cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this possible? Kodoo # to PM & PM# to Koodo?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Hi guys.

Wondering if this is possible to do. I have a few accounts with both companies and want to make a small switch without loosing Public Mobile rewards or have extra tab charges with Koodo.

Koodo # (has tab) I want that number to go on my Public Mobile sim card.

Public mobile # (has a bunch of rewards) I want that number to go my Koodo sim card.

So basically just numbers switched and everything else remains exactly the same on both accounts.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

21 REPLIES 21

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

A forwarded calls would count as outgoing. Unlimited incoming wouldn't cover that.

Thanks.  Didn't think of that.

@zblackma wrote:

Just curious, why not send out a group message letting your PM contacts know that your new number will be the koodoo S35 gig one. Drop your pm account down to the $15 plan.  You get unlimited incoming calls, forward all your calls to the new phone.  This article tells you how to do it =  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-To-Use-Your-Phone-and-Plan-Feature...

A forwarded calls would count as outgoing. Unlimited incoming wouldn't cover that.

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just curious, why not send out a group message letting your PM contacts know that your new number will be the koodoo S35 gig one. Drop your pm account down to the $15 plan.  You get unlimited incoming calls, forward all your calls to the new phone.  This article tells you how to do it =  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-To-Use-Your-Phone-and-Plan-Feature...

@Jeanneb wrote:

I don't see why not!

With the way that number portabiity is set up, and with carriers having rules regarding their customer service departments about swapping numbers between accounts, this request wouldn't be accommodated.

Jeanneb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't see why not!

@LoveMyBolt wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

Koodo home phone 20 year old bell landline ported a few years ago to Koodo.

Bell landline ported to Petro Mobility then ported to Public Mobile $25 plan.

Just on that I would tend towards not really right to ask. If everything was all Telus then maybe reasonable to ask.

@LoveMyBolt  yup agree! Leaving everything as is. Thanks again.

LoveMyBolt
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Jb456 wrote:

Koodo home phone 20 year old bell landline ported a few years ago to Koodo.

Bell landline ported to Petro Mobility then ported to Public Mobile $25 plan.

Just on that I would tend towards not really right to ask. If everything was all Telus then maybe reasonable to ask.

LoveMyBolt

@computergeek541 Yeah I certainly have no idea of the internal workings of cell phone providers. I had thought just copying the number from one account and putting in a temp number and then copying the number from another account and pasting in the first number so that's done and then pasting the second number into the first account over the temp number. All things about the accounts remain equal. A lot like changing your own number.

But I don't know these things.

@LoveMyBolt wrote:

In reply to your dropped post...I'd still ask. It's all Telus. Do the numbers also originate from within Telus? Or were one or more ported in from elsewhere?

Yes seems like when I edited that post it disappeared.

Have two #s on this Koodo account. Koodo home phone 20 year old bell landline ported a few years ago to Koodo. ( Not touching that one)

Koodo cell number (the one I want on PM) the number is not necessary important but in away it is as it's last 4 digits of that 20 year old land line. 

The thing is that that cell number is locked into a new tab for a P30 pro. (After Koodo changed their tab rules in Aug 2019) so its kind of stuck sitting on $35 2gb plan till tab is done in 24 months and not really being used.

The PM number is also over 12 years old. Bell landline ported to Petro Mobility then ported to Public Mobile $25 plan. This number is used constantly for data, text, calls. The account on PM has $9 in reward credits each month.. 2gb of promo data and 800 promo minutes just sitting there.

So I figured a quick switch of numbers since it's all telus. Drop PM plan to $15 and use Koodo $35 2gb plan would be an easy way to save some $$$.

Thanks for your time. I'll just leave everything as it is.

@LoveMyBolt wrote:

From reading around I had thought that that was moving numbers from one account to another. I hadn't known that would include all of Telus. Maybe it makes sense it would.

I see this as the same thing.

