cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming international calls

Khali39
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Dear all,

I have been having problems receiving international incoming calls from USA. Initially I had my family members to call their providers to have them add the area code 672 .. soon after all was ok for a couple of months and now again the same problem has occurred. They called their American providers and apparently there is no issue on their side... does anyone else have encountered the same problem? What do I need to do? 

10 REPLIES 10

@Eliza5 wrote:

@Khali39 ,

Here are some troubleshooting ideas:
- Check your phone compatibility
- Check your APN settings
- Power off your phone, remove your SIM card ,and wait one minute. Then put your SIM card back in and restart.
- Check if your account is active and your plan includes talk.

Hope this helps...let me know if it works.

Eliza5

Please know that APN settings have nothing to do with voice phone call ability. They're not related in any way.  Also, if a phone were not compatible, the member wouldn't be able to receive non-international calls either.

Eliza5
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Khali39 ,

Here are some troubleshooting ideas:
- Check your phone compatibility
- Check your APN settings
- Power off your phone, remove your SIM card ,and wait one minute. Then put your SIM card back in and restart.
- Check if your account is active and your plan includes talk.

If not send a message using this link...it is quick.

Hope this helps...let me know if it works.

Eliza5

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TigerKing wrote:

Thank you both, I shouldn’t have an issue as my area code was not included above. Take care

Those numbers are for you calling out...not incoming as in the subject line. You should be able to receive calls from anywhere on the planet. New area codes and prefixes are for the caller provider to figure out.

TigerKing
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you both, I shouldn’t have an issue as my area code was not included above. Take care

@TigerKing wrote:

I also have family in the states, and live in a border town so frequent the US (usually). I just signed up today though this sounds like a bit of a deal breaker to be honest. Is it typical that people from the US cannot call a PM number, or is it just due to his area code?

No, it's not typical. People can normally call Public Mobile customers fine, and this isn't even specific to Public Mobile. It is indeed about the area codes, but that's on the other carrier. The numbers are what they are and are Canadian phone numbers. The other carriers need to se their system to properly recognize that. Other carriers use the newer area codes too and numbers, especially at the older area codes, are subject to availability.

The newer area codes may give some problems when called from the US @TigerKing . It depends on whether or not they have been added by your family's provider. And there are these numbers that will not work with on Public Mobile. Calls made to numbers starting with the following six digit combinations are not included in U.S. Roaming talk Add-Ons or U.S. calling from Canada and will not be completed when dialled: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726. Welcome to PM.  Stay safe. 

TigerKing
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I also have family in the states, and live in a border town so frequent the US (usually). I just signed up today though this sounds like a bit of a deal breaker to be honest. Is it typical that people from the US cannot call a PM number, or is it just due to his area code?

tabi159w
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It might be a good idea to use a third-party app like Textnow or Fongo, or to use an app like WhatsApp to call internationally.

@Khali39 until they get it sorted get a voip app such as the TextNow app and use it over WiFi to make/ receive/ send calls and texts within Canada and to and from the US for free. Stay safe. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Do you have a landline they can call ?  You could try submitting a ticket to a moderator.

Here’s when and how to contact the Moderator Team:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.
Need Help? Let's chat.