cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the web site a joke? Keep getting 404 errors.

nickybro
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Been trying to activate for 3 hours.  This is a joke.  I had to pick phone numbers like 8 times. Then I finally get it to the activation screen and I enter my visa debit info and it says it is invalid and it is not.  Then after 3 hours it tells me to go to www.activate.publicmobile.ca to restart it. I do that and now wont accept the sim card number. Is this a scam to get people to keep buying SIM cards because I am not buying another one I will go with another mobile operator like Bell.  Joke you cannot contact anyone in customer service, I doubt I will get quick help. Thanks tho, Nick.

6 REPLIES 6

Cgfitzhe1982
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We’re you doing the activation on a mobile device (tablet/cell phone) or on a pc/laptop? I’ve set up accounts for several people and doing it on a mobile device never works well, but the set up from a laptop or pc has always worked terrific! 

Fenix
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Websites are very secure now and it is known to cause finicky behaviour for web pages. I myself activated 2 sim cards tonight and I made sure each time I went to activate the sim card Iwent directly to the https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-started  and clicked on the button beneath step #3. 
As previously mentioned by @Ionut an incorrect url can possibly cause the activation page to error out. Incorrect credit card information can also cause this by throwing a timeout error, with one of my activations tonight I entered incorrect info for the credit card and it took a good 2 minutes maybe longer before it told me so, on slower internet connection this could be a big problem. Anyways, good luck Smiley Happy

Ionut
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Easy solution. Remove from https://www.activate.publicmobile.ca/  the WWW to be  https://activate.publicmobile.ca/ and will work 100%. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Unfortunately the self serve portal is rather fragile.  Entering the payment card step is subject to glitches often.  If reattempt suggests the SIM card is already activated, then I suggest checking the bank account to see if money has been taken.  If so the account may be partially set up in which case I recommend contacting the moderator team and having them complete the rest of the setup.  Account activation can be fraught with issues but once up and running the service is very trouble free.  Anyway, the moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Refer to the following knowledge base link for information on contacting the moderator team.

nickybro
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

thank you , I am computer literate and burping is a understatement. Its 404 errors. I will try in 2 hours at 10pm NST see if that works I think I entered a space in my postal code for the visa payment as well probby what screwed it up. I write back if I cannot get it working I go back to Walmart (even tho they said I would not be able to get a refund or new sim if it didnt work) I told them I set up many cell phones online but did not expect all these errors, Thanks for your quick help tho.

Nick

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nickybro, Unfortunately, sometimes the system burps up during activation...

Regarding your SIM card, do not worry, you d not need to get a new one.  I suspect the message said something like it is reserved/locked in a session, or something like that.  If so, it will clear itself out within a couple of hours from when you first tried to register it.  As for the Debit card issues, that too happens some times.  For that problem, I suggest clearing your browser cache, and running your browser in privacy/incognito mode.  Regarding the info you enter for your Visa debit card, be sure it is exactly as it is shown on your account.  this is very important.

If, when you retry the registration you get errors again, take down the exact message and post it here so that we can give you more specific answers.

Need Help? Let's chat.