cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid SIM card

Squiggs
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi folks,

Just bought a new SIM from Wal-Mart and started going through activation process. Phone is unlocked and compatible. Put the card in and Public Mobile shows up on the screen. 

But, when I enter the 19 digit SIM card number, I get a small red error message saying "Invalid SIM". I triple checked and re entered the number. No success. Powered phone off and on, checked SIM card fit. Still no go. Wal-Mart told me they can't issue an exchange or refund.

Can someone advise how to contact a moderator to help?

Many thanks!

Squiggs

12 REPLIES 12

@simonzsayz wrote:

I know but does someone know how to reactivate it?

You can't reactivate a used sim card from a closed account.

simonzsayz

I know but does someone know how to reactivate it?

@simonzsayz wrote:

What about sim card that has been used before? 

Yes, the activation site would say invalid sim for a sim card that has been used before.

simonzsayz

What about sim card that has been used before? 

rhbcc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

all the above advices work but you can also try removing your sim and hard resetting your phone 🙂

@computergeek541 Thanks.

The invalid SIM happened when I activated an account. I definitely either was taking too long or I could have backed up at one point. In any event, I waited about an hour or so, then all was good. 🙂

@esjliv 

Invalid SIM means that if has been used before or that an activation was started but not completed. For an activation that wasn't completed, the error message is temporary.  Similar messages are also shown if an activation is started and the customer clicks the back button during any step. Sometimes, there is also a mesaage asking the customer to wait 50 minutes before trying again.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Squiggs,

How did you make out? Was this happening while you were trying to activate your account? If so, it is likely a "timed out" issue. It would be nice if the message came up saying this inside of INVALID SIN, because this does cause many people to think the same thing...SIN. Is. Invalid....which usually it is not if you are not completing the registration within a certain period of time.

Hope this is working for you know!

@Squiggs Hopefully it will work for you! Such errors happen to some people, and after 1 hour they can activate without issues.

Squiggs

Hi folks,

Thanks for the prompt suggestions. Will try both waiting an hour/incognito and live chat.

Thanks!

Will report back.

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Squiggs Hi have you tried the Live chat for activations on the public main page https://chat.telus.com/chat/publicmobile/chat-pm.html?portal=publicmobile&language=en

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Squiggs wrote:

Hi folks,

Just bought a new SIM from Wal-Mart and started going through activation process. Phone is unlocked and compatible. Put the card in and Public Mobile shows up on the screen. 

But, when I enter the 19 digit SIM card number, I get a small red error message saying "Invalid SIM". I triple checked and re entered the number. No success. Powered phone off and on, checked SIM card fit. Still no go. Wal-Mart told me they can't issue an exchange or refund.

Can someone advise how to contact a moderator to help?

Many thanks!

Squiggs

I would wait an hour or so and try again, but this time use your browser in incognito or private mode.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.