cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Activation -- Account Not Created, but SIM now invalid.

Obibun
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

Looking for help from someone working for the company.

I went through the entirety of the activation process (including adding a voucher) and the last page hung for quite a while. When I tried to do it again, it said "this account has already been activated"

However there is no evidence of it having been activated on my phone, and my account on the website was NOT created. I cannot log in, and cannot even reset my password as it does not recognize the email I used to create my account.

Now when I attempt to try the process again, I am told the SIM I am using is invalid.

Thank you for your help here.

18 REPLIES 18

I by no means an expert in this area and am new to pm. The first 2 accounts I activated I did in store as I am technology challenged. They have pretty much gone off without a hitch. The third account...again in store but the London drugs computer froze. Unless I went back the next day I was told to activate it online myself. As I was helping my room mate with much less skill than myself I took on the challenge. Similar issues to your own ...starting with waiting for the London drugs computer rebooting and allowing at least an hour to pass before making my own attempt at activation. You have already been given the link to the help page...read it...i did not have that advantage. We suffered from a couple of bone head moves (ok just rookie mistakes but that is almost always what causes an issue.) Maybe right now breathe, enjoy a glass of wine or a martini if you need something stronger I wouldn't recommend a joint because you do have to concentrate a little but if your really frustrated that might help cause you just won't care for awhile and be able to regroup especially if you're waiting out another hour for your next attempt. Ok back to our dumb moves....have you put the actual SIM card in the phone. As we discovered this is very important! I missed that during the in store activation and I didn't have the link to the help page to read when to put it in. Is your phone unlocked? Also very important in speeding up the process. Not putting the code to do this slowed down the porting considerably. And yes on the third and finally successful try I cleared the cache, went into secret mode and tòok my time. The site can be slow...if what you click on lights up let it do it's thing. Patience is required and sometimes I have very little of that sometimes. If all this fails again and you've completely freaked out and hopefully not thrown your device out the window and smashed it to smithereens and you just can't bring yourself to a retailer to do it for you by all means vent your frustrations online. Many people have done it before and many more will after...the rest of us are happily piling up our savings from switching to Public Mobile deciding where our newly earned vacation will be this year. By the way if it's not in Canada or the U.S. we won't be able to use public mobile there...thats why I have a dual SIM phone. All that said my room mate is now saving $65 a month off his phone bill an 80% reduction. I did all that work for $1 off my bill but I'm happy he's happy and I got to stick it to fido for ripping off their customers and you can go to whatever carrier you wish because that's your choice. Wishing you success and if it works out for you in the end...welcome to Public Mobile. Where's your next vacation going to be?

lallan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had the exact same series of events happen to me this afternoon.  I still cannot get into my account and it is not recognizing my email account and also is saying my sim card is invalid.  

Please do not disrespect the people in this community. They give their time to help the people who sign up and indeed make it possible for some people with issues to stay. The best paid people here get $20, not me, and I have spent over 50 hours a month (albeit passively) trying to get new and current users what they need to enjoy Public Mobile at a lower price.

I get that your frustrated and others have felt the same way, but in the end what we've found is that the community is here to taper this frustration and not to create it. I haven't met any of these people, but someday, I'd like to. It's your money. Spend it where you like. But if your paying too much, PM just might be right for you, once we get your situation solved. 

btw, only you can truly say when this is resolved. If something happened to the contrary it was a mistake and it looks like they have fixed it because your case is again unresolved as it should be.

Obibun

Here we are two hours in, and my SIM is still showing "invalid" 

Amazing that anyone labeled this as "resolved".. but I guess part of Public Mobile's strategy is to get its lackeys to downplay the terrible service and absurdly bad company by making sure any posts that shine a light on this sort of rubbish aren't seen by new customers or anyone checking the forums, right?

Disgusting. 

@Obibun wrote:

Indeed, no matter whether or not I clear my cache, use incognito, or use an entirely different browser. Now when I type in the sim card (without even needing to fill out anything else) "Invalid SIM" shows up beside the box. 

