

Thanks for all the help!

mm80

@silolicam wrote:

Hi! Thanks for reaching out!

I have done all of these and still not result. Have tried putting the SIm on an Iphone and it didnt work either.

Motorola Moto G Fast. 

Thanks in advance

You checked that 2g network wasn't chosen by mistake?

mm80

@silolicam wrote:

Hello!

I have just activated a new SIM card (I did not transfer from another carrier).

I picked a number and then the phone would not get any signal, although it says TELUS on the phone. Also the account on self-serve is ACTIVE.

Then I had someone text the "new number from PM" and it was already in use.

So I went and changed the number 1 hour ago and still it is not working. I am not getting any signal at all. I am not such a newbie with phones so I tried everything I could and still it wont get any signal. It is very frustrating. I had PM back in 2017 and it was not this complicated!

Please help =(

Did you phone after number change? The activation might have went wrong and didn't provision your service properly.  Open a ticket. Clilck the bubble symbol in bottom right of screen to contact the moderators.

silolicam

Hi! Thanks for reaching out!

I have done all of these and still not result. Have tried putting the SIm on an Iphone and it didnt work either.

Motorola Moto G Fast. 

Thanks in advance

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@silolicam 

Few things to try:

reboot phone

network reset of phone

toggle airplane mode on/then off

Which model phone?  

Need Help? Let's chat.