cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Public Mobile's Coverage Really This Good? How About in Winnipeg Canada?

Raymo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am looking to switch to a cost-effective carrier. Public looks great, but is it really? I am in Winnipeg and the coverage maps shows I am covered, but am I REALLY effectively covered? I am too used to Winnipeg being the largest small town in Canada and not having nice new things.

Also, if anyone knows; is there a plan configuration that will suit - Text and Data, minimal calling? Cheap as possible is best, thanks.

16 REPLIES 16

Peggie99

Check out the community threads about reduced voice coverage in Winnipeg and Brandon starting March 16, 2021.

Not a good idea to switch to PM right now.

caro-fire
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am really happy with the coverage I get, even 2 1/2 hours outside of town in the woods I can get coverage. I live in central bc.

cbenny13

Public Mobile uses the same towers as Telus and Koodo so it'll be just as good coverage as them

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Beauty of Public Mobile (as any other prepaid company) is that you can try it for fairly low price to ensure coverage and quality of reception. In total, you might lose maximum 25$ if you are not happy with the service. That's something that I did before moving my phone number to PM, got a sim card (used referral code from a friend), plugged into extra phone that I have and used service for few days before I actually canceled my service with another company and moved phone number to PM. Now, after 10 months of service, I'm so happy with that move. Ability to move up/down with plans as needed, gifts that PM is giving and service itself are excellent. There is no way that I would now go back to any of 3 big players and then only thing that I'm missing here at PM is eSim option. But I hope that will come one day as I'm sure in the future, eSim will be the only option. So, if you already have some other provider, just try this one for few days before moving your number. If not, just give it a try, I would be really surprised if PM doesn't work out for you. 

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Raymo ....You will be fine with service in MB. I am in rural MB with no issues where I am at. There are areas that have weak or service, but that hold true for all providers. They share towers.

rhbcc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

In addition to @cin7 post you can also share your Discount code or link (found on your PM account) and get $1 off for every friend that signs up.

@sheytoon wrote:

See my initial reply above William's post. Since Bell bought MTS, the situation is complicated. Bell and Rogers have a shared network, and Telus & Xplornet are competing by building out independent networks.

Only Winnipeg and Brandon are ready. Outside of those areas, you'll be on Rogers/Bell sites.

You are right about the Telus build out in Winnipeg.  I don't check the cell tower map regularly but the last time I checked which was a number of years ago, Telus had next to nothing in the city and now it is on par with both Bell and Rogers.  

@sheytoon wrote:

@Raymo Manitoba is a special province. You'll have Telus coverage in Winnipeg, Brandon and in between, along Highway 1, which is different coverage than Bell and Rogers. Outside of those areas, Telus has no network and the big 3 operators share the Bell/Rogers towers.

Prior to Bell taking over MTS, I would not recommend using a Telus brand in Manitoba.  I have used the Koodo brand in the province pre-takeover.  Even in the heart of the city, coverage was iffy.  There is pretty much no coverage east of Steinbach, until you get to Ontario.  Now, Telus brands have access to every MTS tower plus Bell has improve the network since the takeover and so coverage is solid everywhere in the province.  I don't think Rogers ever had any roaming arrangements with Telus at least not the times I have used the service.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Raymo ,

Winnipeg seems to have good cell coverage [including with Public Mobile = parent company Telus)]

https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Guides/Best-coverage-In-Winnipeg

There is no "heavy" TEXT/DATA plan without unlimited national minutes. So choose Public Mobile if any of the below plans fit your needs.

Current plans available to activate with Manitoba number are:

esjliv_0-1609126553844.png

See more info. https://publicmobile.ca/en/mb/plans

See my initial reply above William's post. Since Bell bought MTS, the situation is complicated. Bell and Rogers have a shared network, and Telus & Xplornet are competing by building out independent networks.

Only Winnipeg and Brandon are ready. Outside of those areas, you'll be on Rogers/Bell sites.

Raymo

@sheytoon-Thanks for the response! Can you provide a few more details as to why "this is no longer true in Brandon and Winnipeg"?

@will13am this is no longer true in Winnipeg and Brandon.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Raymo , BCE buying MTS was a big game changer.  Prior to that transaction, MTS was the coverage leader for the province.  Since Telus and BCE share cell towers, the coverage you get with Public Mobile is identical to/better than the old MTS coverage.  I hope this allays any fears of poor coverage.  

@Raymo Manitoba is a special province. You'll have Telus coverage in Winnipeg and Brandon and in between, along Highway 1, which is different coverage than Bell and Rogers. Outside of those areas, Telus has no network and the big 3 operators share the Bell/Rogers towers.

cin7
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
There is also a Loyalty Rewards for every year that you continue being a customer with Public Mobile -

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/the-loyalty-reward

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Raymo 

Public mobile has excellent coverage across Canada.  Part of Telus company.  That is one advantage.  

The cheapest plan is the $15 plan. ($13/month if you sign up for autopay)

Unlimited text, unlimited incoming call minutes, 100 Canada wide outing minutes and 250 mb Data.  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans

If you sign up before the end of the year, you would qualify for the holiday give away with free 2GB data add on and 500 long distance minutes.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/More-is-Merrier-is-back-Free-gifts-for-...

Need Help? Let's chat.