You'd have to get someone to go into the backend of the system and assign the number manually to each account.

Or, you'd have to port out to a new Telus account to avoid the current Telus number from being replaced. The Telus number would then have to ported to a new Public Mobile account. That part is doable. However, you'd then need to convince someone at both Telus and Public to duplicate the old plans and have the account balances/credits/rewards transfered over. They're not going to do this.

LoveMyBolt

@computergeek541 wrote:

@LoveMyBolt wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@LoveMyBolt wrote:

No.

Or ask the moderators since it's all Telus.

Don't waste time asking.  It cannot be done.  Moderators cannot stop an account from closing when the number is ported out.  

So don't port. Ask. It's all Telus. I did say no though.

Pubilc Mobile specicially will not help with this. While technically possible to do, moderators have to follow policy. They've been told not to do it. 

From reading around I had thought that that was moving numbers from one account to another. I hadn't known that would include all of Telus. Maybe it makes sense it would.

@LoveMyBolt wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@LoveMyBolt wrote:

No.

Don't waste time asking.  It cannot be done.  Moderators cannot stop an account from closing when the number is ported out.  

Pubilc Mobile specicially will not help with this. While technically possible to do, moderators have to follow policy. They've been told not to do it. Even if one of the moderators is willing to do it (which they won't), it's not going to be easy to find one who knows how. This is not something that they're going to be trained to do, especially when it's specifically forbidden.

@Jb456 wrote:

Hi guys.

Wondering if this is possible to do. I have a few accounts with both companies and want to make a small switch without loosing Public Mobile rewards or have extra tab charges with Koodo.

Koodo # (has tab) I want that number to go on my Public Mobile sim card.

Public mobile # (has a bunch of rewards) I want that number to go my Koodo sim card.

So basically just numbers switched and everything else remains exactly the same on both accounts.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

The problem isn't gettting the numbers to the other carrier. The problem is when you port a number out, it automaticaly closes the account of the old carrier. This process also replaces the phone number at the new carrier.

You can move the phones numbers, but you'll need new accounts if you want to keep both numbers inolved.

LoveMyBolt

@Jb456 In reply to your dropped post...I'd still ask. It's all Telus. Do the numbers also originate from within Telus? Or were one or more ported in from elsewhere?

@will13am wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Absolutely not possible.  A number port closes the line.  No way around that.  

Thanks @will13am kind of figured it wouldn't be possible but was hoping. My attempt to save $260 a year has failed 😭 lol. 

Thank you for your time!

Are the phone numbers worth $260 a year?  Just use the two accounts as they are.  TBH, I want to get AB phone numbers for the entire family so I can save some tax.  Trouble is a lot of people cannot get over the paradigm that everyone should have an area code local to where they actually live.  

@will13am Thankfully I don't pay tax 😁(native status) but yes, both numbers are old land line numbers, one over 20 years old. So they're important

The thing is the number on Koodo $35 plan medium 2gb data quebec is rarely used. Maybe 200 mb a month, zero text and very few calling minutes. 

The one on PM $25 plan is used constantly. 

Wanted to get that Koodo # to the PM account and switch the plan to $15 plan. With the rewards would be like $6 every 30days before community rewards.

Then have public mobile number switched to koodo account to use the $35 plan.

Oh well wishful thinking lol

@Jb456 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Thanks @will13am kind of figured it wouldn't be possible but was hoping. My attempt to save $260 a year has failed 😭 lol. 

Thank you for your time!

Are the phone numbers worth $260 a year?  Just use the two accounts as they are.  TBH, I want to get AB phone numbers for the entire family so I can save some tax.  Trouble is a lot of people cannot get over the paradigm that everyone should have an area code local to where they actually live.  

@will13am wrote:

Thank you for your time!

LoveMyBolt

@will13am wrote:

@LoveMyBolt wrote:

No.

@LoveMyBolt wrote:

No.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

LoveMyBolt

No.

Need Help? Let's chat.