cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it conceivable to port an existing Telus landline to PM?

Koombassi
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Quick background: happily, and successfully moved from Telus Mobility to PM and ported my existing #. That was three weeks ago. 
So, I'm wondering:

1. can I port my existing landline # from Telus to PM? If yes, how would I do that?

2. what kind of phone would I now need on PM?

3. What PM plan should I use, considering I only need Voice? No data needed but texting feature might be useful. 
Thank you in advance for answers to the above AND most appreciated your thoughts and experiences. Also, no urgency here, considering other folk having more important issues. 

35 REPLIES 35

@Koombassi 

Already moved...... so my eliminated post (with the big red warning that I can't access the message) telling you to choose @Dunkman 's post for the solution is unnecessary.....hopefully that gets rid of that daily frustrating irritant out of the way!

Koombassi

@darlicious 

Your instructions worked perfectly!

Existing landline number verified, no page errors. 
Takes awhile to learn the tricks of managing the website

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Koombassi 

for more info Transferring Or Changing Your Phone Number Click HERE ,

or

Number Transfer (Port) Troubleshooting, Click HERE,

or

Choosing Or Transferring A Phone Number During Activation, Click HERE.

if are you stuck with Transferring your old Phone Number,

In order to transfer a phone number over to Public Mobile - you will need to activate an account with a temporary phone number and after that your contact customer service by Moderator Team, for the transfer your number to Public Mobile,

Here’s how to contact customer service by Moderator Team,

• or you can send a private message to Moderator Team  by Click HERE
  • You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• please include in your message,
  • your phone number,
  • which carrier,

Good luck and your welcome to Public Mobile

with a Beautiful Service

you will be very happy

@Koombassi 

Exactly.....temporary because you will be changing it. It also indicates to just pick whatever number rather wasting time looking for one you like or a specific area code (although this where an alberta area code would be advantageous).

@Koombassi 

Sorry about confusion.  In your case, if you plan to port your landline over, it will be temporary new mobile number.  For others, it will be their new permanent mobile number.  

Koombassi

@Dunkman 

"Temporary number assigned"? 
Could you help me understand the temporary vs. permanent nature? Or, are you saying temporary because I'll likely change it later? 
not trying to be obtuse here Dunkman, just want to clarify terminology. 
thanks. 

@Koombassi  yes, when you activate a new line, you can pick a new number first.

When you are ready to port your Telus landline, you can go to Change phone number and request it that way. 

There should not be any issue with porting Telus landline., many people has been porting numbers from landline onto their mobile account

@Koombassi 

First always do the following when making changes or in your case wanting to check your landline  portability in your self serve account......

1. Clear your browser.
  2. Reboot your device.
  3. Open one tab only.
  4. Use secret/incognito mode.
  5. Firefox, chrome or safari work best.

Lol.....well you have answered your own question! It's a telus number so of course its portable!😂

But saying that the instructions above should eliminate the error message you are getting. The other option for checking eligibility would be to use this link if you were porting from another provider.

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do?lang=en&appname=otherportal

@Koombassi 

Situation: If I activate a new PM account (bringing new phone); PM assigns a new telephone number? Is that correct?

Correct.  You actually can choose your new temporary number. PM will offer you a few phone number choices. 

If I subsequently (say, a month or so later), want to then port in my existing Telus landline number, (changing the one assigned by PM), I believe I can do that too. (thanks to previous input from the community). 

Correct.  

As a check, (on my existing PM account) I went the Change Telephone Number tab, clicked on Phone from Other Provider; and tried to Confirm the validity of my existing Telus number (the one I will port). 
I got an Error page! Not sure why that happened. 

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated?

Website can be finicky.  Try a different web browser, clear cache or incognito mode.  Or even a different device sometimes.  

Koombassi

This is a follow up question to my initial enquiry, and I thank all those who responded with helpful information and suggestions. 
Situation: If I activate a new PM account (bringing new phone); PM assigns a new telephone number? Is that correct?

If I subsequently (say, a month or so later), want to then port in my existing Telus landline number, (changing the one assigned by PM), I believe I can do that too. (thanks to previous input from the community). 

As a check, (on my existing PM account) I went the Change Telephone Number tab, clicked on Phone from Other Provider; and tried to Confirm the validity of my existing Telus number (the one I will port). 
I got an Error page! Not sure why that happened. 

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated?

Koombassi

@BlueB 

Thanks for the encouragement. Alas, being active here is a balancing act between competing priorities. 

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Koombassi 

If you keep staying active here, you'll earn a Community Reward too! 😄

Koombassi

@esjliv 

.....Ahhhh!

thank you. 

