cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid SIM error - Trying to setup 2nd account/plan. Help

krcrazy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I bought a 2nd SIM card yesterday from Walmart to setup another plan for my daughter.  I keep getting Invalid SIM when I enter the numbers from the Card.  I read other posts and tried to clear cache, incognito mode, wait a couple of hours and still no go.

Had almost similar issues when setting up first plan for my son a couple of days ago but followed suggestions in other posts and it worked and his phone and SIM have been working fine since.  Was happy to go down to Walmart again for a second plan then this. Very frustrating experience.  So help please! 

Thank you.

J

27 REPLIES 27

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey everyone,

this is no big issue - as a new user, @krcrazy simply wanted to let the community know that his issue was resolved - he was not aware of which specific post to mark as a solution. 

Cheers everyone,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Anonymous
Not applicable

@krcrazy wrote:

Chill!

I had no idea about this "Solved Tag" thing and whatever goes with it.  Can someone undo it?  or should I get a Mod to undo and reward somebody with it?  Happy to do whatever needed.

I assumed it was part of poster's responsibility to tag something solved if they started an issue and not leave it hanging...at least at Boards I've used in the past.  I'd be happy to give whatever points if I have any...I dont care for these these things and am not here for those except for help resolution.

Let me know.

Cheers.

You can do it yourself. The black box says "Accept as Solution" on each post. Was your post the actual solution?

Good to hear you're familair with other forums. That makes it easier for you to operate this one. Many people come in here without a clue.

Other forums I've seen thread closed and end topic or whatever.

krcrazy

Chill!

I had no idea about this "Solved Tag" thing and whatever goes with it.  Can someone undo it?  or should I get a Mod to undo and reward somebody with it?  Happy to do whatever needed.

I assumed it was part of poster's responsibility to tag something solved if they started an issue and not leave it hanging...at least at Boards I've used in the past.  I'd be happy to give whatever points if I have any...I dont care for these these things and am not here for those except for help resolution.

Let me know.

Cheers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@krcrazy

Dude! krazykiwi just walked you through 2-odd pages of detail and you're gonna say YOU solved your issue?!

Giving oneself a solution is kinda frowned upon around these parts.

krcrazy

Finally...hallelujah!  2nd account with 4.5gb plan setup successfully! Fingers crossed SIM and everything works when I use it in my daughter's phone just like my son's did.

Went back to Walmart..the Manager did the "final sale policy" spiel, of course. One staff even turned to us and said she just tried and failed to activate a PM Sim for another customer there and had to use a different SIM card.  So, seems a common thing.  But the manager could see I won't get out of his face unless he replaced it and he gave in. Shook his hand and and got outta there asap.

Thanks for the tip about setting up different accounts and emails etc...everything in setup worked immediately...whew Smiley Happy

I better get to the Mods and tell them to ignore the reported issue, if they ever read it.

Cheers all.

Be aware that you can not use the same email for your second account as you did for the first. It uses the email address to identify you, or in this case your daughter and son. Also use the same email address for the individual community account as you do for setting up the individual self serve accounts. Again the email is the only link between the community and your account when you contact the MODs.

Please take the time to let us know what fixed the issue.

@krcrazy wrote:

Close enough...I'm planning to go down as soon as the broken water pipe in the house is fixed and a bunch of other fires all goin on at the same time Smiley Frustrated lol...it never rains but it pours!

I havent heard yet from Mods and I suspect there are way too many folks with more urgent issus to solve than mine to expect anything.  Thanks to all here with the patience and ideas to suggest...I'll get down eventually to Walmart and hope they don't pull a "Sorry, sold, so not our business any more but if you would like to buy another, we'll help you at once and sell you". haha.

Cheers.

LOL, I know what you mean. 

So far as the MODs go it is not on a priority basis, it is first come first serve and sending multiple messages does not move you up or down in priority.

I would definitely go back to walmart and show them how the system will not even accept the sim number and ask for another or a refund for selling a defective product. Point out you know how to do it as you just did your sons and it is working fine. 

krcrazy

Close enough...I'm planning to go down as soon as the broken water pipe in the house is fixed and a bunch of other fires all goin on at the same time Smiley Frustrated lol...it never rains but it pours!

I havent heard yet from Mods and I suspect there are way too many folks with more urgent issus to solve than mine to expect anything.  Thanks to all here with the patience and ideas to suggest...I'll get down eventually to Walmart and hope they don't pull a "Sorry, sold, so not our business any more but if you would like to buy another, we'll help you at once and sell you". haha.

Cheers.

Are you close to the walmart?

@krcrazy wrote:

Really...but its still intact and attached to the original Card...no damage to it and in pristine condition!  

Do you know if the Walmart staff are supposed to do anything, system wise, when they sell it over the counter?

I got the 1st Sim from the same Walmart but different staff...dont remember her doing anything specific before handing it to me.

No, do not think they do anything before selling it, except running it through the sales system. I think that is why they are hidden away, otherewise they could just leave them out. I guess it is possible they got the sim back from a previous customer who wanted a refund after activating it the same way you tried. Just speculating!

krcrazy

Really...but its still intact and attached to the original Card...no damage to it and in pristine condition!  

Do you know if the Walmart staff are supposed to do anything, system wise, when they sell it over the counter?

I got the 1st Sim from the same Walmart but different staff...dont remember her doing anything specific before handing it to me.

