cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase in telemarketing and robocalls Since switching

ryhei
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I switched after over a decade with Rogers to Public last month. Whole process was great. Easy activation. Number transfer no problem.

My only issue is I’m now getting a ton of robocalls. A few a day, usually. I’m checking numbers and blocking on my iPhone, but it’s kind of obnoxious. Anyone else experience this?

13 REPLIES 13

@ScanlonPublic mobile is a bare-bones value service provider, so they don't do much about it beyond the basic phone service. You can change the 'Busy / Declined' conditional call forward to a dead-end number to prevent these calls from going to your voicemail by dialing: *67*8080000000# to set, and ##67# to reset back to default. Declined calls will then just get a fast busy or endless ring. Unanswered and calls while phone is off or out of service area will continue to flow to voicemail as usual.

With that said, there may be some entertainment value in the calls if you can get a live human on the line.. For example, the fake CRA scam calls end with an option to press 1 to "speak to an officer" - then 3way/conference in Lenny. 😁

Scanlon

I am getting 3-4 robocalls a day from Service Canada and about my Social Insurance number.  everyone with a different number so blocking a number has no effect.  What is the company doing to address this annoyance???

lubimaer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue.

I've been with public mobile for years and I've never had this problem before.

Now I'm getting 2-3 calls per day!

Blocking numbers doesn't work as the callers are changing number every time.

Main problem is with every call I'm getting a voicemail that I'm forced to listen and erase manually! Extremely annoying!!!

I really hope PM can do something to stop this silly situation.

@philroy84 wrote:

I'm getting really pissed off here with public mobile. I was getting 3 robo calls a day at least on my old number. I changed my number and im getting robo calls again. I have other lines with Koodo and I get NONE. If this continues I'm making an official complaint with CRTC. I believe public mobile is giving out customer numbers to third parties. Not cool at all

Does your phone have the mark as spam option?

philroy84

I'm getting really pissed off here with public mobile. I was getting 3 robo calls a day at least on my old number. I changed my number and im getting robo calls again. I have other lines with Koodo and I get NONE. If this continues I'm making an official complaint with CRTC. I believe public mobile is giving out customer numbers to third parties. Not cool at all

I'm assuming I got some kind of spam call yesterday from a 331 areacode (Illinois).  Didn't leave a voice mail.

It's great when my phone is on silent while at work (as it's a personal device).  Only  important numbers ring while at work.

ryhei

Have you ever answered? Mine are usually dead on the other end. Just blocking indiscriminately now. I’m wondering if Rogers dumps your number in to a bin to sell bulk if you transfer it. Can’t see that passing the CRTC muster but then again they aren’t exactly consumer friendly themselves. 

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I’m was and still am having the same issues. When I first switched over from Fido, this was the first thing I noticed 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I think these robocalls is a crap shoot.  I get a lot on my wireless home phone running on Rogers network.  Air Canada is the biggest culprit.  Their robo calls come from all sorts of numbers including from overseas.  I have given up trying to block this stuff.  I simply let it go to voice mail and expire in waiting. 

They seem to come in waves here. Had a couple of weeks back in the summer with one of those calls every three or four days. I usually just add the number to my black list so that it's automatically rejected if they try again. That gets tricky if they are spoofing local business numbers, though.

Overall I haven't had any more or any less unwanted calls since switching to PM than I had with any of my previous providers.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I have gotten maybe four in the past six months which about on par with what I had previously with Freedom.

Did Rogers have some kind of spam call blocking at the network level?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

I haven't gotten any in my year here.  Not even You won a Cruise or 1XXXXXXXX airmiles nothing like that.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Yes, I do get some. Have blocked about 30 numbers in 3 years.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.