cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a Walmart in Canada who sells the SIM card without activation?

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I walked into Walmart in Calgary and wanted to buy a SIM card to take the flash sale offer. Well, they didn't want to sell it to me "We only sell with activation".

I walked out and thought to myself "Walmart, you can shove the $20 referral commission into wherever the sun don't shine"...

Public Mobile must clearly communicate with their resellers, or don't offer flash sales where an online SIM card order is impossible to get on time. *vent off*

8 REPLIES 8

@ute1978 wrote:

I walked into Walmart in Calgary and wanted to buy a SIM card to take the flash sale offer. Well, they didn't want to sell it to me "We only sell with activation".

I walked out and thought to myself "Walmart, you can shove the $20 referral commission into wherever the sun don't shine"...

Public Mobile must clearly communicate with their resellers, or don't offer flash sales where an online SIM card order is impossible to get on time. *vent off*

The current flash sale is applicable to in-store activations. Whether it's a privacy issue or not wanting to wait while the activation is being done, you would still receive the second 30 days of service for free if activating a $25 or higher plan.  Stores do receive a commission for activating customers, but it's not a $20 account credit. Activating there also doesn't prevent you from having someone refer you.

DonForgo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@AE_Collector wrote:

Walmart doesn't get the $20 because they do the activation. The person who's referral code is given to Walmart to enter during the activation gets the $20. And you get $10.

There is no downside to having a dealer do this activation for you.

AE_Collector

Technically there is risk.
You would be giving your credit card, and personal information over to the person signing you up. All it takes is credit card number and driver's license to activate you on any carrier, take a couple $0 phones in your name and sell it off. 

Walmart doesn't get the $20 because they do the activation. The person who's referral code is given to Walmart to enter during the activation gets the $20. And you get $10.

There is no downside to having a dealer do this activation for you.

AE_Collector

ute1978

@mimmo wrote:

@ute1978  you can leave reviews using this link https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/store-locator

Ahhhh, thanks, you were too fast.

ute1978

@ShawnC13 wrote:

This issue has been going on for a long time.  All I can recommend is to use the retail locator and leave a comment on those locations you have issues with

Kann you please point me to the retail locator?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ute1978  you can leave reviews using this link https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/store-locator

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@ute1978 wrote:

This issue has been going on for a long time.  All I can recommend is to use the retail locator and leave a comment on those locations you have issues with

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

DonForgo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@ute1978 wrote:

Public Mobile must clearly communicate with their resellers, or don't offer flash sales where an online SIM card order is impossible to get. *vent off*

Amazon.ca sells Public Mobile SIMs.
London Drugs does as well, bought one there last Friday, no issue. 

Walmart representatives are not Walmart employeees, they are a third party company. 
Reps there make minimum wage and relies on commissions, probably trying to get you to pick a post paid carrier that signs you up with an agreement, which could make them a few bucks versus basically nothing with Public Mobile. 

Need Help? Let's chat.