cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming Calls Routed to Wrong Person (Not Me)

dustinJfo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I am very concerned. Multiple family and friends have been trying to contact me and when they call my number, some guy answers and said he just got this number 3 days ago. My phone is not forwarded as of today I am able to receive incoming calls today and this seemed to be happening more on Saturday  This is a major privacy/security concern. Any ideas on what might be happening?

16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dustinJfo 

When I first signed up here a little over a year ago, I selected a number from the offered list, got all going and I was on my way in the brave new world of prepaid. I immediately got calls for someone in an immediate fashion. Like are you coming to work tomorrow or such things of an immediate nature. I told callers that they had the wrong number. I got a good few calls for the same person. From the sounds of some of the calls I kinda wondered if they were into some nefarious activities. That and banks and collectors asking for the name.

Then after participating here and hearing about the wrong people answering the wrong number I realized that when I signed up, the system must have somehow let me take someones active number.

@dustinJfo wrote:

I was originally with Freedom and ported the number over to PM  Mar 19, 2019. 

@dustinJfo  Do you know if the other person is with Freedom? If yes, then it sounds like Freedom messed up and assigned him your ported number. Maybe best to call Freedom and ask them to assign him another number and update their number datsbase.

dustinJfo

I was originally with Freedom and ported the number over to PM  Mar 19, 2019. 

bravo_md
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I was talking thru my experience too, not my hat!   Have a good day.

@geopublic wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@bravo_md wrote:

Sounds like you r number is in middle of a port.    Send message to the moderators for help with your problem.

How would a number port cause phone calls to go to someone else?  First off, for phone calls to be goint to the other person, the port would have had to have been finalized and thay person would have need the OP's account information.  Also, the OP's service would be working at all right now if that happened. This isn't a number porting issue.

@computergeek541 Assume that a person had the OPs account information and initiated a port from PM to provider A. Let's also assume that PM has not released the number yet. If one of the OPs friends uses provider A and calls that number wouldn't he get routed to the person who initiated the port? Also, if another friend that is with PM called the OP then the call would get routed to the OP. So theoretically it is possible isn't it?

Not in my experience:   I have done port-ins from other carriers to Public Mobile and calling from another Public Mobile phone has resulted in calls going to the old carrier right up until the point that the port was finalized.  It was only text messaging within the same carrier that got delivered to the new carrier.

@dustinJfo well that's good as long as it has stopped I guess still a little concerning though

@computergeek541 wrote:

@bravo_md wrote:

Sounds like you r number is in middle of a port.    Send message to the moderators for help with your problem.

How would a number port cause phone calls to go to someone else?  First off, for phone calls to be goint to the other person, the port would have had to have been finalized and thay person would have need the OP's account information.  Also, the OP's service would be working at all right now if that happened. This isn't a number porting issue.

@computergeek541 Assume that a person had the OPs account information and initiated a port from PM to provider A. Let's also assume that PM has not released the number yet. If one of the OPs friends uses provider A and calls that number wouldn't he get routed to the person who initiated the port? Also, if another friend that is with PM called the OP then the call would get routed to the OP. So theoretically it is possible isn't it?

dustinJfo

Yes I can log in to my self-serve account

The person said he got the number online 3 days ago when my mom called Friday about 5:30 pm

My mom called back Saturday and she got the same guy, he knew my full name from other people calling for me and said he has received multiple calls for me.

business colleges and family members have called and contacted me by email as they thought someone had my phone or something happened to me.

as of today, it seems fine my number is receiving incoming calls

this just seems to be a very significant security concern and want to know what happened

I have contacted a mod to try and figure this out

@dustinJfo wrote:

Hello, I am very concerned. Multiple family and friends have been trying to contact me and when they call my number, some guy answers and said he just got this number 3 days ago. My phone is not forwarded as of today I am able to receive incoming calls today and this seemed to be happening more on Saturday  This is a major privacy/security concern. Any ideas on what might be happening?

We've seen some strange things in the with Public Mobile assigning already active phone numbers to new customers.  I can only speculate that on the other end, the other customer ending up needing to change the phone number.  However, at no time should your calls have been going to the other person.  If it's resolved I wouldn't worry about it now.  Public Mobile/Telus likely saw an issue with the routing of calls and applied some type of correction.

@dustinJfo yea there is definitely a problem only PM moderators can help you with not good you may want to consider changing your number in self serve depending how attached you are  to it, it will be a few days for sure before moderators will do anything

@dustinJfo wrote:

I have had this number for months

this man who answered said he just got this number 3 days ago 

@dustinJfo  Can you login into your selfserve account? 

@bravo_md wrote:

How would a number port cause phone calls to go to someone else?  First off, for phone calls to be goint to the other person, the port would have had to have been finalized and thay person would have need the OP's account information.  Also, the OP's service wouldn't be working at all right now if that happened. This isn't a number porting issue.

bravo_md

Then your number is getting ported to the other guy nby mistake.    Notify the moderators of the problem!

dustinJfo

I have had this number for months

this man who answered said he just got this number 3 days ago 

bravo_md

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@dustinJfo I would suggest you contact a moderator and tell them your issue click here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.