cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 3G speed sufficient for Email/Pictures and Music Streaming

hightech
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello

I am currently with Telus on their LTE network but the monthly cost for their plans has gotten too high.  I was looking at the $50 for 8.5GB data at the 3G speed and wanted to know if the speed is sufficient for Email/Pictures and Music Streaming.  I don't watch any Youtube videos or do any video streaming on the mobile network (only on WiFi).  I just want to make sure that I won't get choppy connections with the 3G speeds.

With regards to music streaming, the options I have for speed are:

Low: 96 Kbps

Standard: 160 Kbps

High Quality: 320 Kbps

Which one would I need to use and not experience any dropouts?  I am in Toronto

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@GreatCanadian wrote:

@hightech@@@I was with Telus. Switched for the same reason. I'm on 3g. I stream music, use my phone a lot for email and browsing..AND I watch hockey and curling on my phone. No issues whatsoever. You'll be more than happy with that 30 dollars in your pocket. 

GC 

Yep, I'm basically in the same boat. 3G on PM has been more than sufficient and I think it'll serve the OP well. Gotta love the savings and the great support through the forums!

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hightech@@@I was with Telus. Switched for the same reason. I'm on 3g. I stream music, use my phone a lot for email and browsing..AND I watch hockey and curling on my phone. No issues whatsoever. You'll be more than happy with that 30 dollars in your pocket. 

GC 

@hightech wrote:

Thanks for the prompt reply from everyone.  It looks like PM would meet my needs while saving around $30 a month in costs which would pay for my monthly home internet.

I sometimes watch live hockey games while at the lake, hotspotting from my phone to my ipad and have no lagging with the video. I must say though, 8.5gb will stream a lot of music.

If either response to your particular request leads to the resolution of your issue , please help other community members by marking that post as the solution. Thank You

hightech
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the prompt reply from everyone.  It looks like PM would meet my needs while saving around $30 a month in costs which would pay for my monthly home internet.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hightech  just wanted to give you a shoutout for doing your research and asking questions first.  Far too many people jump then complain about this or that.  

Do not hesitate to ask any questions.  the community is always happy to help.

srlawren

@ShawnC13 wrote:

I don't think you would have any issues with the 3G (LTE lite) plans.  The 3G plans here are a throttled LTE Connection at 3mbs.  You could also just connect via an actual 3G connection through your phone settings and users are getting 20+mbs

@hightech yes, the 3Mbps throttled LTE plan should be more than capable of handling even the 320Kbps audio streaming.  Note that not everyone will get 20+Mbps by switching phone to HSPA+ but you may see a quicker download speed than the throttled 3Mbps.  It will vary by area and network congestion and such.  Just did a test on HSPA+ mode near downtown Vancouver and got around 13Mbps down and nearly 5 up, but testing yesterday in the suburb in which I live, I was only getting me 4.5-6 down and under 1Mbps upload speeds.  YMMV.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Murco
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am in Edmonton and have had no problems streaming or send pics.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@hightech wrote:

Hello

I am currently with Telus on their LTE network but the monthly cost for their plans has gotten too high.  I was looking at the $50 for 8.5GB data at the 3G speed and wanted to know if the speed is sufficient for Email/Pictures and Music Streaming.  I don't watch any Youtube videos or do any video streaming on the mobile network (only on WiFi).  I just want to make sure that I won't get choppy connections with the 3G speeds.

With regards to music streaming, the options I have for speed are:

Low: 96 Kbps

Standard: 160 Kbps

High Quality: 320 Kbps

Which one would I need to use and not experience any dropouts?  I am in Toronto

Thanks

I don't think you would have any issues with the 3G (LTE lite) plans.  The 3G plans here are a throttled LTE Connection at 3mbs.  You could also just connect via an actual 3G connection through your phone settings and users are getting 20+mbs

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo

yes it is sufficient.    

there are a cuple threads here comparing the 3g to full LTE.  will see if i can find them

you could sign up with the referal and auto paypay promos on the $30 plan for 1 gb and try it out.  then port just to make sure.

edit found one thread https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Share-your-3G-plan-experiences-here-laten...

Need Help? Let's chat.