@krcrazy wrote:

Just tried again, no go 😞

Answer to your question, the Invalid Sim error shows as soon as I enter number and click Enter or go to the next field.

Hmmm, 2 reasons to get that error as I see it,

- corrupt sim or

- sim already been activated, not necessarily by you. I just tested this and that is what you get.

krcrazy

Just tried again, no go 😞

Answer to your question, the Invalid Sim error shows as soon as I enter number and click Enter or go to the next field.

@krcrazy wrote:

I didnt have a slow or unresponsive web experience when I was trying but will do...anything to get this thing to work!!

Tx.

Are you getting the error as soon as you put the number in or after you fill out the page and try to continue?

krcrazy

I didnt have a slow or unresponsive web experience when I was trying but will do...anything to get this thing to work!!

Tx.

I will point out that someone else was having an activation problem just now and all of a sudden it worked for them. Maybe the website is slow due to high traffic and times out or something.

Seems you have not punched it out yet, If you are not that far from the walmart, I would take it back, login in on my phone and show them it is showing as an invalid sim and ask for a new one, without charge of course. Then try the new one while you are there.

EDIT: If they offer to do it say no as it comes with an online offer.

krcrazy

Thanks for clarification...I was asking how to attach screenshots but just noticed the Camera icon....I must be blind!  

Cheers.

@krcrazy wrote:

Re: Promo.

But the thing is, technically, there is no record of "initiating" the process as you can get past the first field where you enter the SIM #.  All info in the rest of address, etc fill is of no use as you never get a chance to go to Save and/or go to next screen.

In my setup for 1st plan/Sim Invalid issue, I got that after getting past the screens and stumped at the Phone no. selection pages.  In that case, there would be a record.  In any case, I hope for the best.

Re: suggestion to add screenshot. I wanted to add screenshot of my SIM card that was still in original condition and attached to the square sleeve it comes in when you buy at Walmart.  I couldnt find any option to do so, like a "Paper clip" or something icon. Where do I click?

Re: Try inserting SIM to a phone.  Per above, I'd rather have it in original condition in case I'm asked to return it back to Walmart...hopefully not.

Thanks all.

By screenshot I meant a screenshot of the promo so you can show what the promo was and the dates and this is only in case they say you did not sign up during the promo.

krcrazy

Re: Promo.

But the thing is, technically, there is no record of "initiating" the process as you can get past the first field where you enter the SIM #.  All info in the rest of address, etc fill is of no use as you never get a chance to go to Save and/or go to next screen.

In my setup for 1st plan/Sim Invalid issue, I got that after getting past the screens and stumped at the Phone no. selection pages.  In that case, there would be a record.  In any case, I hope for the best.

Re: suggestion to add screenshot. I wanted to add screenshot of my SIM card that was still in original condition and attached to the square sleeve it comes in when you buy at Walmart.  I couldnt find any option to do so, like a "Paper clip" or something icon. Where do I click?

Re: Try inserting SIM to a phone.  Per above, I'd rather have it in original condition in case I'm asked to return it back to Walmart...hopefully not.

Thanks all.

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@krcrazy

Another knowledgeable member @krazykiwi mentioned as long as you initiated the sign in process they should honor the promo

@krcrazy wrote:

Thanks for this suggestion as I hadn't  tried a different computer but unfortunately still no go. 

As per everyone who helped suggested, I have PM'd the moderator team and hopefully they'll get back to me or better still help me resolve it soon.  I was hoping to take advantage of the Flash promo going on till Dec 2nd for $10 credit + referral promo from my 1st plan.  

...sigh...I hope but...sigh....

Take a screen shot of the promo so you can have it when contacting the MODs, just in case. You should get the promo as you have initiated the process. As will mentioned you have gone through it before so I am guessing you have tried alll the tricks. What happens when you put the sim in her phone? 

krcrazy

Thanks for this suggestion as I hadn't  tried a different computer but unfortunately still no go. 

As per everyone who helped suggested, I have PM'd the moderator team and hopefully they'll get back to me or better still help me resolve it soon.  I was hoping to take advantage of the Flash promo going on till Dec 2nd for $10 credit + referral promo from my 1st plan.  

...sigh...I hope but...sigh....

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi

I had the same issue yesterday

I hat to wait for 50 minutes for the sim number to be released from the session

i also went on a different computer just in case

hope it helps

cheers

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@krcrazy  Click this to send them a message. Remember to give a full description of your issue with as much detail and include your name, account number and/or phone number and pin number so they don’t send you a message back asking for more details.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@krcrazy, having been through it once and being able to overcome the issue, you know what the problem is.  I think you have a repeat situation.  So, if clearing cache, incognito mode, etc. doesn't do it, you might want to consider asking the moderator team to assist in the process.  

lemew07
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@krcrazy wrote:

I bought a 2nd SIM card yesterday from Walmart to setup another plan for my daughter.  I keep getting Invalid SIM when I enter the numbers from the Card.  I read other posts and tried to clear cache, incognito mode, wait a couple of hours and still no go.

Had almost similar issues when setting up first plan for my son a couple of days ago but followed suggestions in other posts and it worked and his phone and SIM have been working fine since.  Was happy to go down to Walmart again for a second plan then this. Very frustrating experience.  So help please! 

Thank you.

J

Good Morning. I think from what I have been reading you will need to contact the Mods. Send them a private message with your email and pin and a detailed discription of you problem. Good Luck Lemew

Need Help? Let's chat.