cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Text Messaging

peterk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have an Apple iPhone 7  and  $15. Public Mobile plan, which gives me

Unlimited  International Text and Picture Messaging among other things.

I am going to Europe in November 2020, to Croatia, for a few months. 

I would need to receive SMS messages from my Canadian bank while I am in Croatia. 

Do I need to do anything in Croatia to enable that or just wait for the message ?

(They have T-mobile there and I usually have stick internet for my laptop there.)

7 REPLIES 7

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@peterk  You can send/receive international texts only within Canada. This will not work in Europe. Most Canadian banks allow you to use another method for 2FA when you are abroad (secret questions or adding an international number). Check with your bank. Also for sites like PayPal and Amazon you can use authenticator apps instead of texts (better option and more secure).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Have I not read  here that inbound texts work in the USA without an add on?

If that is correct would inbound texts come in, while in Europe?

Can Public Mobile texts be forwarded to the text app? 

Inbound texts work in the states by virtue of the welcome text you get when you connect to a US tower of a partner network. The European towers will certainly see your phone and SIM transmitting...but they'll ignore your presence.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel wrote:

@peterk I suggest downloading the textnow app for a free Canadian number. I would actually just purchase a number so you don't lose it because of 15 days inactivity. and register this number to your bank account to receive the texts. this app can be used anywhere in the world, all you need is a wifi/data connection.

So I've been kinda wondering about this for a while and I finally went looking...from the Textnow site under:

How To Text Internationally

Calling And Texting When Outside The US and Canada:

When travelling abroad, you can send and receive text messages to a Canadian or an American number through TextNow if you have wifi available. You'll only be able to call or text Canadian and US numbers, and not numbers outside the US or Canada.

Have I not read  here that inbound texts work in the USA without an add on?

If that is correct would inbound texts come in, while in Europe?

Can Public Mobile texts be forwarded to the text app? 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@peterk I suggest downloading the textnow app for a free Canadian number. I would actually just purchase a number so you don't lose it because of 15 days inactivity. and register this number to your bank account to receive the texts. this app can be used anywhere in the world, all you need is a wifi/data connection.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@peterk the text messaging is from within Canada.  You will have no PM service in Europe. Look into getting a local SIM. Stay safe. 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@peterk Your Public Mobile plan will not work outside of Canada and if you buy a roaming add on, the USA. You will have to either buy a local SIM, buy a travel SIM or maybe just use WIFI.

Need Help? Let's chat.