Best leave it for now and try in the morning? It's unlikely your voucher was used, but if so the moderators can clear it up.

You may wish, as I have, to get an account with fongo.com; free calling across Canada when connected to wifi. It's my backup for these situations, though, fortunately, has not been needed in 4 years with PM.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Obibun

No service.

Which is not surprising seeing as I have no account. But somehow the SIM I just purchased a few hours ago is completely invalid now no matter how I attempt.. and like I said, I'm pretty sure the $50 voucher will magically be missing too as a result. 

This company is a complete joke. I'm going to actively hunt out Public Mobile advertisements on Facebook and elsewhere, which rarely have too many comments, and make sure everyone knows 110% to avoid them. There is absolutely no reason this should be happening unless their activation process runs on hamsters and duct-tape --- and given their activation process is so god-awful, it's amazing they would expect you to wait 72 hours to get it resolved.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Obibun did you try the Sim in your phone just to see what it will say

Obibun

Indeed, no matter whether or not I clear my cache, use incognito, or use an entirely different browser. Now when I type in the sim card (without even needing to fill out anything else) "Invalid SIM" shows up beside the box. 

Obibun

No, there is absolutely nothing I can do. There is no account that has been created, I am not registered for anything, essentially nothing has occurred with the exception that now when I try to re-do the process, I am told "INVALID SIM" and I assume my voucher will also magically go missing or become invalid. 

It's been over an hour as well at this point, and I just tried it again. Same thing. 

@Obibun  Yes, a bad start. It's almost certain your account has been created but your access is cut off for now. Some additional thoughts:

a) Have you tried the SIM in your phone? Is there any message on the phone after rebooting with the SIM installed?

b) Have you tried to create an account here? https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/self-registration/ 

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Obibun it will work!  Just try it again if it's been an hour. The website just put a a hold on the sim card number for an hour if anything goes wrong in the activation. Use chrome to activate and take your time, just click once and wait because sometimes it takes a minute or so to get to the next step in the activation process.  Good luck! 

Obibun

So, essentially, a $10 SIM card and a $48 Voucher have now been used, but no account has been created and I may be lucky to receive a reply in a few days to possibly fix the issue?

Rest assured after this is sorted and my money and time is used up with this company, they will not be receiving another cent of my business. 

I'll also make sure everyone else knows it, especially on social media. What a joke. 

@Obibun wrote:

I am not sure what would be "locked" here.. there is no account to be locked out of. 

And the SIM card shows invalid. 

This has nothing to do with passwords.

It's not the account that's locked it's the site session that is locked. Takes about an hour to release.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Obibun If your credit card has not been charged, the system will release your SIM in a few hours. You can attempt activation then, but do use incognito mode. Please review this article to see if you made any errors: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-to-Activate/ta-p/251824

If you have been charged, the system MAY get sorted but it's best to click this: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 to send a private message to the moderator team with a description of your issue. Sometimes they answer within in 24 hours, but usually take several days.

Obibun

I am not sure what would be "locked" here.. there is no account to be locked out of. 

And the SIM card shows invalid. 

This has nothing to do with passwords.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

After several unsuccessful attempts, you'll be locked out for awhile. Give it an hour. Make sure to write down all your passwords for future referernce.

@Obibun wrote:

Hello,

I went through the entirety of the activation process (including adding a voucher) and the last page hung for quite a while. When I tried to do it again, it said "this account has already been activated"

However there is no evidence of it having been activated on my phone, and my account on the website was NOT created. I cannot log in, and cannot even reset my password as it does not recognize the email I used to create my account.

Now when I attempt to try the process again, I am told the SIM I am using is invalid.

srock
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

Same issue, waiting on moderators. Any other ideas?

Thanks

-Seb

@Obibun wrote:

Hello,

Obibun
Need Help? Let's chat.