cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International text messages

DanAR
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm new to cell phones and their uses. How do I send international texts?  Anything special? And is there a way of knowing whether they went through to the recipient?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

DanAR

Thanks for the useful insight.

DanAR

Thanks for this.

DanAR

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@gblackma 

I wouldn't consdider 1 to be an exit code, but rather to be a country code.

@Anonymous 

While 011 will work in most cases, I would consider it simpler to use +.

Yes, for example dialing the UK both 011 44 or +44 will work from North America from a mobile phone. The reason it's better to use the + convention on a mobile phone is that the "exit code" used by each country varies, and the "+" will be automatically translated so will "always work" no matter where you are. For example in North America its 011, but it's 00 in the UK, 0011 in Australia, 010 in Japan, etc.

Of course it doesn't matter too much with Public Mobile as you can't use your PM SIM outside of Canada/USA, but if you're travelling and use an International SIM your saved contacts will then work from any country without any fuss.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous 

6 to 1.

I would say they're interchangeable anyway. Could be carrier dependent. Could be phone dependent.

I've always known to use 011. I think I saw somewhere that that is official Telus too.

But...tomayto..tomahto. 🙂

@gblackma 

I wouldn't consdider 1 to be an exit code, but rather to be a country code.

@Anonymous 

ParindaPatel
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Its very simple, you have to add contact number with proper country code and you are good to text anyone anywhere. for knowing it went through or not you can start a delivery report from your device. just go to message app > settings and search for the delivery reports and start that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DanAR wrote:

Moto G 7 Plus.

I found the setting and turned it on.

Thanks very much.

It already sounds like this place will be a great fit for you as it IS a hands-on, self-serve kinda place.

Just be aware that deeper technical or account issues will have to wait for the moderator team to reply to your request. But a lot of questions can be answered right here by your fellow customers or we can direct you to contact the mods.

Welcome to PM.

DanAR

Moto G 7 Plus.

I found the setting and turned it on.

Thanks very much.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@DanAR what's the make and model of the phone? if you open your messaging app and go to the settings menu. you should see "get sms delivery reports" somewhere in your settings, enable that option

DanAR

Thanks for pointing in the right direction.

DanAR

Thanks for the quick reply. Will check the listings.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@DanAR you have to dial the exit code https://www.thecountrycode.com/countries use this link to find the exit code for the country you are trying to call. Basically to Europe its 011, to US its 1 etc. The easiest way to know if it has been received is ask them to acknowledge receipt by replying. Welcome to the community.  Stay safe. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

011 then country code then the rest.

Your phone should have a confirmation function.

Need Help? Let's chat.