cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming calls go directly to voice mail

petevg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Both my wife and I (on the same day) have most, but not all, of our incoming calls go directly to VM, without our phone ringing.  We both have Androids.  We have checked all the settings, ie. do not disturb, blocked numbers, etc.  We also had a Telus rep at a kiosk check our settings and he confirmed that they were correct.  We are mystified as to what going on.  Is anyone else experiencing this?

15 REPLIES 15

Tony49

Thankyou, this worked for both our phones and now they both ring.

pjgray
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the info!

@pjgray @petevg 

on 4G LTE devices, the PRL(preferred roaming list) is updated with your SIM card. To ensure you have the latest PRL, you can power your phone off and remove/reinsert the SIM card once a month or so.

when you reinsert your sim, you are in essence deleting your old sim from the 'system' this in turn forces your carriers network to force an update to the network, making cell towers 'aware' of the new sim, this can improve reception as any new agreements between carriers and their cell towers and any new cell towers since your last sim will be 'aware' of the new sim, allowing it to access them.
in turn 'improving' your reception, in areas you previously had bad reception

@pjgray 

Once a day change the setting back to 4G LTE/3G/2G autoconnect and test to see if incoming calling has returned to normal. Once it does you can stay on that setting again.

@pjgray from previous posts, this might due to equipment upgrades in your area.    it could be like this for a week.  

i think it is part of 5G upgrade

pjgray
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My husband and I had the same issue on our iphones.  Changing from LTE to 3G has resolved it for us, but can I find out WHY?  We have had them set to LTE for a couple of years and this issue just started this past week.  

petevg

Thanks so much fellow PM users.  This is my first time posting with a problem, and thanks to your combined wisdom and suggestions, the future is looking much better.  I have had two phone calls now, and heard the rings both times.

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@petevg wrote:

Thanks,  I made the switch and we'll see what happens.  So far:  one phone call came in and it rang.😀

There have been some presumptions that update/upgrade works by telcos have affected the performance of LTE networks That's why we suggest using 3G bands only as workaround in case customers have issues with dropped calls, etc...

petevg

Thanks,  I made the switch and we'll see what happens.  So far:  one phone call came in and it rang.😀

@petevg wrote:

So, on my Android, under Mobile Networks, I have selected WCDMA only.  Correct?

Yes, that is the setting that was being discussed earlier. The reasoning behind this would be if the network the carier is having difficulties with getting a phone to automatically (and quickly enough) to switch from LTE to WCDMA/HSPA (which is required for phone calls) when an incoming call comes in. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@petevg wrote:

@petevg 

Yes your Correct

selected WCDMA only

and do Rebooting your phone,

petevg

petevg

This was on Wednesday, Oct13.  We were both at home.  Today, (Friday) it's working slightly better.  I did follow the advice from another post:  report phone stolen,  wait 5 min. then report phone found,  turn off my phone for 1 min. then on again.  So, we'll see if that helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@petevg 

can you try manually selecting network "3G ONLY" or WCDMA only,

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

for android visit Here link ,

and do Rebooting your phone 

This is quick and simple,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

What day was this?  Was it when there was a service outage so perhaps that is why they went to voicemail?  Were you and your wife together in the same location that had poor/no reception?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.