cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“International Text” costs less than “No Text” ???

Public_Exposure
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Looking at Public Mobile for my Dad and maybe my family too. Under the build your own plan, under “Unlimited Text” are two choices. If you select “International” the monthly cost is $47, if “No Text” is selected the cost goes *UP* to $57. Is this a web site glitch or I don’t understand something, never heard of nothing costing more than something : /

23 REPLIES 23

Public_Exposure

I never suggested it's a rip off. I am saying you can play with all those buttons to make-your-own-plan and they ALL result in greater service for higher savings. The one exception is texting, less service and it costs more. it’s a outlier. Most people likely don't even notice but I did. Sorry that upsets you I noticed an odd thing.

I’ve been here for more than 2 years, researching the carrier for a year before that.

Back in the day, it was only build your own package.  Pick a plan length, talk option, text option (Canada wide was also an option then) and pick your data.

90 day plans were cheaper per 30 day than a 30 day plan, and taking all 3 choices was a large discount, 2 choice was a smaller discount, and no discount on a single service.

The premade plans are fairly new here, so savings are already included in the pricing.  You will see if you try to build your own plan for the $40 for 4.5 GB plan on offer, you actually will pay more than the prebuilt plan.  Same with the 6 GB, and you can not even create the 8 GB plan.

There is no wrong doing here by Public Mobile, no scam, no attempt to mislead you.  This carrier is offering services that for the most part are more affordable across the country, than the other carriers.  Exceptions possibly in Sask, MB, and QC as regional carriers are very competitive.

if you want to continue arguing with everyone in this forum, go right ahead.  We are all customers, and many of use are truly happy with the offers presented.  I’m on a super plan from 2 years ago, saving over $50 per month from what I was paying Rogers for (more data by double in fact) and I’ve never felt dupted  y the carrier.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

It's a package deal... Take the texting and enjoy the savings

@Anonymous wrote:

@Public_Exposure wrote:

Okay, best solution is to get the promoted deal (ends Oct. 16) and add on Canada wide talk. Thank you. But, just pointing out, you can play with all those buttons in make-your-own-plan and they all combine based on greater service for higher cost (except texting) it’s a weird outlier and stands out as stupid. That’s all I’m saying.

Another factor is that PM uses texting to notify you of things. How would you get notified if you didn't have texting? Are they really going to go to the effort of emailing you? Even the lowest of low plans has unlimited incoming texting....probably for that reason.

@Anonymous

I think you get texts from Public Mobile even if you don't have the text feature as part of your plan.

However, at Public Mobile you will not be able to receive incoming texts from anybody else if you don't have texts selected as part of your plan.

@Public_Exposure wrote:

But, just pointing out, you can play with all those buttons in make-your-own-plan and they all combine based on greater service for higher cost (except texting) it’s a weird outlier and stands out as stupid. That’s all I’m saying.

@Public_ExposureNo you are wrong on both things you said. It does not only happen on text it can also happen on voice. Also sometimes no text IS cheaper (see below) It happens because each service is X dollars for Y time period and each additional bundle gives you Z dollars off. If Z > X it happens.

Here is an example of no talk being cheaper

90 day Unlimited text 1.5gb $90 (with prov talk)

90 day Unlimited text 1.5gb $90 (with canada widertalk)

90 day Unlimited text 1.5gb $100 (NO talk)

Sometimes NO text is cheaper

90 day / Unlimited talk to Canada+USA No Data Unlimited text $135
90 day / Unlimited talk to Canada+USA No Data NO text $120

@Public_Exposure wrote:

Okay, best solution is to get the promoted deal (ends Oct. 16) and add on Canada wide talk. Thank you. But, just pointing out, you can play with all those buttons in make-your-own-plan and they all combine based on greater service for higher cost (except texting) it’s a weird outlier and stands out as stupid. That’s all I’m saying.

All of the current promo plans are Canada wide (plus US for the 8GB promo plan).

They end on October 15th.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Public_Exposure wrote:

Another factor is that PM uses texting to notify you of things. How would you get notified if you didn't have texting? Are they really going to go to the effort of emailing you? Even the lowest of low plans has unlimited incoming texting....probably for that reason.

Public_Exposure

@Public_Exposure wrote:

Charging extra fo NO texting, got a comment on that bizarro world item, that is the topic.

@Public_ExposureThink about it this way Unlimited, Internation Texting is the default.

Now they have to have this programming and system in place to decline your texts.

It costs more to have that system in place, to customize your plan without text since texting is built in as a default.

Call the newspaper delivery company and ask them to remove page 22 from your newspaper, well that costs extra, a lot of extra work involvd.

