cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it conceivable to port an existing Telus landline to PM?

Koombassi
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Quick background: happily, and successfully moved from Telus Mobility to PM and ported my existing #. That was three weeks ago. 
So, I'm wondering:

1. can I port my existing landline # from Telus to PM? If yes, how would I do that?

2. what kind of phone would I now need on PM?

3. What PM plan should I use, considering I only need Voice? No data needed but texting feature might be useful. 
Thank you in advance for answers to the above AND most appreciated your thoughts and experiences. Also, no urgency here, considering other folk having more important issues. 

35 REPLIES 35

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Koombassi 

Just to expand on @Dunkman - the NEW SIM card is absolutely necessary.  However, if you have a used/extra (modern) cell phone, you should be able to reuse that with the new SIM card. 

Public Mobile only provides cellular/mobile telephone service, so by transferring over, you're converting from landline to mobile (as @Dunkman mentioned).  Telus operates many services, including TV, internet, cellular AND landline.  So in this case, you're going from Telus Landline to Public Mobile cellular.  (You could technically also convert from Telus Landline to Telus Cellular, but that's not what's going on here.)

Hopefully this brings you some clarity, but we're happy to explain anything else if it helps you out. 🙂

@Koombassi 

@Koombassi wrote:

@softech 

@BlueB 

Great info from you both. As expected, I'm uncertain on the technology here. Do I need a "landline " or "cell phone". Thanks for your patience on this. 

You are trying to convert your landline number to a mobile phone number.  So, you will need to purchase a new mobile phone with new SIM card.  

Koombassi
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech 

@BlueB 

Great info from you both. As expected, I'm uncertain on the technology here. Do I need a "landline " or "cell phone". Thanks for your patience on this. 

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Koombassi 

Yep, you absolutely can!  Most phone numbers can be ported - mobile, landline, and even VoIP.  For a landline and Telus, create a Public Mobile account, you should still be able to use the self-serve porting option.  If you still have an issue, then call the Telus Porting team (let us know if you need the number).  🙂

What kind of phone?  Any modern cell phone should work.  You can check online or even ask us and we can spot check it for you too.

Public Mobile plans are pretty straight forward, and depends on how much Voice you need.  All plans come with Data, so there's no need to play around with different plans.  Pick a base plan that includes the number of outgoing minutes you need (since incoming is unlimited).  If you don't know, you can always start low, and buy an Add-On if you're going over that month, then adjust accordingly.

Why are you thinking of switching?  Just keep in mind, there are other options, such as VoIP, etc too.  🙂  If so (and assuming you have a Public Mobile account) - don't forget to refer yourself to get $10 credit on your new line + $1/mo credit recurring!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Koombassi 

1.  yes you can port from Telus landline to PM

please note the porting time will be longer .. 3 to 7 business days.. Process is the same.  You will need to activate a new line with another email address

2.  any phone will do. if you are fancy, get the coreless phone with Bluetooth..  then you can connect your cell phone to the cordless set and it will be like a true home phone

3.  depends.. if you don't talk a lot.. maybe starts with $15 and get the $5 for 500 extra mins addon..  You will then have 600 min a month.  if that is not good, you can then change back to the $25 plan

Need Help? Let's chat.