cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone x using data while connected to wifi

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello, 

I am new to public mobile and just inserted my sim card to my iphone x. I haven't connected to the manually turned off the device but used 5 mb in less than one minute. I have since turned off the cellular data to be connected to wifi. Does anyone know of any fixes besides the one I have? 

8 REPLIES 8

brent_liza

very true. Forgot about that part. I will check and see once a day or two has passed. I like the fast responses and all the ideas from everyone. I appreciate it 🙂 

Yes, just making a valid data connection uses cellular data. I have seen that too when I switch carriers. In addition, Apple will be sending an text from overseas to confirm iMessage!

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

brent_liza

@Luddite I haven't sent any yet. i think it might be provisioning from sticking the sim card in. I'm going to see if it adjusts in a day or so. I don't use much data so not too worried. I couldn't beat the prices. I didn't know about public until I went into Walmart. I was tired of paying $70 for just 2gb of data and no mms or unlimited calling. Goodbye Virgin and Hello PM 🙂

@brent_liza wrote:

okay thank you so much. I even have all apps disabled and using chrome with data restrictions on. I hope that it is just the activation and will fix soon. 

No such luck. It's all in your phone settings somewhere.

If you are looking at data usage on the phone versus in your Public Mobile account, then you may see a discrepancy caused by MMS. MMS uses data but is not counted by Public Mobile against your allowance.

Here's a general review on the topic: https://www.howtogeek.com/212295/how-to%C2%A0reduce-your-iphone’s-cellular-data-usage/

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

brent_liza

okay thank you so much. I even have all apps disabled and using chrome with data restrictions on. I hope that it is just the activation and will fix soon. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@brent_liza I'm tagging my favourite iOS experts @Rockdaddy22 @Luddite to see if they might know what's going on there.  I'm guessing it's either iOS downloading a carrier update as a result of changing providers (new SIM card inserted) or.... well that's really my only guess except to say that at the very beginning of a new cycle (such as you just activated a new account), sometimes the data usage in self-serve account will show somewhere around 5MB of usage, but it always seems to either self-correct after a day or two.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

brent_liza

Hi 

I have that disabled.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Check to see if wifi assist is turned on. It’s an iOS setting

Settings - Cellular - go way to the bottom - wifi assist 

may or or may not be the issue

Need Help? Let's chat.