cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect data usage report?

terri2mail
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recieved 2 data usage warnings today within minutes of each other. The first one said I have used 75% of my data which suddenly flew up to the second one saying I had used 95% of my data. I am only 9 days into my billing cycle and I rarely use data of which I have 5.5 G. When I went into my data usage history it shows very little usage which makes sense. This is causing me a bit of a panic. Is there an error in the system? How can I challenge this as I don't want to go a the rest of the month without data or have to pay for more when I haven't used it? Help?

16 REPLIES 16

terri2mail

Thank you @sunflowershine  I have contacted the moderator for resolution. Just waiting on a response. 

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@terri2mail Agree. I had the same problem when I have had my data in the first month. I didn't even turn on the data at all, but the system said I used 30% of my data. I contacted the moderator right away and they correct the usage for me. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@terri2mail 

Short of searching forever...I have a glimmer of memory that there was a problem with resetting the data counter at renewal. The same remaining balance would go through the renewal rather than getting reset. And then you become aware that you've apparently used all your data. Combing through your usage history since your last renewal and adding up all the MB's (except MMS) might bear that out for your account. This happened maybe a month or two ago. Many things have gone a little screwy since about mid-March by my reckoning.

Worth having a look. You'd still need the mods to set things properly for you though.

terri2mail

Actually, I have read them all and I am looking at the usage history in my Public Mobile account. Perhaps you weren't aware this option is available? Please don't make assumptions about someone's intelligence or abilities. Thanks anyways.

@terri2mail wrote:

I have the data turned off for most of my apps and my usage history shows nothing.

Obviously, you haven’t read any of the responses here to do your own investigations.

What history are you looking at.  Your on phone data monitor is most likely out of sync with your start date.  Plans are not monthly, and if you don’t reset the monitor every renewal, it will not match the PM data monitoring.

if you’re looking at the PM data usage, you’re probably only looking at only the last 7 days.  Look at the last 30 or 90, depending on your cycle length.

@terri2mail wrote:

I have the data turned off for most of my apps and my usage history shows nothing.

Are you using iPhone? If yes, this my be an issue with Wi-Fi assist?

terri2mail

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@terri2mail wrote:

Mine says 5434.663  /  5632 MB which is absolutely impossible and does not show in my data history. I will have to try to contact the moderator. Thank you for your help!

@terri2mail how is that absolutely impossible?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

terri2mail

Mine says 5434.663  /  5632 MB which is absolutely impossible and does not show in my data history. I will have to try to contact the moderator. Thank you for your help!

@Bubbly100 wrote:

I would assume the data overview on your account is more accurate than the texts you have recieved, good luck sorting it out! 

The texts are based on the data tracked and displayed by PM.  If your get the 76% and 95% messages, you’re almost out of your data allotment.  No exceptions.  No ifs, ands, or buts about it.  It’s almost completely used, or fully used.

Bubbly100
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I would assume the data overview on your account is more accurate than the texts you have recieved, good luck sorting it out! 

chelsealzl
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Your usage history should be accurate. What does the overview say? If that's accurate as well I wouldn't worry about the text alerts.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@terri2mail 

Login to your account.

What is the usage line shown on the overview page?

I have used 3868MB out of my 5GB allotment.  What is yours saying?

5GB at 3G Speed
3868.109  /  5120 MB

Usage and plans are 30 or 90-day cycles, not monthly.

Your onboard data monitor is most likely out of whack, and not lined up with the 30 or 90-day cycles.

If you're on Android, I would suggest getting DataWitness PM from the PlayStore.  It's written by community member @IWIK  and is free to use as a Public Mobile subscriber.

On iOS, look for something in the AppStore (I'm an android guy..)

The data recorded by Public Mobile (viewable in your usage history in My Account) is accurate.  You have most likely had software updates or various background updates applied without your notice.

Edit:  Ninja'd by @geopublic 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@terri2mail wrote:

I recieved 2 data usage warnings today within minutes of each other. The first one said I have used 75% of my data which suddenly flew up to the second one saying I had used 95% of my data. I am only 9 days into my billing cycle and I rarely use data of which I have 5.5 G. When I went into my data usage history it shows very little usage which makes sense. This is causing me a bit of a panic. Is there an error in the system? How can I challenge this as I don't want to go a the rest of the month without data or have to pay for more when I haven't used it? Help?

@terri2mail  The PM data counter is very accurate. When you checked your data usage are you looking at the correct time period? Did your phone take any updates recently?  The following PM  article is a good resource in helping one manage your data usage. If you still believe there was an error notify PM. 

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderators are available: M-F from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time and S-S from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Note: Moderator Hours are subject to change, but you can always find the current times here

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@terri2mail wrote:

The 75% and 95% is what I've read on the forum as being PM's warning notice to users when they've reached those comsumption markers of their data.  If you feel there is an error you can contact the Moderator_Team here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

But you should check beforehand what apps are consuming data if you've not set any restrictions of updates being allowed on wifi only.  Usually it's a good idea to restrict background data too. 

Need Help? Let's chat.