cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a family plan?

hstraf
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

We have eight people in our family.  (Two parents and six kids.)    Currently we use a Family Plan from Bell, which gives us a single (large) bill that includes a big pool of minutes/texts/data that we divide up between the eight phones however we want.

For example, we have allocated Child #1 phone to have 50 texts/month and 100 minutes/month and 500gb data/month.   Child #2 phone has 100 texts/month and 200/minutes/month and 1gb data/month.  Etc...   (Each phone can have a different amount of minutes/texts/data allowance.)

Does Public Mobile offer something similar?   If not, then what is the best way to move a big family over to Public Mobile services?  

(We own our own phones, so we would be bringing our own devices.)

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Yeah, I manage 4 accounts and they all renew on separate days for that same reason @will13am @hstraf .

It does appear that Public Mobile fixed the issue with using the same credit card more than twice.  I do have the same credit card set up on all the accounts which I could not do previously.  The system would cry foul on the third use. 

I do think that talking to the credit card company may help to alleviate things like multiple purchases over short span of time from same merchant.  Back when Future Shop was still around, I made back to back purchases of something on sale.  I had to do that because it was one sale item per customer.  When I did the second purchase 5 minutes later, my credit card was locked.  I called visa to see what happened and they told me anti fraud system kicked in when they saw the identical purchase within a short period of time from the same store.  I explained the situation to them and they said the system does adapt to usage patterns.  I never had the problem repeat ever again. 

Yeah, I manage 4 accounts and they all renew on separate days for that same reason @will13am @hstraf .

@hstraf wrote:

I am playing just over $300/month (not including tax) for our family plan.  It includes unlimited text/voice and 20gb of data, which I can split however I want with up to 8 phones registered in the plan.  (It was previously only allowed 4 phones, but I got them to change it to 8 when I called them a few years ago and said I would switch to another provider if they didn't give me a few extras.)

I switched another phone I have for work (not in our family plan) over to Public Mobile last year, just to test things out... and things have been very good.  Solid reception and no problems.   So now I am considering to switch all of us over.  Some of the kids don't need much, so I'm thinking the $10 or $15 plans would be good.. which would allow a bit of $$ to be saved.)

It really sucks about not being able to manage everything from one account control panel, however.  😞

Those shared data plans are a marketing scheme of the past.  If they work for you, then stay where you are.  In any event, managing 8 separate accounts with Public Mobile can be a handful until you get used to it.  I run 5 myself, so I know a little bit about juggling many balls in the air so to speak. 

In any event, your average cost per line right now is $37.50 per user.  With Public Mobile I definitely see a savings opportunity.  If all member in the family were to take the $40/5GB plan, you would pretty much break even with auto pay.  The savings comes from getting plans with less data for those who do not need 5GB per month.  The flexibility of Public Mobile is that you can switch plans each renewal, so you are not locked into something that is not suitable. 

The one difficulty I see with managing so many lines is with setting up auto payment.  If all lines were renewing on the same night and 8 separate requests for payment were to come from the same merchant, the credit card company would most definitely locked down the credit card on suspicions of fraud.  A discussion with the credit card company about this may be required or use different credit cards/stagger payment due dates.  In my own case, I have 5 different renewal dates for the accounts. 

Long story short, the savings potential is there, but some work is needed to achieve it. 

Cath
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

There may be a further issue to complicate your signup.  At one time, PM had a restriction on the number of accounts that could use the same CC for autopay.  I believe there was a workaround but I’m not sure what it was.  Maybe someone more knowledgeable can clarify.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hstraf wrote:

I am playing just over $300/month (not including tax) for our family plan.  It includes unlimited text/voice and 20gb of data, which I can split however I want with up to 8 phones registered in the plan.  (It was previously only allowed 4 phones, but I got them to change it to 8 when I called them a few years ago and said I would switch to another provider if they didn't give me a few extras.)

I switched another phone I have for work (not in our family plan) over to Public Mobile last year, just to test things out... and things have been very good.  Solid reception and no problems.   So now I am considering to switch all of us over.  Some of the kids don't need much, so I'm thinking the $10 or $15 plans would be good.. which would allow a bit of $$ to be saved.)

It really sucks about not being able to manage everything from one account control panel, however.  😞

You will cut your monthly payment in half by using the $23 and $13 plans.

Agree.  It will take time to login to 8 accounts.

hstraf
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hstraf 

How much are you paying Bell per month for 8 people sharing a family plan?

PM is a prepaid service provider which does not have family plan.  Only postpaid provider has family plan in Canada.

For the person, who need 1GB data or less, can get the $23 with autopay for

• 500 MB Data⁴ at 3G speed
  • + BONUS 500 MB with AutoPay
  • UNLIMITED Talk Canada-wide
  • UNLIMITED International Textand Picture Messaging
  • VOICEMAIL &Call Display

For the person, who need less data, can get the $13 with autopay for 

• 100 MINUTES Canada-wide talk
  • UNLIMITED Incoming calls
  • UNLIMITED International Textand Picture Messaging
  • + BONUS 250 MB Data⁴ at 3G speed with AutoPay

You can buy add-ons if you run out of minutes.

Refer to the following link for other plans

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@hstrafTo add to what @cavemantoronto each account needs a unique email that ideally has never been in Public Mobile's system before. Each referrer ie new account holder gets one time $10 credit off.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@hstraf 

No family plans, no share plans, only one plan per account

After first account, all others can be referred by one of the others getting the referrer a $1 discount each 30 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.