@Koombassi wrote:

@darlicious 

So, when i have many responses and several opinions, I'm guessing I should pick the response from all of them that best or more completely answers my questions? In hindsight I just grabbed the first one that said Solution.

Now, does the Community member get "credit" for my acceptance of the response? I'm now guessing yes! In which case I should have slowed down before clicking the Solution option. 

Can I plead a 'Senior's moment" on this? Or, Mea Culpa if you've a Latin bent?

@Koombassi 

You should pick the solution that best helped you; and can help others searching for the same issues/questions you are asking about.

Members who participate can receive Community awards from Public Mobile, that are usually awarded every month around the 6-9th, to those who quality.

There is a secret formula, some hidden, dark algorithm that uses members posts/bravos/solution counts for the previous month.

Koombassi

@darlicious 

So, when i have many responses and several opinions, I'm guessing I should pick the response from all of them that best or more completely answers my questions? In hindsight I just grabbed the first one that said Solution.

Now, does the Community member get "credit" for my acceptance of the response? I'm now guessing yes! In which case I should have slowed down before clicking the Solution option. 

Can I plead a 'Senior's moment" on this? Or, Mea Culpa if you've a Latin bent?

BlueB

@darlicious 

Thanks - all great info and I'm familiar with a lot of that, although what is still a bit hidden is some of the handshaking done in the background and how Telus decided to manage part of that internal process.  Regardless, appreciative for the insights. 🙂

@Koombassi 

I agree with your points except #2. It is just as easy to port your landline into pm as a mobile number if not easier.....with the exception that it takes a little longer. To be proactive once you make the porting request ( from your newly set up self serve account for example) call your landline provider's customer service number and verify your are the account holder and verbally authorize the port request you have just made. Simple....then just monitor your landline for when its services stop working then you know the new pm phone is able to recieve calls and the port is complete.

You are always welcome to private message me and if a flash sale is announced or a CCS flash sale that would benefit your situation is emailed to me I will send you a heads up

Of course you can choose the solution you think is most appropriate. I was just surprised by the one you chose over your original one.

@Koombassi wrote:

@darlicious 

Perhaps I chose the wrong response to accept a solution to my question. The responses from the Community has been awesome! I wanted to indicate that my questions have been answered to my satisfaction. Here's what I think I know: 

1. I need a cell phone, not a landline to switch to PM

2. Not a simple process to bring over my existing landline number from Telus. 

3. The appropriate PM plan should be based on my projected monthly Talk time. 

4. Should I decide to switch from Telus to PM I will likely opt for another iPhone.  

I think that's it D.  
How do I know indicate "the solution" has been described for me?

I thank you for the opportunity to message you regarding some ideas re: setup/activation. 

It's a simple process to port over a landline from Telus. The request is made from inside your Public Mobile account.  When it comes to plan selection, most plans included unlimited calling. 

Koombassi

@darlicious 

Perhaps I chose the wrong response to accept a solution to my question. The responses from the Community has been awesome! I wanted to indicate that my questions have been answered to my satisfaction. Here's what I think I know: 

1. I need a cell phone, not a landline to switch to PM

2. Not a simple process to bring over my existing landline number from Telus. 

3. The appropriate PM plan should be based on my projected monthly Talk time. 

4. Should I decide to switch from Telus to PM I will likely opt for another iPhone.  

I think that's it D.  
How do I know indicate "the solution" has been described for me?

I thank you for the opportunity to message you regarding some ideas re: setup/activation. 

@darlicious wrote:

@BlueB @softech 

Just in case you didn't read my post our fine oracle has kindly spelled out for you the error of your ways.😃

yup.. i missed the SMS part.. i was so focus on how to initiate the porting request.. my bad  😞

@Koombassi 

Did you change your solution? I am confused by this sudden change?

Edit:

Especially since it only partially answers one of your questions and it was more of a clarification to another member?🤔

@BlueB 

Look at it this way....when you initiate a port request at activation, thru your self serve account or thru the moderators the port request is going thru official channels where it is documented and the appropriate account information for the recieving end is supplied. You randomly calling the porting department with account details from both ends of the port with no provider identification would raise alarm bells.

To port in from koodo prepaid is a misnomer it is a number transfer. Porting is the transfer of a phone number out from one provider and into another mobile provider. Koodo prepaid accounts and the phone number to be transferred does just that it gets transferred from one account to another account within the same back end system that public mobile and koodo prepaid share.

No different than consolidating several numbers into a family plan where numbers are transferred from the same provider onto one account. ( which cannot be done at pm) Just transferred to a newly opened account with pm. The phone number doesn't ever leave nor enter a new provider's system....thus not ported. Which is why only the moderators can perform prepaid koodo transfers and with no actual access to pm accounts why the telus porting department cannot help with these situations.

