cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid sim

astronaut
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My partner was with PM and decided to go elsewhere.  Her account is now deactivated/deleted from PM.  I have her sim and would like to try PM for myself.  When I go to create an account with her old sim it tells me the number is invalid.  I have checked the number a bunch of times and I have tried a different browser (Firefox/Chrome) as others in the community have suggested. 

Any idea how this sim can be reactivated?  Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

wrote:

I wonder why the carriers can't reuse the sim cards?

I most likely answer that I can think of is that they jsut don't want to allow it.  There really isn't anything preventing it from being done.  In fact, sometimes when a carrier deactivates someone's service either by request or by accident, and even then proceeds to close out the account, carriers do have the ability to reactivate the old sim card.

Also, the carriers want to get you into the store.  By requiring pruchase of a new sim card, that gives them a sale opportunity to potentially up-sell you. Although it may be wasteful, sim cards are generally considered to be inexpensie and disposable.  And while, I'm sure that sim cards are usually very durable, it's probably never a bad idea to start off with a new sim whenever activating a new service. Sim cards that have been previously used my have been had the electrical contacts heavily scratched or the sim cards may have been exposded to the effects of ESD.

The carriers also likely don't want to have to deal with potentially having to keep track of multiple customer information of people who have used that same sim card before.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I wonder why the carriers can't reuse the sim cards?

ute1978

wrote:

Thank you for the prompt replies.  Seems like a ripoff and cash grab to me.  Time to rethink moving to PM.

Just for your information: ALL mobile phone carriers have the same policy, that if you port out your number the account from the previous carrier gets deleted. 

@astronautwrote:

Thank you for the prompt replies.  Seems like a ripoff and cash grab to me.  Time to rethink moving to PM.

Doesn't matter what carrier sim, you won't be able to use already used sim to activate again. 

astronaut
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

ute1978

Has your partner ported out the number to the new carrier? Then the SIM at Public Mobile and the account becomes invalid. If you want to try out Public Mobile you have to order a new SIM card.

EDIT: @NDesai beat me by 29 seconds.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@astronaut Once the sim is used, it cannot be used again to activate another line. You will need to purchase new PM sim from Walmart/wow mobile/k mobile or online

Need Help? Let's chat.