cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International calls

oneendlessroad
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

New to Public Mobile but so far so good. I occasionally need to call Australia and looked at the International add ons- it does not appear that Australia is an option ? Is it really the case that I cannot call certain countries ?

thanks 

11 REPLIES 11

Carniam
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I second the recommendation of WhatsApp. 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@oneendlessroad 

do you have a laptop and the people you are calling, do they have a laptop? 

You could call via, zoom, google meets, hangouts, house party. And you also get to see them too 🙂 

If you upgrade zoom for 20.00 then you get unlimited time otherwise the call is only 45mins. 

Also with zoom you can use their call option on your phone and call all over the world as well. 

hyT

I have to thank @darlicious for reminding us of that option.

hyT

I used to use calling cards to call Australia with my landline. It worked well and it was much cheaper than what Bell was charging for long distance. I didn't even own a cellphone then.

hyT

I use Whatsapp to text and occasionally voice or video call friends in Australia. It's free when you have Wi-Fi. It uses your data when you don't have Wi-Fi. I am not sure how much data it consumes though. You can download Whatsapp from the Google Play Store and register for Whatsapp with you PM phone number. Your friends also have to be registered with Wi-Fi for free.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@oneendlessroad Maybe buying a international calling card from a groceries store is not a bad choice.

@oneendlessroad  you can install Hangouts Dialer add funds to your account and call Australia. There are also other apps that will allow you to call from the Google Play store if you are on Android.

@oneendlessroad  Public mobile has a limited list of international calling destinations because it only negotiates for rates to certain countries that are guaranteed to have enough calls being made to justify the expense while keeping rates low.

Australia just doesn't have the population (nor do we)to create enough demand to justify the product. But if you have an unlimited calling plan you can choose from a myriad of calling cards available online or your local convenience store that are far cheaper than the rate public mobile could negotiate.

@oneendlessroad wrote:

Wow - disappointing. Are you aware if they plan to expand the list ?

thx

I have not heard anything so far about the list being expanded.

oneendlessroad
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Wow - disappointing. Are you aware if they plan to expand the list ?

thx

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@oneendlessroad 

Only the countries listed you can call with the international add on.

Included countries: Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.

Need Help? Let's chat.