@Public_Exposure wrote:

Making your own plan is in effect unbundling and I expect to pay more than their package of dundled options. I guess I’m trying to give Public some feedback if the web site is accurate. Do I have trust in a company that does wacky stuff? Who prices things like this? Every other feature in there is based on the more service the higher the cost. Except texting were the less service costs more, it’s backwards. It creates confusion.

You press 4 buttons and it gives you a price. Take it for what it is, not what you want it to be. Those are the deals offered.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Public_Exposure wrote:

Making your own plan is in effect unbundling and I expect to pay more than their package of dundled options. I guess I’m trying to give Public some feedback if the web site is accurate. Do I have trust in a company that does wacky stuff? Who prices things like this? Every other feature in there is based on the more service the higher the cost. Except texting were the less service costs more, it’s backwards. It creates confusion.

I don't think I agree that BYO is unbundling. I see it more as building a bundle.

Just get the texting and pay less. I'm not sure how that's confusing. When I was first looking at PM sure I found that affect. But I accepted it as alrighty then that's how it rolls.

I'm not sure who in Public Mobile will notice your feedback but...all good. They're very slow to no response/result for several areas of feedback. So...y'know...good luck.

Public_Exposure

Charging extra fo NO texting, got a comment on that bizarro world item, that is the topic.

Public_Exposure

Anonymous
Not applicable

I checked my payment history. I started here on a BYO $35 plan. In payment history it says 3 Choices etc. It's bundling. Have we all said that enough for you?

@Public_Exposure wrote:

please go in there and make your own plan with and without Texting and see how the prices change.

@Public_ExposureCall Ford and ask them to buy an engine, transmission, 4 rims, a hood, both front air bags, both front seats, gas tank, fuel pump and alternator for a 2018 ford fiesta. The rims cost $1273 each btw.

When they respond with $21,200 you say, but the entire car is only $14,000 with everything

If you want 14 items you pay more than the entire car.

It's called bundling. They give you a deal if you buy everything at once in a nice little package.

Do I like the way it works? Not particularly.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

When there were no promotions etc there were discounts for the number of options you picked.  

Pick one no discount

Pick two some discount

Pick three bigger discount

The system used to show this discount but people found it confusing.

The pick three discount usually was greater than the cost of texting hence omiting testing would raise the total plan cost

You can opt for Province wide calling and unlimited texting, then go to Add-ons and get 200 or 400 Add-on minutes that allow you to call Cnada and International for resonable costs. That's what I've done as I seldom call out of BC. The Add-on minutes don't expire at month end either...they roll over monthly until use up, then you can get another Add-on. Welcome to PM and prepare to save $$$... in spite of that glitch.

@Public_Exposure wrote:

This has absolutely nothing to do with comparing to Public’s Plans. My question is similar to asking why 1 GB costs more than 2 GB of data. Before anyone else offers an answer, please go in there and make your own plan with and without Texting and see how the prices change.

1GB LTE is more expensive than 2GB 3G

1GB 3G is cheaper than 2.5GB 3G

Province wide / Canada wide is the same price with a triple bundle

Its all depending on the bundle, and current promoted items.

It's what you get, try to find a combination you like You save money bundling, sometimes certain items are on promotions. It may look like its drunk but thats how its set up. The prices offered are the prices you pay.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Public_Exposure wrote:

This has absolutely nothing to do with comparing to Public’s Plans. My question is similar to asking why 1 GB costs more than 2 GB of data. Before anyone else offers an answer, please go in there and make your own plan with and without Texting and see how the prices change.

It has everything to do with bundling. Data is pure profit for the carriers. So sure pay a little less for more data. Volume kind of thing.

The payment history even shows something like Pick 3 or something. So it's about bundling.

Public_Exposure

But only province wide calling, his kids are in two other provinces, otherwise I would grab that deal, thus looking to make own plan

Public_Exposure

@Public_Exposure

Interesting form of bundling.  I tried out a few options with different combinations.  Some plans without text were $15 more expensive than with text.  While other plan combinations, with text is $5 more expensive than without text.  

I guess choose the plan that works best for you.  Try to adjust things for the lowest cost.  The special bundles promos presently are good deals if you are interested.  End October 15.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Public_Exposure wrote:

Looking at Public Mobile for my Dad and maybe my family too. Under the build your own plan, under “Unlimited Text” are two choices. If you select “International” the monthly cost is $47, if “No Text” is selected the cost goes *UP* to $57. Is this a web site glitch or I don’t understand something, never heard of nothing costing more than something : /

It's a form of bundling. Sure, you can have just those features. Oh but look over here if you get all these features you can spend less overall.

It's not a glitch.

Need Help? Let's chat.