cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming calls are automatically forwarded to a stranger

Tnielteson
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I signed up for Public a few days ago as a temporary service during my few weeks in Canada. I have an unlimited talk & text plan with data.

I can send texts, browse the web, and make calls just fine.

But whenever someone tries to call me, I never receive the call, and it goes to a complete stranger. There's also an issue with receiving text, with what seems like a 50/50 chance that it will get to me.

Solutions I've tried already includes hard resetting my iPhone, and modifying the APN; but nothing I've tried has worked so far, and so here I am.

10 REPLIES 10

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am   I doubt there's a port involved since the OP is only visiting Canada.

@Tnielteson  Are your incoming calls going to a stranger (they answer?) Or is it going to voicemail? Have you set your voicemail up? It may be a connectivity issue. Go to settings. Turn your airplane mode on. Wait 10 minutes. Turn airplane mode off. Reboot phone. Test your incoming calling and texting. Do they work now?

The described behavior was strange and so I had to ask.  Smiley Surprised

@Tnielteson  That's great. If the issues creeps up again (you can only change numbers once every 30 days) try using airplane mode on/off this will usually fix connection issues with your phone. Enjoy your stay in Canada!

Tnielteson

Changing the number was the solution that worked.

It actually took a few tries, but I tested it and calls go through just fine now.

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Tnielteson 

Have you made sure that call forwarding has not been accidently activated? The texts could be a reception, phone, or network issue and send a message to the moderators using the "?" could help. These two issues although unlikely could have two different causes.

@Tnielteson wrote:

Thank you very much!

I tried this first solution, and it worked!

Thank you everyone for your quick and informative responses!

@TnieltesonWhich one worked? Changing your number? Your texting works? If not you may still need an update and turn off I message as @popping  suggests.

Tnielteson

Thank you very much!

I tried this first solution, and it worked!

Thank you everyone for your quick and informative responses!

@will13am   I doubt there's a port involved since the OP is only visiting Canada.

@Tnielteson  Are your incoming calls going to a stranger (they answer?) Or is it going to voicemail? Have you set your voicemail up? It may be a connectivity issue. Go to settings. Turn your airplane mode on. Wait 10 minutes. Turn airplane mode off. Reboot phone. Test your incoming calling and texting. Do they work now?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Tnielteson 

Check the configuration of your iMessage settings to use cellular channel to sent and receive text message instead of iMessage.  You get about half of text messages is that your friend with Android phone will not get your message if you send message using iMessage instead of cellular channel.

APN setting is only for data usage only.  It has nothing to do with your call and text.

Your incoming calls going to voicemail.  You account may not be provision correctly.  Adding $1 to you account may trigger PM server to provision your account again.  You can ask moderator to fix your account since this is a temporary service for you.  You may not stay with PM long enough to use the $1 in your account on your next renewal date.

Create a moderator support ticket for help using the ? button at the right side bottom corner of this page.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Tnielteson , it sounds like there is a number port involved?  If so, it is likely stuck and your calls are still going to the old service.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tnielteson wrote:

Hello,

I signed up for Public a few days ago as a temporary service during my few weeks in Canada. I have an unlimited talk & text plan with data.

I can send texts, browse the web, and make calls just fine.

But whenever someone tries to call me, I never receive the call, and it goes to a complete stranger. There's also an issue with receiving text, with what seems like a 50/50 chance that it will get to me.

Solutions I've tried already includes hard resetting my iPhone, and modifying the APN; but nothing I've tried has worked so far, and so here I am.

Assuming you just picked a new number...maybe try changing your number in the self-serve.

APN won't do anything in this case.

Connect to your itunes with wifi on and see if an update comes across. Though I'm not 100% sure about Apple products.

Need Help? Let's chat.