@BlueB wrote:

@computergeek541 

Hmm, thanks for the clarification... post updated.  Does the same apply for Koodo?  🙂

Officially, Public Mobile seems to discourage the porting number being given out and doesn't want customers calling the Telus porting team. There was a time hat Public mobile specically said that the phone number was an internal company phone number and to not share it with anyone. One day, the number suprisingly showed up in Public Mobile's help articles, but that didn't last long.

Unless the porting team's policy has since changed, it's always been their policy that they couldn't initiate a porting request (doesn't matter which carier the number is coming from).  Porting to/from Koodo doesn't have any rules other than numbers from suspended accounts can still be ported.

Porting a nubmer from Koodo prepaid cannot be done from withhin Public Mobile self serve. A Public Mobile moderator's help is needed.

BlueB

@darlicious 

Yep, saw it, thanks!  Learning something new every day!  🙂

BlueB

@computergeek541 

Hmm, thanks for the clarification... post updated.  Does the same apply for Koodo?  🙂

@BlueB @softech 

Just in case you didn't read my post our fine oracle has kindly spelled out for you the error of your ways.😃

@BlueB wrote:

For a landline and Telus, create a Public Mobile account, then call the Telus Porting team to help you with an "internal" porting request.  🙂

The above process might not work. It used be that the Telus porting team could not initiate a porting request, but only follow up on an already existing request.  Porting from a landline, including one from Telus, can be done from a customer's Public Mobile self serve account.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Koombassi wrote:

Quick background: happily, and successfully moved from Telus Mobility to PM and ported my existing #. That was three weeks ago. 
So, I'm wondering:

1. can I port my existing landline # from Telus to PM? If yes, how would I do that?

If you meant, can you port your landline to your current PM account?

Yes, you can. It would replace your current number of course.

You can do this under the "Change Number" feature in your Self Serve.

2. what kind of phone would I now need on PM?

Obtain phone that supports Public Mobile which uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

Always good to check whether a phone will work with any provider, especially Public Mobile. Use more than one source to be sure.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA

https://willmyphonework.net

3. What PM plan should I use, considering I only need Voice? No data needed but texting feature might be useful. 

• Unlimited Texting is included in all in-market plans.
  • Voice/Talk is unlimited with exception of $15, which is 100 outgoing and unlimited incoming per cycle.
  • Data is included in all plans, lowest is 250mb on the $15 plan, whether you use it or not.

Thank you in advance for answers to the above AND most appreciated your thoughts and experiences. Also, no urgency here, considering other folk having more important issues. 

@Koombassi see above

@softech wrote:

1.  yes you can port from Telus landline to PM

please not the porting time will be longer .. 3 to 7 business days.. Process is the same.  You will need to activate a new line with another email address

The process is similar, but not exactly the same.  There won't be an SMS message sent to that needs to be responded to.  Also, the information requested on the porting form will be different. For example, one of the differences will be that the customer will be asked for the account billing address.

@Koombassi 

To answer your second post first....you need a cell phone. Pm only provides mobile services.

Transferring your landline is a little different from a mobile provider as you don't an SMS porting authorization text although you may get a call to confirm the port. Activate with a temporary number and once everything is working you can port in the landline thru your self serve account. You can continue to use the landline til services stop working on it and you will know your port has completed. The vast majority of the time this is done within 2 days but allow up to 7 days for completion. You can always call the telus porting department on the third day for a status report.

The plan you pick will obviously be based on your needs  but I suspect that as suggested that the $15 plan w/ the $5/500min add on to back up the outgoing minutes will suffice. If a free month credit flash sale comes up that you may or may not be able to stack with a CCS discounted activation bundle you can message me and I will tell you how to maximize your savings. I can suggest some good deals on phones too.

Transferring Your Number Into Public Mobile During Activation

You will be provided with the option to transfer your number during the activation process. Here are some things you should know:

• Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number
  • You cannot transfer numbers between Public Mobile accounts.
  • Your previous account must be active in order for the number transfer to go through. Once the transfer is complete, it will be automatically deactivated from your previous service provider.
  • Double check your old account info, as it needs to be correct in order for your number transfer to complete. Here’s the information you’ll need:

Mobile Phone Number Transfer

Landline Phone Number Transfer

Old service provider brand 

First and last name of account holder

IMEI Number OR Previous Provider Account Number

Complete billing address

Alternate Contact Phone Number

Alternate Contact Phone Number

Need Help? Let's chat.